Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the Jets fix offense or defense this draft?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Should the Jets fix offense or defense this draft?

As we all know the Jets have lots of holes to fill this off-season. We have to rebuild our OL and add some offensive playmakers. But also we need to add a lot of bodies to our defensive front 7. How can we do all of this in one off season?

We can't.

Given the poor free agent class, I doubt the Jets will get more than 1 or 2 players at most. So the Jets have to fill most if not all of their holes with draft choices. And since we have a limited number of picks, we will have to choose to fix either the offense or defense. We can't fix both at the same time. So which do we choose?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fix the offense

Go OL for the first 3 picks. Gets us Otah, Nicks and Schuening. That's two starters and a quality backup who could challenge Moore for RG spot next season. Now the line is fixed. Next pick is for a quick slot WR, then a big possession WR and a late round pick for RB. Maybe throw a pass catching TE somewhere in the second day so we can run some double TE sets. That can compensate for the expected decline or loss of Coles.

This option gives the team a great running game. Good protection for Kellen to throw the ball. Adds a few modest weapons on offense. The good line allows for the TE to release much more often becoming a receiving threat. And running more allows the defense to stay rested off the field.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fix the defense

We've been trying to convert to the 3-4 for 2 seasons with little success. This is the draft to do it. Take OLB Gholston with our first pick. Then Rubin, Red Bryant, Pat Simms or Dre Moore with our second and third picks. With all of the 3-4 teams these guys could go earlier than expected. If so look for ILB like Wheeler or Beau Bell. Add a mid-round CB. Then fill out the rest of the draft with small school DE who could transition to OLB for us in a year or so. So we have some decent OLB prospects (which we don't have right now).

This option fixes the DL once and for all. We get 1 or 2 guys who can play NT. Brings some LB talent onto the ballclub. And gives an impact player and pass rusher which the Jets so desperately need with our first round choice.
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 02-22-2008 at 05:28 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    d

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which way do we go ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;2382323]Fix the offense

Go OL for the first 3 picks. Gets us Otah, Nicks and Schuening. That's two starters and a quality backup who could challenge Moore for RG spot next season. Now the line is fixed. Next pick is for a quick slot WR, then a big possession WR and a late round pick for RB. Maybe throw a pass catching TE somewhere in the second day so we can run some double TE sets. That can compensate for the expected decline or loss of Coles.

This option gives the team a great running game. Good protection for Kellen to throw the ball. Adds a few modest weapons on offense. The good line allows for the TE to release much more often becoming a receiving threat. And running more allows the defense to stay rested off the field.[/QUOTE]

Good plan !...but do not forget the DL....we need to pick up someone there or in FA...but that OL is the ticket Mr. Lageman !

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shodan9999;2382332]Good plan !...but do not forget the DL....we need to pick up someone there or in FA...but that OL is the ticket Mr. Lageman ![/QUOTE]

Obviously I'd love to pick up FA to round out the class in either direction. But I don't think that's likely to happen. So I wanted to frame the problem as a dichotomy to force people to make a choice. Fix the offense or fix the defense.

The good news is going full-bore with either plan really does provide a pretty permanent fix. But the team is so full of holes that the other side will suffer until next year's draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

defense

my top 3 general Jets targets 'short list' are

chris long, DMC, d harvey in that order, pending workouts. CL would be perfect for the locker room and the defense. DMC running a 4.3 doesn't necessarily put him higher than Chris Long in my mind.

the defense is closer to being dominant than the offense

two on on defense i guess that means fix the defense

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    offensive needs
    LG
    RT
    WR
    FB
    and possibly a franchise QB

Defensive needs
    NT
    DE
    OLB
    ILB
    CB

if jake long is gone at 6 there is no offensive player that will be available that will fill a big need unless we gamble on a QB

defensively we can go Ellis,Gholston,Long(if available) im skeptical if chris long can play the OLB position but if our coaches think he can he is another option

it looks like at 6 we should go defense where there is more quality
    the second round to me is all about getting a RT

i think this draft will be a mix of both offense and defense, hopefully we can find some good quality players who fit our system

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We got 7 draft picks all in the top 10 of every single round and 30+ million in cap space and we need forever to fix our team.

How exactly did the Giants went from losing all those games at the end of 2006 to winning the SB in 2008.

Last yr and at the begining of this yr the Giants defense sucked.Couldn't stop anyone.How did they turn around they team not only after the draft,but during the season.

Consider this also.The Giants lost 2 of the top performers on the offensive side of the ball for the 2007 season.
    Last edited by Tinstar; 02-22-2008 at 06:22 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    O-line
    Front 7

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Defense wins Championships...

17 - 14

Nuff Said

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    O

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2382388]my top 3 general Jets targets 'short list' are

chris long, DMC, d harvey in that order, pending workouts. CL would be perfect for the locker room and the defense. DMC running a 4.3 doesn't necessarily put him higher than Chris Long in my mind.

two on on defense i guess that means fix the defense[/QUOTE]

I agree with this also.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2382388]my top 3 general Jets targets 'short list' are

two on on defense i guess that means fix the defense[/QUOTE]

lol the only way i want McFadden is if he runs a 4.25 or better... and if he does... he will taken before #6

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mikey Z 6;2382497]lol the only way i want McFadden is if he runs a 4.25 or better... and if he does... he will taken before #6[/QUOTE]

I don't give a **** if the guy runs a 3.25. You can't run fast if you're met by 3 defenders behind the line of scrimmage every play.

