Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Vilma given permission to seek a trade

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;2381259]The 9 games that David Harris played showed how weak a ILB Vilma really was..Even the Apologists had trouble coming up with enough excuses..LB'ers like Mo Lewis,Bryan Cox,Marvin Jones,Chad Cascadden,James Farrior,Dwayne Gordon,Pepper Johnson or Roman Phifer to name a few can play either the 4-3or the 3-4..Vilma was a 1 trick pony that [B]was overrated by most Jet fans[/B].[/QUOTE]

Guilty as charged. Vilma's production has decreased in the last two years and people are quick to blame the system. We don't line up in a 3-4 every down, we do employ some 4-3 and have blitz packages in place but Vima is ineffective in those situations as well. Does any one think Harris would be less of a player if we switched to a 4-3? I still think he would tear it up. If you're good you can play in any system. If you have to have the whole defense tailored around you to cover your weaknesses, you're not an elite player to begin with.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get why anyone is acting surprised by this. Every single person on this website has discussed Vilma getting traded and every single person who did a "mock offseason" included trading Vilma in their forecast. Hell, most of us here were calling for this last year (and correctly proven).

Why the "shock?"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=B-HOW;2381373]Guilty as charged. Vilma's production has decreased in the last two years and people are quick to blame the system. We don't line up in a 3-4 every down, we do employ some 4-3 and have blitz packages in place but Vima is ineffective in those situations as well. Does any one think Harris would be less of a player if we switched to a 4-3? I still think he would tear it up. If you're good you can play in any system. [B]If you have to have the whole defense tailored around you to cover your weaknesses, you're not an elite player to begin with.[/B][/QUOTE]

I disagree with this statement. How can one expect a 6-1, 225, speedy, sideline-to-sideline LB to do well in the 3-4? ILB are 245 or 250 lb thumpers who only play in the box. You're setting up Vilma for failure by putting him there. It's not Vilma's fault that the he's the size that he is. Put him as a WLB in the Tampa 2 and he'd excel.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;2381334]Mangini should be criticized for doing this a year late.

People can complain about the woulda-coulda complaints, but according to multiple reports, the Skins were willing to trade Clinton Portis for Vilma last year, but the Jets passed.

If the Jets had done that deal they would have been in a better position than they are today because they would have kept their 2 second rounds and have Portis instead of Jones. The Jets could have still drafted Harris and also gotten Oline help.

This is not really a would-coulda argument to the extent its premised on Mangini being a day late & a dollar short again. "Again," because they were late with the Kendall situation. They made no effort to sign an upgrade early in free agency, and were left with Adrian Clarke when they got rid of Kendall. They were also late when they knew before the 2006 draft that Curtis was not coming back (he told them than in January).[/QUOTE]
    In general I agree with this except that I wonder if they had knowledge last year that the knee would not pass a physical. In general as I understand it, his condition is degenerative and has presumaby been degenerating since college. Perhaps letting Vilma get the surgury mid-year was their way of getting him ready to be traded now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=lageman4ever;2381367][B]There definitely seems to be a pattern of reactive thinking not forward thinking by this Front Office. [/B]Nobody seems to be using any foresight.

Panic creates the lousy Barlow signing. Kendall situation completely botched. Trade for a 30 year old RB to run behind a **** OL. Vilma traded a season too late. Now Coles likely won't be traded and could go down with another concussion. Will Coles become Wayne Chrebet II ?[/quote]

That is a very good point and I agree.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    My roommate just emailed me, waiting to hear the source, but I saw it on a Rams board as speculation:

Jets get: 2nd Overall

Rams get: 6th Overall & Vilma.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=E.Y.;2381515]My roommate just emailed me, waiting to hear the source, but I saw it on a Rams board as speculation:

Rams get: 6th Overall & Vilma.[/QUOTE]

That would be the value of a mid-first round pick. I find that hard to believe with Vilma's injury status still undetermined.

