Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: TRADE ? ? ? : COLES to JAX ? ? ?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's good for the franchise long term to get rid of Coles. Without a tough, durable, YAC kind of receiver, we'll be forced to find a QB that can make plays with his arm.
    Last edited by jxc; 02-24-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jxc;2384691]It's good for the franchise long term to get rid of Coles. Without a tough, durable, YAC kind of receiver, [B]we'll be forced to find a QB that can make plays with his arm.[/B][/QUOTE]

:applause:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;2384243]Just a thought.

We have basically a rookie QB and a noodle armed back up.

Then we have an aging warrior getting killed over the middle and taking multiple concussions....

Recipe for disaster.

All things being equal, Coles doesnt last the 2008 season.

What can we do to cut our losses now?[/QUOTE]

that's what i'm thinking also... how much more punishment can Coles really take?

i think we already saw some "passing of the torch" last year in terms of Jerricho becoming our #1 guy. now that doesn't necessarily mean that he's a #1 receiver, just saying that last year he was more productive than LC for a few reasons, and he's turning out to be the same kind of receiver: tough, reliable, good hands, YAC threat.

if we can get something good for Coles now, with plenty of time to find find a suitable short-term (free agency, Stallworth?) and long-term (draft) replacement, i think it'd be wise to keep that option open.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2384203]Oh, I completely agree, I do NOT want to draft a WR in Round #1. Now, to be fair I don't want the cancer that is "Ocho Sicko" either, but I'm oldschool when it comes to sportsmanship.

My primary point was really just that:

--I dont see us getting alot for Coles. What we get back likely will not help in 2008/9 as much as Coles would.

--Once gone, the #1 WR Spot requires being filled, and Cotch isn't it (He's a good #2 though). Something would need be done.[/QUOTE]

I hear your point on Johnson. If you agree that we shouldn't burn the first pick on a wr, what would be your choice to fill the void left by Coles. I agree Cotchery isn't a 1. (I would further argue that Coles is more of a very good two rather than a 1, but thats irrelevent if he is gone). FA? Draft? Anyone in mind?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PAJET;2384743]I hear your point on Johnson. If you agree that we shouldn't burn the first pick on a wr, what would be your choice to fill the void left by Coles. I agree Cotchery isn't a 1. (I would further argue that Coles is more of a very good two rather than a 1, but thats irrelevent if he is gone). FA? Draft? Anyone in mind?[/QUOTE]

Honestly.......no idea.

I agree Coles is more a top-tier #2. But this team is so weak elsewhere (I mean stunningly, complete-breakdown type weak) that IMO we simply cannot allow Coles to leave. We cannot afford to replace him. Coles and Cotch may be a "Two Two's" tandem, but they are good enough, when compared to our weaknesses elsewhere.

If he goes, I have to admit, I have no idea how or who should replace him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=samwise;2383299]that doesn't count, he took 2 years off with the raiders[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2384816]Honestly.......no idea.

I agree Coles is more a top-tier #2. But this team is so weak elsewhere (I mean stunningly, complete-breakdown type weak) that IMO we simply cannot allow Coles to leave. We cannot afford to replace him. Coles and Cotch may be a "Two Two's" tandem, but they are good enough, when compared to our weaknesses elsewhere.

If he goes, I have to admit, I have no idea how or who should replace him.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough...and I have no problem with keeping Coles. He has done well for us and is a tough SOB. My fear is that is style of play is catching up with him sooner rather than later.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PAJET;2384899]Fair enough...and I have no problem with keeping Coles. He has done well for us and is a tough SOB. My fear is that is style of play is catching up with him sooner rather than later.[/QUOTE]

Of course it is. He is one hit away from the end at this point (IMO).

I never said this was a GOOD situation. But it is the situation our Front Office has put us in, talentless in many places, and with not nearly enough picks (or the desire to pay in FA) to correct these issues.

This, above all else, was why I questioned the Revis/Harris trade-ups. This team needed more than two bodies last offseason,a nd whilst they seem to be working out, the result of a 2-man draft is multiple talent holes and no depth, both issues we face today.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetfan13;2383251]great, lets get rid of the only person that resembles a playmaker[/QUOTE]

What about this kid Jerricho Cotchery ??? I hear he's really good.:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]GM Mike Tannenbaum, attending the scouting combine in Indianapolis, sat down for an interview today with Sirius radio. Here are some excepts, courtesy of Randy Lange of NewYorkJets.com.

On WR Laveranues Coles, who last week ripped the organization for lying to him about a contract extension: I have a lot of respect for Laveranues. Ive talked to him a lot recently. I saw his comments, obviously. Were going to just keep working hard and communicating. I think only good things happen when both sides keep talking. Hes an important member of our organization. Were trying to keep these conversations private in terms of the specifics, but hes a wonderful player, a better person and Im really glad hes a Jet.

(P.S.: I confirmed that the Jets have indeed offered to guarantee Coles salary in 2008 and 2009, a total of $11 million. My gut tells me that, if theyre willing to do that much, theyd be willing to give him a long-term deal with a big signing bonus.)[/QUOTE]

From Cimini's blog

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love Coles. I was one of the only Jets fans I knew that was excited to get him back in 2005 for Sideline Santana. But with the state of the Jets, I'd try to trade him to Jax or anybody else for as much as we could get.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JETS_for_life;2385347]I love Coles. [B] I was one of the only Jets fans I knew that was excited to get him back in 2005 for Sideline Santana.[/B] But with the state of the Jets, I'd try to trade him to Jax or anybody else for as much as we could get.[/QUOTE]

Huh?

This entire board was ecstatic and calling it robbery that we got back LC for Santana. :confused:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JMJ;2385530]Huh?

This entire board was ecstatic and calling it robbery that we got back LC for Santana. :confused:[/QUOTE]

I wasn't on this board then, so I was going off of Jets fans I know ;).

Also, I made a poll about it recently and a decent number chimed in that Santana was only underutilized here and they'd rather have him back...must have been a vocal minority though, as I'll take your word for it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh ,
    & don't forget ,
    florida has no state income tax . . ;)