Thread: Remember Eli's rookie year

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember Eli's rookie year

He looked COMPLETELY lost like a deer in headlights. Now he's in the Superbowl! Clemens will be fine. Anyone who thinks that he wont be the opening day starter in 08 is CRAZY.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stop BMAN

You are making too much sense.

In all seriousness you are 100% correct.

Kelllen Clemens has all the tools and was surrounded with a terrble OL in a season where he took over a 1-7 team.

Not exactly the best situation.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    how did we leap from Eli's metamorphosis to predictively bullish on Clemens??

They're different players. Different people for that matter.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    8 games isnt enought time to judge a Qb in the NFL.

I dont care how bad they play.

Hell, Ryan Leaf looked like a stud his first two games.

Is Kellen the answer, who knows, but I would like to find out. Eli is just an example of why you give the kid a shot.

Now the CS just needs to recognize that. Has Eli ever had to worry about looking over his shoulder? Nope! They committed to him full force and thats how you develop a young Qb.

Now, I know that the Giants have a lot invested in Eli, but that is all the more reason to give Kellen a shot...we have nothing invested in him.

And also, for all these guys that want us to draft a QB because they dont believe in Kellen or dont want to wait to see what he truly can bring to the table...get ready to indure another horrible season because there isnt a single Qb in this draft that is going to come out and WOW this league in season 1 or 2 for that matter.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Darth Vader;2332731]how did we leap from Eli's metamorphosis to predictively bullish on Clemens??

They're different players. Different people for that matter.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! Just because they both sucked as first year starters does not translate to anything else. By the way Eli was just a tad higher rated (pedigree/pick) and can see over the line.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whether we like it or not, agree with it or not, nobody will know enough about Clemens until we give him a decent O-line and a full year to prove himself. And 2008 should be that year. Upgrade the O-line and let him show his stuff for 16 games.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remember Rick Mirer's first year?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FoxboroFanatic2;2333044]Remember Rick Mirer's first year?[/QUOTE]

He was voted Rookie of the Year, I believe.

His career took a dump after that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;2333057]He was voted Rookie of the Year, I believe.

His career took a dump after that.[/QUOTE]

exactly.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that Clemens needs more time but this isn't exactly the best comparison.

Eli was an elite QB prospect (and #1 pick) coming out of Ole Miss. Clemens was a 2nd round pick and not nearly as highly regarded.

To be frank, we aren't giving Kellen 4 years like the Giants did Manning.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;2333089]I agree that Clemens needs more time but this isn't exactly the best comparison.

Eli was an elite QB prospect (and #1 pick) coming out of Ole Miss. Clemens was a 2nd round pick and not nearly as highly regarded.

To be frank, we aren't giving Kellen 4 years like the Giants did Manning.[/QUOTE]

a lot of people had clemens as the best QB coming out that year before he hurt his leg. we picked him with the 4th pick in the second round, which is a high pick. manning wouldnot have been considered as "elite" if he had a diff last name. clemens may not get 4 years, but can we give him 2 before we throw him away? this is not a DB who we can plug in as a rookie - it takes a long time for a qb to get good. everyone wants everything now and you are just setting yourself up for more disapointment. start to think 3 years from now and you will have less agita

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was a horrible poster my first year here. Poor grammar, unintelligent arguments, a bad signature and more had me rated in the bottom 20% of posters.

Look at me now baby! :boogie2::boozin:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/348913.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193B3EA2C03450C94862E9ECFFC9EE32294284831B75F48EF45[/IMG]

BOO!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;2333057]He was voted Rookie of the Year, I believe.

His career took a dump after that.[/QUOTE]

In 93 the Rookie of the year was Jerome Bettis..Mirer was 12 TD's and 17 picks in 93 with the Hawks..