Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Is this a favorable option for the Jets QB situation

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this a favorable option for the Jets QB situation

Many people believe that Clemens will and should get the job over Chad Pennington. If he does it seems that the Jets should move Chad for a number of reasons.

He makes too much money to be a back-up, could have a negative effect on KC, the team may not be able to embrace KC as a leader while Chad is still there, etc. etc.

How do people feel about bringing in Billy Volek?

Allow it to be an open competition between KC and Volek; with the most likely outcome having KC start and Volek back him up. I think it would make much more sense than many of the other QBs available as free agents.

Volek has started 8 games in 2004 with moderate success and had no problem transitioning back into his role as back-up QB, so there is a chance he doesn't have a big ego.

I don't think there will be a team to sign him as a starter, more than likely it would be a similar situation; he would compete with either the existing QB or with whoever gets brought in.

Any thoughts?

Here is the article link, although it is just a blurb towards the end about the Chargers wanting to keep him but how he will probably look elsewhere for a team he may have a shot at starting for....

[url]http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080123/news_1s23chargers.html[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Volek > the Noodle

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just say no to mediocrity, flavor of the second backups, and other teams unwanted leftovers.

No.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2331660]Just say no to mediocrity, flavor of the second backups, and other teams unwanted leftovers.

No.[/QUOTE]

Backup is what he is. A serviceable guy. Not too many Steve Youngs waiting in the wings. Volek is exactly that...a serviceable guy.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2331660]Just say no to mediocrity, flavor of the second backups, and other teams unwanted leftovers.

No.[/QUOTE]

So if Chad is traded like many of us hope who would you think is an option. We either draft one or bring in a guy like Volek. Not too much out there Fish.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is Volek gonna be a FA?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;2331677]We either draft one[/QUOTE]

Our front office gets paid a VERY large sum of money to find players and scout talent. Some here go as far as to call our drafts "genius" thus far. I am no scout, nor will I pretend to be here. It's Tanny and Mangini's JOB to find someone to compete (not backup, KC has in no way earned a unquestioned #1 job, he must compete) with Clemens in 2008.

I'm tired of excuses about the market being "weak" for DT's and "weak" for QB's and "weak" for this and that and everything else every year for our needs.

This is going to be year three, and our most important position, QB, is an absolute unknown crapshoot. Worse, the QB's we have are a gimp, and what looks like a potential bust. Which might be okay if we had built a good O-line and D-line. We haven't.

So no more excuses. Volek is a scrub #2, Ramsey in different clothes, and I refuse to fall for THAT fantasy again. I don't care how hard it may be to find a QB, they better find one.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i said this a couple weeks ago when i saw rivers get injured in the indy game. i think volek is a good backup and has potential to be a starter if needed

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bk1290;2331697]i said this a couple weeks ago when i saw rivers get injured in the indy game. i think volek is a good backup and has potential to be a starter if needed[/QUOTE]

Jeff fisher would disagree with that. He,s a 31 year old backup, no thanks.

And according to some previous coach's and players could not handle the role of starting qb.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The part where Chad is off the team is definitely a favorable option for the Jets.

Volek is a legit #2. Not a starter. If you want a #2, he's a very good option. Volek >>> Ramsey. And for sure >>>> Chad. Remember all the guys here that wanted him to be our starter when Heimerdinger was OC?

Anyway, I like the idea. Someone has to come in t push Kellen. Volek is as good as anyone else available.

I'd take a look at Losman too, who might be a better option.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Volek would be on the short list of QB options that intrigue me. Shaun Hill looked good this year when he was in there for the 49ers, Cleo Lemon looked like a decent option too despite being on a miserable offense. If you count his Rushing TDs he had 10 TDs to 6 INT's. Billy Volek is another one, every time he's gotten the chance, he's performed. I'm not quite sure why he hasn't gotten a chance in this league. Should we decide to move Pennington, I would love to get one of these guys and take a QB in the mid rounds of the draft (Chad Henne?, Dennis Dixon? Josh Johnson? Erik Ainge?) with potential and let them battle it out for the job.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2331691]Our front office gets paid a VERY large sum of money to find players and scout talent. Some here go as far as to call our drafts "genius" thus far. I am no scout, nor will I pretend to be here. It's Tanny and Mangini's JOB to find someone to compete (not backup, KC has in no way earned a unquestioned #1 job, he must compete) with Clemens in 2008.