If so it would be a good trade. We'd be guaranteed in getting either Jake Long or Chris Long.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JMJ;2381382]I don't get why anyone is acting surprised by this. Every single person on this website has discussed Vilma getting traded and every single person who did a "mock offseason" included trading Vilma in their forecast. Hell, most of us here were calling for this last year (and correctly proven).

Why the "shock?"[/QUOTE]

Spot on man.

I don't understand why people on this board are acting like this guy has helped the team in the past two seasons. He's been invisible on the field. Why are we complaining when a rookie draft pick has took Vilma's position in the 3-4 and has played it as good as Vilma did in Herm's 4-3. I believe there is a saying "Its not what you have done, but what can you do for me now". Harris fits that bill.

Please let me now if i was saying that wrong.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=E.Y.;2381515]My roommate just emailed me, waiting to hear the source, but I saw it on a Rams board as speculation:

Note to Jets: Please try to trade down, not up

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;2381567]That would be the value of a mid-first round pick. I find that hard to believe with Vilma's injury status still undetermined.

If so it would be a good trade. We'd be guaranteed in getting either Jake Long or Chris Long.[/QUOTE]

Not hard to believe if most mocks have The Rams taking a player like Dorsey who looks like he is going to fall to #6 anyway

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JMJ;2381382]I don't get why anyone is acting surprised by this. Every single person on this website has discussed Vilma getting traded and every single person who did a "mock offseason" included trading Vilma in their forecast. Hell, most of us here were calling for this last year (and correctly proven).

Why the "shock?"[/QUOTE]

Excellent Post! :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EY;2381515]My roommate just emailed me, waiting to hear the source, but I saw it on a Rams board as speculation:

Here is the thread. One bozo thinks it would be a great deal. The logical folks chime in quickly to burst his bubble.

It only has a handful of posts overall:

[url]http://www.clanram.com/forums/f85/rams-name-used-vilma-rumors-28866/[/url]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is bull****. I cant believe that fat **** of a head coach is so stubbern not to change our system but insted he will trade away 1 if not the best MLB in the 4-3 system. Its clear that we have the tools for the 4-3 not the 3-4. Defense wins rings and we r going to trade away our top player.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Skipped to the end here - don't know if anybody posted this.
    We will get NOTHING for him now that EVERYBODY knows he just
    about HAS to be traded. PLUS he's coming off an knee injury.
    Way to go jets. Why don't you guys frame him for a rape or murder or something...his values just not low enough now.

Morons.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ThePenguin;2381650]This is bull****. I cant believe that fat **** of a head coach is so stubbern not to change our system but insted he will trade away 1 if not the best MLB in the 4-3 system. Its clear that we have the tools for the 4-3 not the 3-4. Defense wins rings and we r going to trade away our top player.[/QUOTE]

The 4-3 needs DEs to rush the QB. What pass rushing DEs do we have? :confused:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Enough of the insults.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;2381160]Another dumb doom and gloom thread started by another ignorant Nancy[/QUOTE]

Want to be my IQ is higher than yours? I'm far from doom and gloom. But with Mangini trying to covert to 3-4, we're losing our quality players and wating valuable time. I'm being realistic.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fuzzyjetsfan;2381663]Want to be my IQ is higher than yours? [/QUOTE]

HAHAHAH. Irony strikes again.
    I love you, irony.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ThePenguin;2381650]This is bull****. I cant believe that fat **** of a head coach is so stubbern not to change our system but insted he will trade away 1 if not the best MLB in the 4-3 system. Its clear that we have the tools for the 4-3 not the 3-4. Defense wins rings and we r going to trade away our top player.[/QUOTE]

Do you really believe the jets D would be better if they switched to a 4-3? I don't think so!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

That's my point.

[QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;2381257]I don't like the fact that they announced this. What litlle value he'd be worth has just diminished.[/QUOTE]

before I was called ignorant.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the problem...

[QUOTE=Bmiggsey;2381670]Do you really believe the jets D would be better if they switched to a 4-3? I don't think so![/QUOTE]

too far to turn back now not close enough to make a difference...yet.