Thread: Are these the Senior Bowl OL we're looking at ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Are these the Senior Bowl OL we're looking at ?

GUARD

• Robert Felton Arkansas 6037 313 34 95/8

• Roy Schuening Oregon St. 6035 308 327/8 85/8

RIGHT TACKLE

• Sam Baker USC 6044 308 323/8 82/8

• Kirk Barton Ohio St. 6043 303 332/8 91/8

• Heath Benedict Newberry 6046 321 334/8 95/8

• Gosder Cherilus Boston College 6065 315 355/8 114/8

• Carl Nicks Nebraska 6047 343 35 92/8

• Chris Williams Vanderbilt 6061 320 327/8 97/8

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think my favorites would be Williams in the 2nd and Schuening in the 3rd.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hoping for Cherilus or Nicks in the 2nd.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    there're junior OL worth looking at as well in this draft

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a solid list. I'm most interested in the tackles, Williams, Cherilius, Nicks, and Benedict to be specific. Nothing against Baker, just don't think he's the right fit for the right side.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Williams if we go for a tackle in the 2nd

Benedict if we go for a tackle in the 3rd

Barton if we go for a tackle in the 4th/5th (hope he falls that far because he could be a nice mid round pick)

For Guards, I'd prefer to address that position through FA but it wouldn't hurt to add depth in the later rounds of the draft. I like what I've read about Andrew Crummey from Maryland who is projected 6-7th round right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Darth Vader;2332415]there're junior OL worth looking at as well in this draft[/QUOTE]

Here's a few of the top juniors as well

OG Branden Albert, Virginia

OT Ryan Clady, Boise St
    OT Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh
    OT Anthony Collins, Kansas

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at all of these names, it's a good year to be pursuing OL. In the first 3 or 4 rounds we should be able to pick up 2 solid players that could start next season.

Even if we pick up 1 or 2 FA linemen, I'd still like to take 1 or 2 late round OT's. This team really needs some depth on the OL. And this is the draft to get it.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    If somehow the Longs and Gholston are gone when we pick I wouldn't mind taking Clady if we can't trade down. He's gonna be a very good OT in this league.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last year 12 OT & OG went in the first 3 rounds. The lists above + Jake Long = 13. So if we're looking for starters (which we are) I'd say we have to draft these guys early. I'd guess the only ones left when we pick in the early 4th might be Felton and Barton. So I'd really like for the Jets to go 2nd and 3rd round picks on OL.

But that strategy conflicts with getting guys like Red Bryant, Quentin Groves, Chris Ellis or Shawn Crable in the 2nd. Any of those guys could really help our Defense.

So what direction will the Jets go - OL or Defensive front 7 with that 2nd round pick? It will be interesting to see.

I think if the Jets can get at least one OL in FA, then we'd have more flexibility in the draft.
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 01-24-2008 at 09:36 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bonkertons;2332648]If somehow the Longs and Gholston are gone when we pick I wouldn't mind taking Clady if we can't trade down. He's gonna be a very good OT in this league.[/QUOTE]

i've heard his work ethic, attitude and heart are all suspect... and that's from sources who are supposed to be hyping him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BlueDevilJet29;2332511]Williams if we go for a tackle in the 2nd

Benedict if we go for a tackle in the 3rd

Barton if we go for a tackle in the 4th/5th (hope he falls that far because he could be a nice mid round pick)

For Guards, I'd prefer to address that position through FA but it wouldn't hurt to add depth in the later rounds of the draft. I like what I've read about Andrew Crummey from Maryland who is projected 6-7th round right now.[/QUOTE]

Williams probably a first rounder, benedict probably a 2nd. Barton and Crummey stink.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2332792]Williams probably a first rounder, benedict probably a 2nd. Barton and Crummey stink.[/QUOTE]

Bitonti - what's your take on Heath Benedict ? After Jacob Bender not playing last year, I'm gun-shy on taking another small college OL.

And what about Sam Baker as an LG for the Jets ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;2332841]Bitonti - what's your take on Heath Benedict ? After Jacob Bender not playing last year, I'm gun-shy on taking another small college OL.

And what about Sam Baker as an LG for the Jets ?[/QUOTE]

benedict isn't a true small schooler, he started out at univ of tennessee and transferred. probably the best div II prospect for a decade or more. he's legit.

Sam Baker is a great player who might be best at left guard but someone might take him higher to play tackle. he's got the feet for that position and does a nice job. he's a quirky guy in terms of attitude, a real california guy and will need to find the right team to fit - if he ends up with a taskmaster like Mangini it might not be best fit between personality and player, JMO.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    mcfadden ran behind felton and carl nicks is pro material.he is a dude with a mean streak.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bitonti - thanks for the info

What are your thoughts on Barry Richardson from Clemson. He's an All America OT but seems to be falling like a stone lately. What's going on with him ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;2333436]Bitonti - thanks for the info

What are your thoughts on Barry Richardson from Clemson. He's an All America OT but seems to be falling like a stone lately. What's going on with him ?[/QUOTE]

hes really inconsistant - i want to like this player but he's slow out of his stance, tentative in run blocking and basically could be 10x better than he is right now but i don't think he has the work ethic to make himself better.