I'm tired of excuses about the market being "weak" for DT's and "weak" for QB's and "weak" for this and that and everything else every year for our needs.

This is going to be year three, and our most important position, QB, is an absolute unknown crapshoot. Worse, the QB's we have are a gimp, and what looks like a potential bust. Which might be okay if we had built a good O-line and D-line. We haven't.

So no more excuses. Volek is a scrub #2, Ramsey in different clothes, and I refuse to fall for THAT fantasy again. I don't care how hard it may be to find a QB, they better find one.[/QUOTE]

my only point Warfish is that I think out of all the free agent QB's he is the best option for a backup to Clemens. He has been in the league, started, and had success. If we dump Chad, find out KC isn't the man...this guy may be a nice mainstay until we could find someone for the future.

Next season's free agent QBs aren't too hot either.

These aren't excuses...it is reality. You can't sign someone who is available....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Draft Chad Henne

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2331937]my only point Warfish is that I think out of all the free agent QB's he is the best option for a backup to Clemens. He has been in the league, started, and had success. If we dump Chad, find out KC isn't the man...this guy may be a nice mainstay until we could find someone for the future.

Next season's free agent QBs aren't too hot either.

These aren't excuses...it is reality. You can't sign someone who is available....[/QUOTE]

You'll have to forgive me, my frustration with this franchise has me a bit pissy this offseason.

But put simply, I do not want a backup QB when we dump Chad. I want someone to come in and be a legitimate competitor for the #1 Job, with upside and a future. Volek, in my view, has none of these traits.

But I have to be honest, I don't see this franchise making me happy or optimistic this offseason. We'll be lucky if we get a #2 even as good as Volek (which isnt that good), and that sadens me, and makes me even more pissy.

Yet more mediocrity and settling. It wears on you after a while.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2332016]You'll have to forgive me, my frustration with this franchise has me a bit pissy this offseason.

But put simply, I do not want a backup QB when we dump Chad. I want someone to come in and be a legitimate competitor for the #1 Job, with upside and a future. Volek, in my view, has none of these traits.

But I have to be honest, I don't see this franchise making me happy or optimistic this offseason. We'll be lucky if we get a #2 even as good as Volek (which isnt that good), and that sadens me, and makes me even more pissy.

Yet more mediocrity and settling. It wears on you after a while.[/QUOTE]

Well thats life with a young QB. He can bust and set us back further(imagine that lol) or he can start to ball and make us not worry about whos #2. At this point there is not much available with upside. Either we draft someone mid to late and get lucky or we bring in a guy like Losman and he finds himself.. If not, we are looking at the Voleks of the world if we trade Chaddy Franchise.

Either way I agree. I dont see much happening on the QB front that makes my toes tingle.. We just need Kellen to make us proud.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 01-23-2008 at 07:34 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next year the Jets go 11-5..Pennington throws 29 Td's, 12 picks..They are a wildcard team and win the first playoff game big. The next game they lose to the Patriots at Foxborough even though Chad plays fairly well but does throw a costly 3rd quarter interception. Still looking to replace him in 2009?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gcherd;2332237]Next year the Jets go 11-5..Pennington throws 29 Td's, 12 picks..They are a wildcard team and win the first playoff game big. The next game they lose to the Patriots at Foxborough even though Chad plays fairly well but does throw a costly 3rd quarter interception. Still looking to replace him in 2009?[/QUOTE]

Let the Pennington era die plz.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revis;2332239]Let the Pennington era die plz.[/QUOTE] Sorry, dude. Martin Luther King day was this week: " I Have a Dream"