Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lasik

Hall Of Fame
    I was really conisdering this too but got a little worried about the side affects and that kind of turned me off. Buzz, if you get it done or have any updates let us know.

Also can insurance cover any of the cost? I seriously doubt it but you never know.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sec318;2369826]before the surgery is done you go through 5 tests to see if you are able to have the surgery but I dont know if age has anything to do with it[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you need to go for a consult first. My wife is not a candidate because they said 'her eyeballs are a weird shape' :confused: WTF? I'll never understand medical jargon.... :D

[QUOTE=Fishooked;2370496]Yeah, you need to go for a consult first. My wife is not a candidate because they said 'her eyeballs are a weird shape'[/QUOTE]

Did you know this before you got married?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FoxboroFanatic2;2370501]Did you know this before you got married?[/QUOTE]

Im not into skull f-ing, so it wasn't a concern of mine... :D

[QUOTE=Fishooked;2370504]Im not into skull f-ing, so it wasn't a concern of mine... :D[/QUOTE]

My wife has one really weird toe. For some reason I swear I never saw it before we were married.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FoxboroFanatic2;2370506]My wife has one really weird toe. For some reason I swear I never saw it before we were married.[/QUOTE]

Its not a cadaver thumb, is it? :eek:

[QUOTE=Fishooked;2370510]Its not a cadaver thumb, is it? :eek:[/QUOTE]

No, no, its def. a toe. A weird toe. I better not say anymore.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=AG;2370411]I was really conisdering this too but got a little worried about the side affects and that kind of turned me off. Buzz, if you get it done or have any updates let us know.

Also can insurance cover any of the cost? I seriously doubt it but you never know.[/QUOTE]

My insurance did not cover anything, we tried, but nothing. I actually paid for some of mine up front with cash and financed the rest over a 12 month period with no interest (care credit).

What side affects? I have honestly had none. You get some halo's around street lights in the beginning but they go away. Being able to wake up in the morning and seeing the alarm clock or television without glasses or contacts was just great.

All League
    did it in 1998...best money i ever spent, without a doubt. not 1 problem. eyes are still great 20/20 in 1 eye slightly better in the other......DO IT!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FoxboroFanatic2;2370543] I better not say anymore.[/QUOTE]

Promise? :P:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=FoxboroFanatic2;2370543]No, no, its def. a toe. A weird toe. I better not say anymore.[/QUOTE]

A camel toe perhaps? Better than a moose knuckle I guess.

[QUOTE=FoxboroFanatic2;2370543]No, no, its def. a toe. A weird toe. I better not say anymore.[/QUOTE]

SAR wants you to post pics, please. Thanks.

It's a breeze

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;2370186]Thanks a bunch guys, going to start looking for a surgeon Monday :)[/QUOTE]

I had it two years ago, and my wife just about a month ago. I am 20/15 and see better that I can ever remember.

As for the reading glasses thing, my doctor offers a service where he perfects your dominant eye, and make the other eye not quite perfect vision. He says this will give you about another 10 years before you need reading glasses. It's called Mono-Vision. I didn't do this because I wanted both eye perfect. But my wife elected to have it. So far so good for her.

Not sure where you are located, but my doctor is in NYC. His name is Dr. Chynn and here is his website:

[url]http://www.parkavenuelaser.com/[/url]

Got for it, it is absolutely worthwhile.

Undrafted Free Agent
    In addition to LASIK (where they cut the cornea and make a flap), you also have the option of AST (advanced surface treatment) where a flap is not made. In my group of docs (I am an ophthalmologist, although I specialize in Retina), AST is the preferred procedure because you avoid the risk of making the corneal flap, and you actually get better visual results. The new lasers use wavefront technology which reads the imperfections in the cornea and can correct for them. This new technology works better without the corneal flap where new, unpredicatable changes are created. The downside of AST is that visual recovery takes somewhat longer, about a week for pretty good vision, and there can be some discomfort for a few days. As far as age, if over 40 and nearsighted, you will lose your ability to read without glasses, and this would be somewhat of a trade-off. If over 50, I would consider cataract surgery instead.

Fantastic to have had it done (back in '99). Weird thing (as an earlier poster noted) is to smell something burning, then realize it's your eyeball. The valium helped. Would recommend going to where they do this every day. Would also recommend staying up late the night before. You have to concentrate when they're doing the procedure (obviously), so you want to watch the laser. Afterwards it feels like you have tiny hairs in your eyes. I slept once I got home, and it really helped clear the junk out of my eyes. You're supposed to keep your eyes closed anyways.

Hall Of Fame
    My wife was an eye doctor before she gabe it up and one of her best friends works for Dr. Joseph Dello Russo. Let me know if you want me to give her a call for you.

When I eventually have it done I am coming back to NY to let him do it himself.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Almost forgot to bump this thread - Buzzsaw now has 20/20 vision :yes::yes::yes:

I had the consultation on Wednesday and had the procedure on Friday morning. Less than one minute for each eye. I did have some pain and discomfort but it's all cleared up now.

I hit Hustler's strip club last night and I could see nipple and meat curtains all the way across the club :D

Honestly, without everyone's recommendations from here I wouldn't have had it done, so I owe all of you that posted a huge THANK YOU! It's a life changing experience so it means a lot.
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 02-24-2008 at 09:26 PM.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;2386055]
    I hit Hustler's strip club last and I could see nipple and meat curtains all the way across the club :D

[QUOTE]

Be carefull, if you spank it to much, it can cause your visions to go :)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;2370186]Thanks a bunch guys, going to start looking for a surgeon Monday :)[/QUOTE]

Hey! I totally am going to do this too. I have worn contacts since 9th grade and I can't wait to do this too. If you have an FSA you might be able to use that to pay for it (save some $$). I hate working out with glasses on but some days those contacts just won't go in. Now that I'm doing triathlons, the idea of losing on in the lake and then riding the bike half blind does not sound good. But the worst for me is allergies. I get them so bad in May and again in Sept that I can't wear my contacts for weeks. Eye surgery will be great. We can be Lasik buddies!

Later,

Kate

Holy crap you work fast. Just figured out you already did it. What the hell am I waiting for? I've been talking about it for two years. Well, because talk is cheap!
    Last edited by Kate; 02-24-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Because Buzz is a speed demon when it comes to life altering eye surgeries.

I got it 8 years ago. It's been great. I used to be almost blind and wore coke-bottle-thick super-thin lenses.