Thread: Cowboys Shopping Spears and Carpenter

All Pro

Cowboys Shopping Spears and Carpenter

The Dallas Morning News is reporting that the Cowboys are shopping former 1st round picks DE Marcus Spears and LB Bobby Carpenter at the Senior Bowl. Spears was one of two Dallas 1st rounders in 2005, while Carpenter was the teamís top pick the following year.
    -----------------------------------------

Any interest in these reclamation projects?

Carpenter is still very very young and new to the league. If this is true I'm surprised they're throwing him away so soon. Just goes to show why we should have no fear of Miami while Parcells is in charge of personnel. Seriously, he's a great coach but a terrible talent evaluator.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I liked Carpenter a lot coming out of OSU, looks like both him and Schlegel benefitted from playing next to AJ Hawk.

All Pro
    Marcus Spears | #96 | DE

Dallas Cowboys | Official Team Site
    [B]
    Height: 6-4 Weight: 305 Age: 24[/B]
    --------------------
    Possible 3-4 DE depth. For the record, this now throw away started ahead of kenyon coleman.

Bobby Carpenter | #54 | LB

Dallas Cowboys | Official Team Site

[B]Height: 6-2 Weight: 248 Age: 24[/B]
    ----------------------------
    Possible 3-4 LB depth. For the record, Chatham and Kassell are absolutely garbage.

I wonder what the asking price is for these guys.

Carpenter is going to go somewhere where they run a 4-3 and be an effing stud....mark it down.

Bobby Carpenter in the 43 will succeed, he was never suited for the 34.

As for Spears, I cannot believe Dallas is shopping him but it would be interesting to see if the Jets would consider pursuing him. Of course, it wouldn't be for the 6th overall pick, but what about our 2nd round pick? Could be interesting.

Good, that means a new contract is in the works for Canty.

Carpenter had a pretty bad injury and hasn't played much......except on special teams. The Cowboys ILB starters are damn good tho.

[QUOTE=JetsFanInSec124;2332013]Bobby Carpenter in the 43 will succeed, he was never suited for the 34.

[B]As for Spears, I cannot believe Dallas is shopping him but it would be interesting to see if the Jets would consider pursuing him. Of course, it wouldn't be for the 6th overall pick, but what about our 2nd round pick? Could be interesting[/B].[/QUOTE]

Thats what I was thinking. I like the kid and think he can play, but he is not worth the 6th overall...I dont even know if its worth a 1st round swap. I feel like they would need to give us another late rounder...4th or something.

If the Jets could work something out for Spears that would be great. Of course its dependent on the cost, but the ability to get a very young guy who you KNOW fits the system is a rarity. I would hope this is something that the Jets have to look at, as DL is one of the very many positions they need to be looking at upgrading.

Veteran
    So what does this mean for Chris Canty? Is Jones less likely to let him go now?

Either of these 2 could play for my Jets team any day.

[QUOTE=Bronxville Jets Fan;2332446]So what does this mean for Chris Canty? Is Jones less likely to let him go now?[/QUOTE]

Less? If they're shopping Spears, I'd say it's a lock Canty's getting locked up long term.

I hope somebody gives Bobby Carpenter another chance. He obviously got on someone's bad side or screwed something up in Dallas. He is a very gifted player physically, but can get out of control (kind of a hot head). He has the physical tools, but it remains to be seen if he can adopt a professional approach to the game.

I'm afraid I dont think the Jets are the place for Bobby. He doesnt really respond well to authoritarian coaching (notice that he apparantly didnt get on well with Parcell's style) and he doesnt seem to be able to adapt well to new systems. I cant see him fitting in well with the Mangini/ Bellicheck style.

Unlike others here I think he is well suited (physically) for the 3-4 D. He has the physical potential to be another Mike Vrabel. His senior year at tOSU he played a kind of a hybrid DE/LB position and was quick off the edges on the pass rush. I dont think he reads plays particularly well and he plays best when he doesnt have to fight his way through Olinemen. So, I dont think he is a fit for ILB.

Bottom line, he would be a physical upgrade over Hobson (who is a FA), but I'm not sure he's a good fit for Mangini.

[QUOTE=tacitus0;2332887]I hope somebody gives Bobby Carpenter another chance. He obviously got on someone's bad side or screwed something up in Dallas. He is a very gifted player physically, but can get out of control (kind of a hot head). He has the physical tools, but it remains to be seen if he can adopt a professional approach to the game.

I'm afraid I dont think the Jets are the place for Bobby. He doesnt really respond well to authoritarian coaching (notice that he apparantly didnt get on well with Parcell's style) and he doesnt seem to be able to adapt well to new systems. I cant see him fitting in well with the Mangini/ Bellicheck style.
    [/QUOTE]

This is a bit off man. go back to [url=http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=157677]this thread[/url] and search my sections on Carp AND Spears.

[QUOTE=Fatty_VM;2332909]This is a bit off man. go back to [url=http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=157677]this thread[/url] and search my sections on Carp AND Spears.[/QUOTE]

My statements about Carpenter's temper and temperment are based more on his days at tOSU than his days with Dallas. I didnt have any other explanation for why a 1st round pick would be having so much difficulty finding his way to the field. Yours is reasonable, but teams usually at least find ways to get their first rounders some significant PT in their first and second years if they are working well just for the experience they gain and to make sure they can fill in when necessary due to injury or contracts. I still say there's more to it than an unfortunate slide down the depth chart. First rounders rarely suffer from depth chart issues unless they are struggling.

[QUOTE=Fatty_VM;2332909]This is a bit off man. go back to [url=http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=157677]this thread[/url] and search my sections on Carp AND Spears.[/QUOTE]

COWBOY FANS WILL LOVE THIS:

[url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=K2triiYXSY8[/url]