Thread: Ot: Another Classy Coach

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Ot: Another Classy Coach

[B][SIZE="5"]Ore. coach arrested after sixth-grade basketball disturbance
    The Associated Press[/SIZE][/B]

ESTACADA, Ore. Clackamas County sheriff's deputies arrested a sixth-grade girls basketball coach Sunday, accusing him of taunting a high-school-age referee over his officiating and refusing to leave after being ejected, leading to a swarming onto the court floor by angry fans.

Sheriff's department spokesman Jim Strovink said Jeffery Scott Larsen, 34, of Molalla, was charged with misdemeanor criminal trespassing of a sporting event.

Deputies went to the Estacada High School gym Saturday after getting calls about a disturbance over officiating of the game between teams from Estacada and Molalla.

Strovink said Deputy Brian Pearson reported that the disturbance began when Larsen, the Molalla coach, received two technical fouls and was ejected.

Pearson said Larsen remained in the building and verbally harassed the game's 17-year-old referee, an Estacada High School student. The deputy's report said Larsen threatened the referee physically and directed a profane attack at the boy after the game.

Strovink said via e-mail that Larsen got his first technical in the first half when he contested a foul call on one of his players.

[B]The second came in the second half when Larsen slammed his clipboard on the hand of a sixth-grade girl who was the scorekeeper. She suffered a cut but did not require medical attention.[/B]:eek:

Strovink said reports were that Larsen refused to leave the arena when ejected, as required by law, and continued to yell at the officiating, coaching his players from a corner of the gym.

Molalla fans became caught up in the taunting, the e-mail said, fan hostility grew and at the end of the game fans of both teams went onto the floor taunting the referee and insulting each other.

[B]Witnesses said Larsen went onto the floor and grabbed the arm of referee Houston Webb, and cocked his arm back with a clenched fist.[/B]:eek:

Larsen was arrested at his home Sunday, cited and released.

"Many of the girls were frightened, [B]crying and fleeing the building with their parents," [/B]Strovink quoted Estacada Junior High School Principal Kevis Olds, who was coaching the Estacada team, as saying.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It aint just the coaches...last year a well regarded Little league coach in the town next to mine was attacked on the field by the father and uncle of a player who was benched for disrespecting his teamates...

The brat called daddy from the field and the father and his chooch brother sped over, stormed the field, and began pummeling the coach in front of horrified parents and players. Thankfully they were arrested.

I also recall one of my son's baseball practices being cancelled at the last minute by the coach....a half hour later, I spot the coach at a different field, holding a one on one practice with his own son who was on the team!

Its a strange business, kids sports....I stomach it because my son enjoys it, but alot of the coaches and parents (not all, of course) have agendas that sicken me....its not pretty.

This is sad, combined with the school shootings I am not looking forward to my kids starting school!!

This has been going on forever.

I watched a kid's father beat another man with a baseball bat like 3 times before someone grew the ball's to tackle the guy with the bat.

It was freaky. His kid was the pitcher and his father totally had his son beam the oppossing son's kid when he was at the plate. The 2 coaches had been going at it. My coach was the one beaten. He was complaining because his son was throwing at players, and when we would get on base they were throwing dirt at us when we would take our leads.

After my coaches son got beamed. He yelled at the other coach and called him out for telling his son to do it. The guy then grabbed a bat and ran across the field. The guy with the bat was in shape (a younger father). My coach was a fat old man. He tried to run and the guy slugged him the back, then 2 more times. Before an older brother of a player on our team tackled him and held the guy down long enough for the police to get there.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=JiF;2375319]This has been going on forever.

I watched a kid's father beat another man with a baseball bat like 3 times before someone grew the ball's to tackle the guy with the bat.

It was freaky. His kid was the pitcher and his father totally had his son beam the oppossing son's kid when he was at the plate. The 2 coaches had been going at it. My coach was the one beaten. He was complaining because his son was throwing at players, and when we would get on base they were throwing dirt at us when we would take our leads.

After my coaches son got beamed. He yelled at the other coach and called him out for telling his son to do it. The guy then grabbed a bat and ran across the field. The guy with the bat was in shape (a younger father). My coach was a fat old man. He tried to run and the guy slugged him the back, then 2 more times. Before an older brother of a player on our team tackled him and held the guy down long enough for the police to get there.[/QUOTE]

Really, thats an absolute abdication of parental responsibility.

Its inconcievable to me, yet there it is.

The field on the corner of my house is used for play-offs and title games.

A few years back, a coach of one of the teams not playing that day, shows up with his kids for a practice on the newly groomed field that was to be used for a game that day by two other playoff teams. The league president, a good guy by all accounts, shows up and asks him to leave the field so they dont ruin it for the later game.

Yep.

He goes after the president in front of the parents and kids, threatens to kill him so vehemently that his screams were heard by a 911 dispatcher through a cell phone. They send about 4 cop cars and this ends with this douche nozlle getting physically hauled off the field by the cops in front of his sobbing team, his own kid and his wife. Not to mention the dozens of other kids and parents.

Im very careful not to be too critical of anyone who volunteers to coach as I've never been able to help out due to child care and work, but there is a certain type of moron that is drawn to coaching, and god forbid if he thinks his own kid is an all-star in the making.....oy vey:eek: