Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serie A Fans? I will be in Rome April 8 - 15

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Question Serie A Fans? I will be in Rome April 8 - 15

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to see a Serie A game the weekend of April 12th in or around Rome.

I'm not familiar with the teams. I'm looking for atmosphere. I've never seen a European soccer match and I'd very much like to on this trip.

I'd like to stick close to Rome, but can travel some. I'm more interested in historic teams and venues if possible.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

There are two home teams in Rome, Lazio and Roma. They share the same stadium, Stadio Olimpico.

The week you'll be there, matches are played on the 13th. Roma is away but Lazio is playing at home against Siena. As far as tickets, I have no idea. PM Licurgo, he's a soccer forum regular on here who lives in Italy.

I'm jealous man, that trip should be a lot of fun. I hope I get to see a Serie A match one day.

Also, you might check out the Italy forums on bigsoccer.com. That's a great community with really friendly people.

Veteran
    Lazio is a very important team: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.S._Lazio

For the tickets I can help you to buy them on Internet.
    Here there is the official website of S.S.Lazio: http://www.sslazio.it/cms/view (it is all in Italian, I can help you). The game could be played on April 12( at 6 pm or 8:30 pm) or 13( at 15:00 or 20:30).
    I think that they will sell your tickets on the finish of March

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Thank you for the info.

It says the Stadio Olimpico seats 82,000. Are all the games sold out like in the NFL? Or is it more like baseball where you can purchase tickets the day of the game?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    There are two home teams in Rome, Lazio and Roma. They share the same stadium, Stadio Olimpico.
    Seems I can't escape this dynamic no matter where I go...

Which team is more popular? Is their a distinction between the fan bases?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post

Roma is a much better side and Lazio if Im not mistaken is the side who had problems with the holligan fans for a while.

Too bad you cant head to the San Siro in Milan and check out Italy's best team Inter Milan or AC Milan.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Roma is a much better side and Lazio if Im not mistaken is the side who had problems with the holligan fans for a while.
    This is actually appropriate then. Now all we need is Gate D Spiral halftime "show" and the circle will be complete...

LOL

Roma is the better team, but both are very historic and Lazio has a strong fan base. You really can't go wrong going to a Lazio match.

Veteran
    Thank you for the info.

It says the Stadio Olimpico seats 82,000. Are all the games sold out like in the NFL? Or is it more like baseball where you can purchase tickets the day of the game?
    I don't think that will be sold out! However I always prefer to buy the tickets on Internet, it's more simple for a lot of reasons .

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

So I watched the Rome Derby match tonight. I've been following Lazio for the last several weeks getting ready to see them in Rome vs Siena.

Try and TiVo the replay on the Fox Soccer Channel. What an ending! Lazio scored in the extra time. The place went ape****.

Seems Lazio has a shot at making the top 6 now. They are coming on. I just hope they are still playing for something when Siena comes to town.

I'm just back from a weekend in Rome watching the International rugby and a group of us were going to catch the big Roma v Milan game that night but ended up getting p*ssed in the Piazza Navona and watching it on TV instead..That game was a top of the table clash and yet still wasn't a complete sell out so you will get tickets for Lazio/Siena no bother.Keep your wits about you and you'll be fine.

Rome is absolutely one of the most incredible cities on earth...after a while the ancient and historic wonders and masterpieces are so routine on every corner that you start to think 'oh yeah there's another 3,000 year old Fresco by Michelangelo,very nice'

Take in the Basilica of St Peters(it's worth climbing the 300 odd steps for the view both inside the dome and out over what is a beautiful cityscape).And the Sistine Chapel of course.

It's all easily walkable so Trevi Fountain,Spanish Steps,Pantheon,Forum,Colosseum and The Vatican are all doable on foot

Enjoy

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Off to Rome.... will post photos in this thread when I return.

Thanks for all the advice.

Forza Lazio!

Jets Insider VIP
    Off to Rome.... will post photos in this thread when I return.

Thanks for all the advice.

Forza Lazio!
    Have an awesome time. I went to Rome with my GF 2 years ago and loved it. You'll find every cathedral lame afterwards.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

So, I returned from Rome late last week. An amazing place everyone should see if they ever have the opportunity.

I did end up attending the Lazio-Siena game. It was a great experience and a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, Lazio really is very much like the Jets. Tell me if this sounds familiar:

A home game. A game they very much should win vs an inferior opponent. They find a way to blow it all in the very last moments.

LAzio was up 1-0 and completely dominated. They just couldn't score that second goal. In the 90th minute, they give up a very soft goal and end up in a tie.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice in this thread. As promised, here are some photos.

Last edited by Traitor Jay & the Woodies; 04-22-2008 at 09:28 AM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Last edited by Traitor Jay & the Woodies; 04-22-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Awesome pics, Traitor. That looks like so much fun, I would love to go to a Serie A match one day.

Do you speak any Italian? If not, were you able ot get along alright?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The super zoom on my digital camera is not so great - the images are grainy unfortunately.

For the 2nd half, we sat ourselves down on the 50 yard line, down low. Nobody seems to care what you do in Italy...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Awesome pics, Traitor. That looks like so much fun, I would love to go to a Serie A match one day.

Do you speak any Italian? If not, were you able ot get along alright?
    Very little Italian. But in Rome, almost everyone speaks english to some degree.

I had one cab ride adventure where the driver did not speak a word, but that was really the only time.

You should get yourself over there. It's rough with the weak dollar, but it really is just an amazing place. Go before you have kids... I really can kick myself for not going sooner.
    Last edited by Traitor Jay & the Woodies; 04-21-2008 at 10:46 PM.