Thread: Football related- ''Baseball unfairly singled out for steroids''

Football related- ''Baseball unfairly singled out for steroids''

[url]http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23227642/[/url]

New York Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner:

[QUOTE]“I don’t like baseball being singled out,” the New York Yankees senior vice president said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Monday night.

“Everybody that knows sports knows football is tailor-made for performance-enhancing drugs. I don’t know how they managed to skate by. It irritates me. Don’t tell me it’s not more prevalent. The number in football is at least twice as many. Look at the speed and size of those players.”

“A lot of baseball people thought that baseball would be the last sport that it would be a problem in and probably just ignored it too long,” Steinbrenner said. “But the fact is it’s been in football a long time and it’s been in basketball, I’m sure. Why baseball is being singled out, I don’t know. I don’t know. I know all the excuses — ‘Well, it’s America’s game and it’s the statistics.’

“That’s not an excuse. If a sport is riddled with it, it’s riddled with it. Why aren’t they looking at the NFL?” he said.

Steinbrenner said baseball will “clean up the game.”

“We’re going to do it,” he said.
    [/QUOTE]

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello:

[QUOTE]
    “We’ve had year-round random testing with immediate suspensions since 1990 and we conduct approximately 12,000 steroids tests a year.”[/QUOTE]

this should go in the cry-baby thread

[QUOTE=lageman4ever;2374414]this should go in the cry-baby thread[/QUOTE]
    Popeye is defiently on the juice... :P

Jets Insider VIP
    Amazing how much grip George lost.. almost sad kind of.

[QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2374418]Popeye is defiently on the juice... :P[/QUOTE]

but he's an entertainer not a sportsman - so it's OK

[QUOTE=SBIII;2374419]Amazing how much grip George lost.. almost sad kind of.[/QUOTE]

He was riding around the the complex in a golf cart today.

[IMG]http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080218/capt.a0d134ded30442ac9fe7e9141cc96a05.yankees_pettitte_spring_baseball_fljj114.jpg[/IMG]

Steinbrenner Jr. is just upset his teams Championships from 96-2000 are tainted

Sorry Steinny

[QUOTE=JetsWI;2374430]Steinbrenner Jr. is just upset his teams Championships from 96-2000 are tainted

Sorry Steinny[/QUOTE]
    Well I'm not going to get into that argument here, if you wanna discuss that, even though it is unbelievably stupid, than bring it to the baseball forum.

I posted this article to talk about the NFL and steroids.

This is the problem. People ignore the PED problem in the NFL, they for some reason have a shield to all of it.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 02-18-2008 at 10:44 PM.

Baseball is singled out for a few reasons. The most obvious is that they are the only major sports organization to completely thumb their nose at the congress while all the others were quick to respond to the congress. Secondly their attempt at instituting a testing policy was an absolute joke which completely destroyed their credibility on the subject. When Chris Benoit went insane and murdered his family wrestling immediately implemented a new drug policy that saw tons of their stars suspended just to avoid the potential of more congressional activity against the McMahon family and their company. Baseball came up with something where youd have to be caught something like 5 times before you even got suspended or your name released.

And the other obvious reason is the fact that the transformation we are seeing overnight in baseball players is more obvious than any other sport. You arent hidden by shoulder pads and things like that so physically its way more evident than in the other pro sports. And you are seeing players do things that they or no other players did in the past. Rodney Harrison used steroids. Did anyone notice any difference in his play before and after? Are football players today doing things no other players have ever done before? No. Are NBA players superior players to the players in the 80s and 70s? No. But its unquestioned that todays baseball player is far superior as hitters to the stars of the past. And you look at players like Bonds who are far superior as a player to how they were when they were believed to not be taking PEDs.

[QUOTE=Jason423;2374457]Baseball is singled out for a few reasons. The most obvious is that they are the only major sports organization to completely thumb their nose at the congress while all the others were quick to respond to the congress. Secondly their attempt at instituting a testing policy was an absolute joke which completely destroyed their credibility on the subject. When Chris Benoit went insane and murdered his family wrestling immediately implemented a new drug policy that saw tons of their stars suspended just to avoid the potential of more congressional activity against the McMahon family and their company. Baseball came up with something where youd have to be caught something like 5 times before you even got suspended or your name released.

And the other obvious reason is the fact that the transformation we are seeing overnight in baseball players is more obvious than any other sport. You arent hidden by shoulder pads and things like that so physically its way more evident than in the other pro sports. And you are seeing players do things that they or no other players did in the past. Rodney Harrison used steroids. Did anyone notice any difference in his play before and after? Are football players today doing things no other players have ever done before? No. Are NBA players superior players to the players in the 80s and 70s? No. But its unquestioned that todays baseball player is far superior as hitters to the stars of the past. And you look at players like Bonds who are far superior as a player to how they were when they were believed to not be taking PEDs.[/QUOTE]

Good post.

MLB really screwed this up, I know that much, but if the NFL is dirty, than it's dirty. Congress shouldn't play favorites. There reasons for doing this has always been to make it a deterrent for the kids. If that is the case..than you must be consistant. There is a hell of alot of kids playing football in this country.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 02-18-2008 at 11:19 PM.