With our current OL McFadden will be a bust.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The fix

Trade Drob and Vilma to the Lions for Shaun Rodgers and a 2nd or 3rd.I Just want Rodgers who becomes my 1st and 2nd down NT. Pouha replaces him on 3rd down.

Sign the Hotel and move him to LG.I'm giving him the $,but he's going to LG.If not him,then faneca.

Resign Hobson and move him inside next to Harris.

The Draft

1st - Matt Ryan: Please let him be there and we finally do the right thing

2nd - Dre Moore :Starting DE opposite Coleman.Hopefully.
    2ndb - James Hardy :Sam baker:Jamaal Charles

3rd - Carl Nicks : Starting RT in a camp battle with Bender

4th - Demarrio Pressley : DE

5th - Chevis Jackson - CB

6th - Spencer Larson - ILB

7th - Angelo craig - OLB
    Last edited by Tinstar; 02-22-2008 at 07:27 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the answer is that we need to push some needs off until next year but have to add talent on both sides of the ball instead of focusing on one unit. It will be more important to have the flexibility to add talent without focusing on one area of the team.

We have a lot of needs which puts us in a position to have some fleibility to take the best free agents to draft the best players available to us. Our cap space allows us to take some risks with big contracts to free agents and our own players as well.

A big nasty gap pluging DT able to take on double teams would help our defense more than just about anything else. Sadly there is no one avaiable that fits this description. The # 6 overall pick, our first rounder next year, and a contract with a poision pill (ala Curtis Martin) is too much even for Haynesworth. If we can fill our other holes perhaps this guy is our first rounder next year.

Our biggest need is at the guard position. Although guard is considered to be the least important position on the offensive line (at least salaries and draft picks would suggest this), our team was an object lesson on why the guard position can not be overlooked. Depending on Brandon Moore's play and his contract status (he was demanding more money during the Kendall fiasco), we may need to get two guards. Fortunately guard is the one position that will have the most interesting free agents. We can not be cheap here. Getting one of the top three guards avaialble in free agency should be our highest priority. We should also think about signing a second free agent at this position to compete with Moore or at least provide depth.

Right tackle is another must have for the Jets this year. Free agency has little to offer here but the draft may hold the solution to our problems. Although this draft class has depth at the tackle position, as many as seven or eight offensive linemen may be selected before the Jets make their second round pick. Whether we stay put, trade down, or trade up from round two the Jets would be wise to select an offensive tackle in the first round of the draft.

Outside linebacker is another big area of concern. Hobson had a bad year and will be a free agent. Using the sixth overall selection in the draft on a pass rusher seems to be a popular idea but we MUST find a right tackle for our offensive line in the draft. Free agency has little to offer but there is one player that can not be tagged and would help our ball club. Calvin Pace stepped up bigtime in his contract year in Arizona. He may not be a sack machine but he would allow us to move Bryan Thomas back to the other side of the DL. Together they would help us to put some pressure on opposing QBs.

Unless his rookie campaign was a fluke or there is some horrible injury, Revis will be the guy at one of our cornerback spots. Miller, Poteat, Dyson, and Barret just haven't locked up the other starting spot for 2008 as far as I am concerned. I think Samuel is overrated and may get a contract in the $11-12 mil range so I would pass on him. Unless we can't get any free agents at other positions I would prefer to pas on free agents corners altogether unless they come cheap. The draft has some depth at cornerback and some real talent in round one. Getting a stud at cornerback in the first three rounds of this draft would help our secondary to make Tom Brady very uncomfortable.

We could use an inside linebacker. I like Phillip Wheeler but he would cost us a second rounder so I am not sure if we can make that happen. Maybe we can find depth on day two and get a guy with some updise.

Elam is weak for a starting safety, I would be aggresive in free agency here. Gibril Wilson would be nice. The safeties in this draft don't excite me.

I don't like the free agents wideouts. Unless we trade for one, another round two possibility in the draft is Devin Thomas. We may have to go with what we have and hope Chansi Stuckey is the real deal.

Thomas Jones had one lousy TD last year. I don't care if it is round one or round seven but I would like to draft at least one RB this year. The talent at the position in this draft is outstanding.

I would like to see us sign a QB in free agency and trade Chad for whateveer we can get. I wouldn't mind seeing one in the draft either.

I am not sure our defensive linemen are all that great but I am not sure I want any of the free agents available. I am not excited about the value of the linemen in this year's draft either. I would like to get D-Rob off our cap so we can use the money in free agency. I am not sure what we can get for him in a trade.

Hopefully we can find some help at FB, TE, and punter in free agency.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

dont get this.............

[QUOTE=lageman4ever;2382323]Fix the offense

This option gives the team a great running game. Good protection for Kellen to throw the ball. Adds a few modest weapons on offense. The good line allows for the TE to release much more often becoming a receiving threat. And running more allows the defense to stay rested off the field.[/QUOTE]

why this constant need to replace moore at rg from you doofus'. almost every magazine has him rated pretty high or highly thought of. is it because he isnt one of these clamour picks that you doofus' like to fantasize about. or is it that he does his job with out a lot of fanfare that you like to dwell on.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennesawjet;2382554]why this constant need to replace moore at rg from you doofus'. almost every magazine has him rated pretty high or highly thought of. is it because he isnt one of these clamour picks that you doofus' like to fantasize about. or is it that he does his job with out a lot of fanfare that you like to dwell on.[/QUOTE]

Obviously you didn't watch him play last year. If you had you'd realize the guy is a JAG at best. A below average starter at worst. Trust your own eyes.

And when is competition for a roster spot a bad thing? Or is it better to be complacent with the starters we have. Surely our OL was so outstanding last season we shouldn't think of making any changes.