Thread: JI Late Senior Bowl Report

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images

JI Late Senior Bowl Report

Another installment on the front page. Enjoy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Sooth there seems to be a mistake in the article.

It says the Jets have been into Newberry College offensive lineman Heath Benedict. Then, when it talks about an offensive lineman a paragraph later, it doesn't talk about Heath but about someone with the last name "Arnold" and no first name mentioned as if it had been mentioned earlier but never was.

Are the Jets checking out Heath Benedict, whoever this Arnold guy is, or both?

Please see if you can get some clarification and thanks in advance. :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Benedict is HUGE!

6'6'' 335 lbs. :eek:

[url]http://newberryindians.athleticsite.com/profile.asp?playerID=273[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Great article about Benedict here also:

[url]http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/heath_benedict.htm[/url]

[B]Heath Benedict, 2008 NFL Draft Prospect[/B]

Offensive Tackle
    6' 5" 333 lbs.
    Speed: 4.92
    Newberry College (Division II)
    Senior

I am writing this scouting report on [B]May 2, 2007[/B], [B]just days after the 2007 NFL Draft.[/B] This time next year, all the top NFL Draft Websites are going to be singing the praise of Heath Benedict after he gets drafted in the 3rd round of the 2008 NFL Draft. Of course that is speculation, making such a bold statement before a single snap has been played in the 2008 football season. I am not the only one that likes Benedict’s Pro Potential; my friends over at Walter’s Football Site have him in the second round of their impressive 2008 NFL Mock Draft.

Benedict was thinking about entering the 2007 NFL Draft, even submitting for an evaluation to the NFL’s College Advisory Committee to evaluate his draft status. Newberry coach Zak Willis told him that if he was projected as a third round pick or higher, he (Benedict) should enter the draft.

Benedict, who originally signed with Tennessee, considered giving up his final season for the NFL. “My family and I are discussing my plans for next year,” Benedict said by phone. The NFL “is definitely something to think about.”

Benedict decided to return to Newberry for his final year, he was graded out by the NFL as a 6th or 7th rounder, probably due to his entering the draft early and his small school (Division II) pedigree, but not because of talent.

The Jacksonville Jaguars actually gave him an "unofficial" workout after the 2006 season, thinking he was going to enter the 2007 NFL Draft. He weighed in at 6' 5.5" 332 pounds and ran a 4.92 forty yard dash. His arms were measured at 34" and he scored a 31 on the Wonderlic test. He also benched 225 pounds 28 times. Benedict also has a 435 pound bench, 625 pound squat, and power clean of 330 pounds. Don't worry, the workout will not effect his eligibility as no money or favors were discussed or given, and he has never negotiated with an agent.

Benedict was named to the AP’s Little All-America first team after helping the Indians (11-2) to their first Division II South Atlantic Conference title and NCAA playoff berth. The Little All-America team honors players not part of college football’s largest divisions, I-A and I-AA.

Last season (2006) Benedict was one of the top players in Division II once again, being selected as a first team D2Football.com All-American, he was also an All-South Atlantic Conference first team offensive lineman and a finalist for the prestigious Gene Upshaw Division II Lineman of the Year Award. He was also the winner of the Jacobs Award as the best blocker.

In 2005 he played in eight of nine games, and was named to the 2005 All-South Atlantic Conference first team after being named to the preseason All-SAC team the prior summer. He participated in 555 plays, and graded out at 82% with 50 knockdown blocks.

In 2004, in his first season, (redshirt freshman) at Newberry, he started every game at right tackle, participated in 802 plays and led the offensive line with 67 pancake blocks. He graded out at 86.5% for the year on passing plays.

Prior to signing with Tenessee, he was a highly decorated and recruited high school baseball and football player. As a senior, Benedict was the #1 rated player in New Jersey, playing at The Peddie School in Hightstown, and was ranked the 85th-best college prospect overall. He played in the national High School All-Star Game and earned USA Today Second-Team All-American status.

