Thread: What about Lito Sheppard?

What about Lito Sheppard?

Rotowrld and Espnnews are reporting that the Eagles have given him permission to seek a trade. He has not played a complete season since 03 but if I could get him for a 3rd I would do it. He's young and a great cover corner
    Last edited by Revis; 02-18-2008 at 06:29 PM.

I think a 3rd is too high but I'd look into it.

Sheppard may be too close to what Dyson was coming in his first year with the Jets though

[QUOTE=HessStation;2373991]I think a 3rd is too high but I'd look into it.

Sheppard may be too close to what Dyson was coming in his first year with the Jets though[/QUOTE]

since when was dyson a 2 time pro bowler?

Veteran
    I'm clearly biased here (I graduated from UF and he lived in my dorm my freshman year), but if we can get an all-pro CB across from Revis, I'm all for it if all we have to give up is a 3rd round pick.

To me the 3rd rounder is the key ingridient here but for a 3rd how can you posible hate that trade. Two good young corners and he probably would not want Samule/Clement money. I understand we have bigger holes at DL-OL and LB, but you can't pass on Pro Bowl caliber young players. We should have fricken taken him back in 02 anyway

Jets Insider VIP
    Sheppard signed an 8 year $26M contract in 2004 with a signing bonus and now he wants to negotiate a new deal. I always have a problem with guys who want their team to show a long-term committment to them but when they feel they exceed their expectations, they want to renogotiate. What happens when they fail to meet thier expectations? Do they offer to give some money back?

[QUOTE=jetsfan110;2373998]since when was dyson a 2 time pro bowler?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, what I was getting at was age and always being injured. But I thought Sheppard was a little older. He's only 26 so I'm wrong on that front.

Mind you though that Dyson was considered one of the better corner's available at that time. But no doubt on a lower level than Sheppard.

[QUOTE=Gainesville Jet;2374002]I'm clearly biased here (I graduated from UF and he lived in my dorm my freshman year), but if we can get an all-pro CB across from Revis, I'm all for it if all we have to give up is a 3rd round pick.[/QUOTE]

A lot of long term money would be needed and a nice pick to give up for a player who is only on the field half the season.

He's a solid CB and well worth a 3rd rounder. You won't find a CB of his caliber in the 3rd round ever. For us to really be a solid team in 2009 we will need a mammoth defense. Having Shepperd and Revis along with a couple new stud LB's is a very good start.

[QUOTE=Gainesville Jet;2374002]I'm clearly biased here (I graduated from UF and he lived in my dorm my freshman year), but if we can get an all-pro CB across from Revis, I'm all for it if all we have to give up is a 3rd round pick.[/QUOTE]

LITO!!! God he was awesome to watch. The crowd used to go nuts when he would get back there for punts.

I wouldn do it for a 3rd. He is a great CB. Personally, I think he is more valuable then a 3rd round pick and this is coming from a guy who LOVES draft picks.

For a 3rd rounder, I would do it in a heartbeat. That's definitely not our biggest need, but you can't pass up a deal like that.

All Pro
    I like Sheppard as a player but I'm not that high on investing in a player who has missed 14 games in the last 3 years combined...

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=DevsJetsYanks88;2374040]For a 3rd rounder, I would do it in a heartbeat. That's definitely not our biggest need, but you can't pass up a deal like that.[/QUOTE]

+1

Dyson's last 5 seasons leading up to the Jets: 17 int's......5'10 185......28
    Sheppard's last 5 seasons: 17 int's.......5'10 190.......26

Not trying to kill the horse but just saying...
    Last edited by HessStation; 02-18-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Flaming Mo;2374050]I like Sheppard as a player but I'm not that high on investing in a player who has missed 14 games in the last 3 years combined...[/QUOTE]

Abe missed 13 games in his last 3 years as a Jet and Fans were crying..Yet Lito missed 14 and it's not a problem..Simply Amazing..:rolleyes:

what about Vilma for Lito?

[QUOTE=Jordy;2374025]Sheppard signed an 8 year $26M contract in 2004 with a signing bonus and now he wants to negotiate a new deal. I always have a problem with guys who want their team to show a long-term committment to them but when they feel they exceed their expectations, they want to renogotiate. What happens when they fail to meet thier expectations? Do they offer to give some money back?[/QUOTE]

If they fail to meet expectations they get cut...

[QUOTE=Jordy;2374025]Sheppard signed an 8 year $26M contract in 2004 with a signing bonus and now he wants to negotiate a new deal. I always have a problem with guys who want their team to show a long-term committment to them but when they feel they exceed their expectations, they want to renogotiate. What happens when they fail to meet thier expectations? Do they offer to give some money back?[/QUOTE]

So he now wants to go from $3 million per year to $6 million per year.
    Give them a 3rd PLUS Barrett & McCareins!!!:D