Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should the Jets fix offense or defense this draft?

[QUOTE=lageman4ever;2382322]As we all know the Jets have lots of holes to fill this off-season. We have to rebuild our OL and add some offensive playmakers. But also we need to add a lot of bodies to our defensive front 7. How can we do all of this in one off season?

We can't.

Given the poor free agent class, I doubt the Jets will get more than 1 or 2 players at most. So the Jets have to fill most if not all of their holes with draft choices. And since we have a limited number of picks, we will have to choose to fix either the offense or defense. We can't fix both at the same time. So which do we choose?[/QUOTE]

Great question and I love both of you scenarios. I would take any of those in a heartbeat.

I think a lot has to do with if we sign a Veteran OL out of FA (Faneca please).

If we do, then I would take your defensive draft over the offensive (and probably do with out assuming we sing a OL).

I have some concerns with Gholston. But, I dont think I would horribly upset if we drafted him.

Trade down for picks and get Branden Albert in here. The Pats took an OG (Mankins) in the first round a couple of years ago, and it has paid off very well for them.

Now that we've seen the Combine for the OL, I don't think any of them is worth the #6 pick other than Jake Long.

If Jake fell the Jets should be all over him - the guy is a sure fire stud RT . But no other OL is even remotely close in talent. It would be a huge reach to take a (soft) Clady or Chris Williams with our first pick. Both will go 10 spots behind us.

So defense looks like the way to go. Gholston, Harvey and (dare I say) even Groves might be appropriate for our #6. Depends on how insanely fast these guys are tomorrow. I expect good numbers from all of them.

Add Rubin as a NT in the second (if we're lucky enough to get him) and the defense will have addressed it's two most glaring weaknesses.

Later in the draft we could pick up an OL like Benedict, Schuening or even Jeremy Zuttah from Rutgers. Radovich will also be around. Several guys who could be solid NFL lineman. Not the Super Unit OL but a big upgrade over what we had last season.
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 02-24-2008 at 09:26 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=kennesawjet;2382554]why this constant need to replace moore at rg from you doofus'. almost every magazine has him rated pretty high or highly thought of. is it because he isnt one of these clamour picks that you doofus' like to fantasize about. or is it that he does his job with out a lot of fanfare that you like to dwell on.[/QUOTE]

Brandon Moore? I must be a doofus then because he is awful. Not Anthony Clement/Adrian Clarke awful but below average.

[QUOTE=lageman4ever;2382507]I don't give a **** if the guy runs a 3.25. You can't run fast if you're met by 3 defenders behind the line of scrimmage every play.

With our current OL McFadden will be a bust.[/QUOTE]

I wish I had said that !

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;2386101]Brandon Moore? I must be a doofus then because he is awful. Not Anthony Clement/Adrian Clarke awful but below average.[/QUOTE]

I think Moore is somewhere between JAG and below-average. But upgrading him is way down the list of priorities. It would be a luxury.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Defense, the front seven in particular, should be our #1 priority. Like Bit said, it's not far from being a very good unit.

We need:

One pass rushing stud OLB
    One middle linebacker to play next to Harris
    One good defensive linemen
    One solid starting corner to pair with Revis

Sounds like a lot but if we can utilize free agency as well as the draft it can be done this offseason.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=lageman4ever;2386106]I think Moore is somewhere between JAG and below-average. [B]But upgrading him is way down the list of priorities. It would be a luxury.[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, agree. Plus, he got an extention so he's not going anywhere. I would just prefer someone who can generate some push in the running game but that will have to come from the RT.

[quote=Buzzsaw;2386114]Yeah, agree. Plus, he got an extention so he's not going anywhere. I would just prefer someone who can generate some push in the running game but that will have to come from the RT.[/quote]

Even with the extension he would be cheap enough to keep for depth. We still need to find a LG and a couple defensive players in free agency before we worry about replacing Moore.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;2386114]Yeah, agree. Plus, he got an extention so he's not going anywhere. I would just prefer someone who can generate some push in the running game but that will have to come from the RT.[/QUOTE]

It's a sad statement that we drafted an OT in the top 5 of the 1st round,and he can't provide anything in run support.If everyone knows that we can only run right,how effective will we be when we need a 3rd and 1 when everyone knows where we will be running.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=lageman4ever;2386106]I think Moore is somewhere between JAG and below-average. But upgrading him is way down the list of priorities. It would be a luxury.[/QUOTE]

If we had kept Pete Kendall, we would be discussing replacing Clement, and, if we had the luxury, replacing Moore. We no longer have that luxury however, as we have to replace two terrible lineman.

All Pro
    I think the right approach is so "fix" a little bit of both. It's highly unlikely that we come out of this offseason and have our team set for the next couple of years. And there's nothing wrong with that since we have a pretty young team...

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;2386112]Defense, the front seven in particular, should be our #1 priority. Like Bit said, it's not far from being a very good unit.

We need:

One pass rushing stud OLB
    One middle linebacker to play next to Harris
    One good defensive linemen
    One solid starting corner to pair with Revis

Sounds like a lot but if we can utilize free agency as well as the draft it can be done this offseason.[/QUOTE]

Good points. It all depends on how well we do in free agency. If we can sign a good player for the OLine like Faneca, we would have much more options in the draft as we don't have to go with another highly touted Oline guy in round 2 maybe...