Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ***Are the Jets a Cheap Franchise??***

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

***Are the Jets a Cheap Franchise??***

This is a question that has been nagging me for about five years now. Are the Jets smart with their money or are they being cheap? There seems to be evidence to support both sides. On one hand some critics have said that the Jets play free agency like they are going garage sale shopping. But you can argue that the jets were looking to build up their talent base and could not afford to spend as if they were title contenders. Another issue is whether the Jets were being cheap with Pete Kendall, Lavernius Coles (now) and the head coaches' contracts (Herm and mangini). The flip side to that is that the Jets are following the Patriots' plan with veteran contracts and it has been a successful blue print. There are many ways to look at this but I am worried going into a crucial off season.

I do not know the answer to this and am curious as to what other respected jets fans feel.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 02-18-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    *************************no!********************************

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer to think that they are biding their time. Why blow the wad on a mediocre team when you can save it for the coming years when we plan on being contenders?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    cheap, sh!tty and stupid!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Illinois Jets Fan;2373773]I prefer to think that they are biding their time. Why blow the wad on a mediocre team when you can save it for the coming years when we plan on being contenders?[/QUOTE]

Since when are salary cap dollars carried over to the next year?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    c'mon folks, the new collective bargaining agreement established a [B]minimum[/B] you can spend on player salaries(85%), and the JETS have been spending to the cap for years

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I swear I don't think some of you will ever be able to handle winning a superbowl....What will be left to cry about.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    they might be trying to get the most for less but signing career backups is not the answear in anyway shape or form. If we got the money spend on some top talent spend it. and they need to stop handling our stars contracts in such F'ed up ways.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe we are a hesitant, scared and pennypinching franchise, yes. The Jets, in a nutshell, are terrified to make the "big move".

They are the Anti-Dan Snyder. Which would be fine....to a point. But we go beyond that point, and try to "be the Patriots" far too much for my tastes. We're not them, and Mangini is no Bellichek.

I hope to be proven wrong. But I expect an amazingly hum-drum offseason for a 4 win team described by our most knowledgeable posters as "talentless".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2373785]I believe we are a hesitant, scared and pennypinching franchise, yes. The Jets, in a nutshell, are terrified to make the "big move".

They are the Anti-Dan Snyder. Which would be fine....to a point. But we go beyond that point, and try to "be the Patriots" far too much for my tastes. We're not them, and Mangini is no Bellichek.

I hope to be proven wrong. But I expect an amazingly hum-drum offseason for a 4 win team described by our most knowledgeable posters as "talentless".[/QUOTE]

warfish,[B] if [/B]you are correct then we have an enormous problem. There is nothing more damaging to a professional football team then having an owner who is not willing to spend. The matt chathams are okay to a point and that point has come. The Jets need to spend to improve their talent base. But will there be enough quality talent to be had in free agency this season?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can expect one thing won't be cheap...when the new building opens up and the PSL invoice shows up with the increased ticket prices.

As far as the management being cheap with players, I think incredibly and consistantly wrong, is a better description than cheap.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the Jets are cheap last year they were 16 million under the cap and were nonexistant in FA. They were crying over a million dollars raise for Kendell. The Coles deal years back was the same result of the franchise being cheap. I rememer and have posted several articles that showed Woody Johnson talking about Coles not being worth 33 million and he doesnt believe in Mortgaging the future. I said this before since Woody has bought the team they have been nonexistant in FA. Also look at the hirings of coaches and GMs while I like the Mangini and Tanabaum hire lets look at the facts the Jets have hired unproven Coaches and GMs with little experience. Another fact is you notice how fast Parcells and BB bolted right when Woody bought the team. How about Herm as soon as he got a few years under his belt he bolted too. Will this happen with Mangini too if he becomes successful?
    Im looking at the facts Woody is cheap and has more power and input into this team then most people believe he is hiring people that will share his philosphy of pinching pennies. This year will prove it all if the Jets are nonactive in FA with 28 million under the cap then that will prove once and for all that Woody is cheap. I give everybody a challenge type Woody Johnson is cheap in google and see what you will find that will tell you the whole story.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2373763]This is a question that has been nagging me for about five years now. Are the Jets smart with their money or are they being cheap? There seems to be evidence to support both sides. On one hand some critics have said that the Jets play free agency like they are going garage sale shopping. But you can argue that the jets were looking to build up their talent base and could not afford to spend as if they were title contenders. Another issue is whether the Jets were being cheap with Pete Kendall, Lavernius Coles (now) and the head coaches' contracts (Herm and mangini). The flip side to that is that the Jets are following the Patriots' plan with veteran contracts and it has been a successful blue print. There are many ways to look at this but I am worried going into a crucial off season.