“Heath has as much talent as anybody I’ve ever seen,” commented assistant coach and co-offensive coordinator Joe Blackwell. “He can run the 40 in 4.67, and is good enough and fast enough to play both sides of the ball.” Rivals.com had his speed listed coming out of high school as 4.82 seconds, which is still fast for a 6’ 6” 300 pounder. Benedict is very athletic and multi-talented; he was also a star pitcher, with a fastball clocked at 94 mph. He led his team to a state baseball title and 21-2 record as a junior. He has tremendous upside because he never really focused on football until college, his primary sport in high school was baseball.

He was the 7th ranked prospect coming out of high school by Rivals.com. Benedict was ranked higher than Marcus McNeil (Chargers), Max Jean-Gilles (Eagles) and James Martin (Cowboys). He was heavily recruited by Miami (Fl), Florida State, Nebraska, Tennessee and South Carolina. He chose Tennessee, but was redshirted in 2002, after he got his right elbow cleaned out (scoped). His injury stemmed from his pitching days in high school and he underwent arthroscopic right elbow surgery after spring practice, and then subsequently transferred to Division II Newberry in 2004. He sat out of football in 2003.

NFL Draft Dog recently had a telephonic interview with Mr. Benedict, and I asked him why he left Tennessee. He said, " Tennessee was a great place, I really enjoyed it, but it was not a good fit for me. I started (at Tennessee) out at defensive tackle, then was moved to offensive guard, and then to offensive tackle. I don't have any animosity towards Tennessee, but I had connections at Newberry, and transferring to a Division II school would mean I could play right away and not lose a year of eligibility".

Benedict has incredible strength, speed and agility. He sinks his hips and moves people out of the way when run blocking, but also slides and uses his hands well in pass protection. As long as he stays healthy and out of trouble he should easily emerge as a day one pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JMJ;2332200]Sooth there seems to be a mistake in the article.

It says the Jets have been into Newberry College offensive lineman Heath Benedict. Then, when it talks about an offensive lineman a paragraph later, it doesn't talk about Heath but about someone with the last name "Arnold" and no first name mentioned as if it had been mentioned earlier but never was.

Are the Jets checking out Heath B[B]enedict[/B], whoever this [B]Arnold[/B] guy is, or both?

Please see if you can get some clarification and thanks in advance. :yes:[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.ftedward.com/History/OldFort/Images/arnold.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=JMJ;2332200]Sooth there seems to be a mistake in the article.

Are the Jets checking out Heath Benedict, whoever this Arnold guy is, or both?

Please see if you can get some clarification and thanks in advance. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Heath Benedict Arnold - just a joke from the writer.

Scott Wright said on [url]www.nfldraftcountdown.com[/url] that the Jets talked to Dejuan Tribble, Matt Forte and Gosder Cherilus today after the practices. Tribble is a stud, undersized, but a stud. I haven't heard much about Forte, but Cherilus will be bust in the NFL when it comes to speed rushers. Mark it down.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;2332218]Heath Benedict Arnold - just a joke from the writer.[/QUOTE]

Well I oughta ..... :mad:

[QUOTE=Jets904;2332219]Scott Wright said on [url]www.nfldraftcountdown.com[/url] that the Jets talked to Dejuan Tribble, Matt Forte and Gosder Cherilus today after the practices. Tribble is a stud, undersized, but a stud. I haven't heard much about Forte, but Cherilus will be bust in the NFL when it comes to speed rushers. Mark it down.[/QUOTE]

I think Cherilus could be good at RT, he is not a natural fit at LT. He may think he is, and teams may try and have him there, but he is better for RT. I would love to get him, he plays nasty, and is big, athletic, long arms. He would be a good fit for us. Add some much needed talent on the line.

Also I would like Joe Flacco, that guy has a arm! I was watching him on NFL.com, he shows me a lot. He has a compact delivery, hes big, 6-6. Quick release, accurate, throws with a lot of arm strength. I would really like to get that dude, maybe 3rd round. He looks good to me, reminds me a little of a Derek Anderson.