Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State of the ACC

State of the ACC

For the record I am a Carolina fan and a huge college b-ball junkie and it seems to say that the ACC is very very weak this year.

I know Maryland went in and beat Carolina but after Carolina and Duke there seems to be quite a drop off. is it just me or is it a real down year for the ACC?

Oh and what do people think about Memphis' chances of finishing undefeated? Seems the only real challenge left is a game with Tenn.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Heels fan also. Looks like we're a bit short this year but anything can happen. I think Memphis will be exposed in March. I'm real impressed w/ Indy. Tomorrow's game will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Heels fan also. Looks like we're a bit short this year but anything can happen. I think Memphis will be exposed in March. I'm real impressed w/ Indy. Tomorrow's game will be interesting.
    UConn is still pretty young and Indiana should be ok at home but that may be the best game tomorrow. i hope the Zags can play with Memphis a little tomorrow at least to make it interesting.

I think the Memphis soft schedule may be their undoing come tourney time. You gain somethign when you grind out competitive conference games on the road that you cannot get in practice.

I also noticed there was a few teams in the top 25 going on the road against lesser teams. I wonder who will get knocked off?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan_Johnny View Post
    UConn is still pretty young and Indiana should be ok at home but that may be the best game tomorrow. i hope the Zags can play with Memphis a little tomorrow at least to make it interesting.

I think the Memphis soft schedule may be their undoing come tourney time. You gain somethign when you grind out competitive conference games on the road that you cannot get in practice.

I also noticed there was a few teams in the top 25 going on the road against lesser teams. I wonder who will get knocked off?
    Personally I think Memphis and Kansas are both going to run the table. IMO the Big 12 is having a big time down year also. Actually in all reality I think all the major conferences are down with the exception of the Pac-10 and maybe the Big 10. Dunno what it is though. Everyone will say parody and maybe, but I think there are too many Freshman.

Also Memphis' schedule isn't really that soft. I am a Syracuse fan and I can say that their schedule is just as tough as ours just the opposite. We play the weakest out of conference schedule imaginable and they play the weakest conference schedule, but wins vs USC, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Oklahoma, and UCONN (and potentially Tennessee) isn't bad IMO.

As for Carolina I think they will be fine. Can't wait for the clashes vs Duke. I am suprised Duke is as good as they have been. They haven't just been winning they have been crushing teams.

Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan View Post
    Personally I think Memphis and Kansas are both going to run the table. IMO the Big 12 is having a big time down year also. Actually in all reality I think all the major conferences are down with the exception of the Pac-10 and maybe the Big 10. Dunno what it is though. Everyone will say parody and maybe, but I think there are too many Freshman.

Also Memphis' schedule isn't really that soft. I am a Syracuse fan and I can say that their schedule is just as tough as ours just the opposite. We play the weakest out of conference schedule imaginable and they play the weakest conference schedule, but wins vs USC, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Oklahoma, and UCONN (and potentially Tennessee) isn't bad IMO.

As for Carolina I think they will be fine. Can't wait for the clashes vs Duke. I am suprised Duke is as good as they have been. They haven't just been winning they have been crushing teams.

I was referring to the rest of Memphis' schedule with only the Tenn. game remaining. They have no real test within their conference. The Big 12 is having a down year but some places are tough to win on the road. I think Kansas will hiccup once before March. i think the parity is mainly because with thhe kids leaving the big schools early they lose that continuity the smaller lesser programs have by retaining players for 3 to 4 years.

The Carolina/Duke games are huge this year because the NCAA #1 seed in the east plays its first two games in Raleigh and the regionals in Charlotte. So assuming both of them remain near the top five in the rankings a sweep or possibly winning 2 of the 3 ( ACC tourney potentially) they could basically secure 4 "home" games to get to the final four.

Shows what I know. Thanks Kansas.

It is hard for the top team to get up for every single conf game , especially on the road. The other team is always going to bring their absolute A game to knock you off. Veyr very tough to go unbeaten through a big conference schedule. Some of those arenas are just tough to play in.

Did you watch the Duke game last night? NC State had a nine point lead at the half and decided not to play any defense in the second half.

Duke will NOT lose another game this season. They will sweep NC. They will go to the NCAA championship, and WIN it all. I can hear it now the 2008 NATIONAL CHAMPION DUKE BLUE DEVILS!!!!!!

GO DUKE!!!!!

NC is a JOKE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JetFan54 View Post
    Duke will NOT lose another game this season. They will sweep NC. They will go to the NCAA championship, and WIN it all. I can hear it now the 2008 NATIONAL CHAMPION DUKE BLUE DEVILS!!!!!!

GO DUKE!!!!!

NC is a JOKE!!!!
    Are you kidding me? They lose at least 1 to UNC and I hope they dont play a powerhouse like VCU in the tourney

GO DUKE!!!!!

NC is a JOKE!!!!

[/B]

Did you watch the Duke game last night? NC State had a nine point lead at the half and decided not to play any defense in the second half.[/QUOTE]

Didn't see it, but it sounds a lot like the Duke/Maryland game last Sunday.

Are you kidding me? They lose at least 1 to UNC and I hope they dont play a powerhouse like VCU in the tourney
    There better than last year we aint gonna lose to a cinderella team like vcu were gonna go allllllllll the wayyyyyyyyy.

The Carolina /Duke games are going to be wars this year since both teams are incredibly talented.

All I know is if they put up a first half like they did against NC State they will never recover. The team that plays a full 40 minutes wins these games.

Dates to look forward to:

2/6 Duke / UNC
    2/11 Kansas / Texas
    2/16 Indiana / Michigan St.
    2/23 Tenn. / Memphis
    3/8 UNC / Duke

Dates to look forward to:

2/6 Duke / UNC
    2/11 Kansas / Texas
    2/16 Indiana / Michigan St.
    2/23 Tenn. / Memphis
    3/8 UNC / Duke
    What do you think of Indiana? I am not impressed at all.

What do you think of Indiana? I am not impressed at all.
    Me either. I watched the uconn game expecting to see a team that was a legit contendor but they are clearlyt a step or maybe two below that upper tier.

I put Carolina / duke /memphis /gtown/kanses in their own class.

The game i am really looking forward to is the tenn/memphis game. Tenn may be considered top tier if they pull that one out.

Veteran
    In response to the state of the ACC...to put things in perspective a little bit, Virginia is probably the best team in the country that is in last place in their conference. Take that for what you will, they could be a tourney team if the played anywhere else.

I can't wait for Wednesday. We present match up nightmares all across the board for Duke. It all depends of if Tywon plays. If he doesn't we're screwed. If he does, it'll be a battle, be we should pull away for an 8-12 point win.

Quote Originally Posted by JetHeel23 View Post
    In response to the state of the ACC...to put things in perspective a little bit, Virginia is probably the best team in the country that is in last place in their conference. Take that for what you will, they could be a tourney team if the played anywhere else.

I can't wait for Wednesday. We present match up nightmares all across the board for Duke. It all depends of if Tywon plays. If he doesn't we're screwed. If he does, it'll be a battle, be we should pull away for an 8-12 point win.
    be realistic. Virginia has out of conference losses to both Seton Hall and Syracuse. Don't forget a 38 point loss to xavier.

GO DUKE!!!!!

NC is a JOKE!!!!
    So much for that

So much for that
    I'm starting to agree.

WTF HAPPENED DUKE????????