I do not know the answer to this and am curious as to what other respected jets fans feel.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. I look at how much they spent on Coleman last year. Whether it was a good signing or not is irrelevant to this conversation, but they saw a guy they liked and they spent some serious dough.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=samwise;2373779]c'mon folks, the new collective bargaining agreement established a [B]minimum[/B] you can spend on player salaries(85%), and the JETS have been spending to the cap for years[/QUOTE]

agreed...it's a ridiculous assertion to claim the Jets are cheap when one can look at the money they spend versus the cap over the course of time....

making stupid moves with your salary cap allotment does not mean a team is cheap....ask the Redskins....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    In order to improve Woody's financial standing Jets fans should buy more of this
    [IMG]http://www.obtampons.com/en/images/OB_Pink.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2373763]This is a question that has been nagging me for about five years now. Are the Jets smart with their money or are they being cheap? There seems to be evidence to support both sides. On one hand some critics have said that the Jets play free agency like they are going garage sale shopping. But you can argue that the jets were looking to build up their talent base and could not afford to spend as if they were title contenders. Another issue is whether the Jets were being cheap with Pete Kendall, Lavernius Coles (now) and the head coaches' contracts (Herm and mangini). The flip side to that is that the Jets are following the Patriots' plan with veteran contracts and it has been a successful blue print. There are many ways to look at this but I am worried going into a crucial off season.

I do not know the answer to this and am curious as to what other respected jets fans feel.[/QUOTE]

In the last year or two I would have to say they are being CHEAP.

Although in there history they have ALWAYS spent relatively close to the cap limit without mortgaging the future. They've always done a good job of managing the cap.

But like last year and refusing to give Kendall his million dollars, it just seems like such chump change. The whole ordeal just seems to be colossal stupidity on the part of Tangini.

Even if they are not cheap, it certainly makes them appear that way.......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nyjets1969;2373814]Yes the Jets are cheap last year they were 16 million under the cap and were nonexistant in FA. They were crying over a million dollars raise for Kendell. The Coles deal years back was the same result of the franchise being cheap. I rememer and have posted several articles that showed Woody Johnson talking about Coles not being worth 33 million and he doesnt believe in Mortgaging the future. I said this before since Woody has bought the team they have been nonexistant in FA. Also look at the hirings of coaches and GMs while I like the Mangini and Tanabaum hire lets look at the facts the Jets have hired unproven Coaches and GMs with little experience. Another fact is you notice how fast Parcells and BB bolted right when Woody bought the team. How about Herm as soon as he got a few years under his belt he bolted too. Will this happen with Mangini too if he becomes successful?
    Im looking at the facts Woody is cheap and has more power and input into this team then most people believe he is hiring people that will share his philosphy of pinching pennies. This year will prove it all if the Jets are nonactive in FA with 28 million under the cap then that will prove once and for all that Woody is cheap. I give everybody a challenge type Woody Johnson is cheap in google and see what you will find that will tell you the whole story.[/QUOTE]

Where did you read that the Jets were 16 million under the cap in 2007? I never heard any number close to that before.

I do expect the Jets to make a lot of moves in FA this year, though. I mean, if the whole point was to get Pete Kendall's million for the future (after all a trade would actually negatively affect the Jets Cap # in 2007 - depending on the signing bonus) . The idea has to be to make some moves in FA or spend a lot resigning their own (Which I expect to be done at some point with Rhodes).

The Jets did have a good draft, in my opinion, last yr, even with only 4 players since they got two players who are already respected within the league as solid starters. The decision to drop Kendall seemed short sighted. However, this will be a telling year for both of them. However, I think they did do a pretty good job 1 season and a pretty bad job the 2nd season. So, if they end up 8-8 or something, they deserve a 4th season. If they are 4-12, the plan clearly isn't working.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets aren't cheap.

They're just stupid with their money.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;2373871]Where did you read that the Jets were 16 million under the cap in 2007? I never heard any number close to that before.

I do expect the Jets to make a lot of moves in FA this year, though. I mean, if the whole point was to get Pete Kendall's million for the future (after all a trade would actually negatively affect the Jets Cap # in 2007 - depending on the signing bonus) . The idea has to be to make some moves in FA or spend a lot resigning their own (Which I expect to be done at some point with Rhodes).

The Jets did have a good draft, in my opinion, last yr, even with only 4 players since they got two players who are already respected within the league as solid starters. The decision to drop Kendall seemed short sighted. However, this will be a telling year for both of them. However, I think they did do a pretty good job 1 season and a pretty bad job the 2nd season. So, if they end up 8-8 or something, they deserve a 4th season. If they are 4-12, the plan clearly isn't working.[/QUOTE]

Actually 21.1 milion before the cotchery signing according to this site

[url]http://nfldraftexpert.blogspot.com/2007/02/salary-cap-numbers-for-nfl-teams.html[/url]

Facts are facts Woody is a cheap bastard that is holding this franchise back and sucking the life out of it. we will know in 2 weeks if Woody is going to allow Tanni to spend the money needed to fix this problem. I am willing to bet no. I was a big Johnson fan when he bought this team for the last 8 years Ive seen enough this guy needs to go back to J and J and stop handcuffing Tanni from doing his job. I actually believe now the worse thing that ever happen to this franchise was Hess dieing.
    While Hess didnt have a clue on how to run this franchise he was willing to spend his butt off to try to turn it around. both BB and Parcells had great respect for Hess. If the guy lived a stinkin 5 years longer this franchise would have finally won a lombardi. We all know that BB and Parcells would have stayed but for reasons we know about both BB and Parcells bolted as fast as they could once Woody bought the team.
    Last edited by nyjets1969; 02-18-2008 at 08:55 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;2373880]The Jets aren't cheap.

They're just stupid with their money.[/QUOTE]

+1