Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TRADE ? ? ? : COLES to JAX ? ? ?

Hall Of Fame

TRADE ? ? ? : COLES to JAX ? ? ?

last updated: 02/22/08

~ ~ ~ In Jacksonville they are excited with the emergence of young linebackers Clint Ingram and Justin Durant, so there is also talk that Mike Peterson days may be numbered....They also would love to pry :eek: Laveranues Coles :eek: from New York to bring him back home, so don't be surprised if thes two teams dance on draft day....

> [url]http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm[/url]

wow...that would be a surprise...he would net a 2nd or 3rd rounder...it would be amazing if the jets traded robertson for a 3rd, vilma for a second and coles for a 2nd or third...that would give us a lot of draft picks in a pretty deep draft...i love the idea.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

great, lets get rid of the only person that resembles a playmaker

Hall Of Fame
    I'd do it. the reality of the NFL is older players don't get more productive, just less and less

bring in fresh legs and big bodies for the mill

I would love to see the Jets be able to trade Coles. I believe that Coles is one concussion away from retiring. The guy right now is reminding me a lot of the Chrebet situation years back and the Al Toon situation. Cole was a great reciever but After watching him last year I think he has maybe 1 good season left. The Jets would be smart to trade him now and get somthing for him then to resign him to a big contract and have him retire from a concussion.

All Pro
    QUOTE=jetfan13;2383251]great, lets get rid of the only person that resembles a playmaker[/QUOTE]
    There really is only one response....

:bangwall::huh:[

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=samwise;2383254]I'd do it. the reality of the NFL is older players don't get more productive, just less and less

bring in fresh legs and big bodies for the mill[/QUOTE]

Two words to blow your theory:

Randy Moss

Not to sound overly sentimental, but if we were to get rid of Coles, at least he'd be going "back home".

Depending what we got in return, it could be a win/win.

I love the guy, but I don't see how he's part of our "big picture" future.

Again, all dependent on what we would get for him . . .

Veteran
    i would trade him for a 2nd or 3rd in a hear beat. The only problem would getting a deep threat in the draft but if someone like sweed or another big guy fell to us in the second that would be out standing

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;2383293]Two words to blow your theory:

Randy Moss[/QUOTE]

that doesn't count, he took 2 years off with the raiders

Banned
    [QUOTE=jetfan13;2383251]great, lets get rid of the only person that resembles a playmaker[/QUOTE]

"Used to be" a playmaker.

Coles skills have greatly diminished, plus he's a malcontent.

It would be highway robbery if the Jets got a 2nd rounder for Coles.

We lose Coles we better find a replacement fast!!! And I'm not talking via draft.

Get it done. Start cleaning house. Anyone with any value...send them packing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=HessStation;2383306]We lose Coles we better find a replacement fast!!! And I'm not talking via draft.[/QUOTE]

Yes we need a replacement but I think Cotchery is a equal talent to Coles and is younger and healthier football wise..

I hate when fans just want to pile up picks! Picks mean nothing. The draft is a crap shoot. You hope that 4 or 5 guys from the draft even make the team. If they are trading coles for a pick, they better be bringing in Chad Johnson. Coles when healthy will give you 80 catches, 900 yards, 8 td's and he'll play hurt...Can you guarantee that production from a rookie....I doubt it.

All Pro
    for a 2nd rounder i would do it. gives us the ability to build up the offensive line and take a shot on Hardy, Sweed, or Nelson as Cotch steps into the 1.
    Last edited by Vona41; 02-23-2008 at 10:44 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm torn on this. Coles is a great receiver and has always been a gamer. You can tell he was continually banged up and played right on through it. However, who knows when one of those hits is going to sit him up for an entire season? If we can get a second rounder in return I think you pull the trigger. This team is still being built for the future and will need playmakers for years to come, not playmakers of the past.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=HessStation;2383306]We lose Coles we better find a replacement fast!!! And I'm not talking via draft.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

If we sign another capable #1 (or really good WR) I would be happy as all hell to trade Coles for a 2nd or 3rd draft pick. However, if we did this move without already having another WR on the roster, and not knowing who exactly will be available to us in the draft and know we might not actually get they guy we're targeting it could be a disaster.

While Leon is our best playmaker, I firmly believe Coles is still our best offensive weapon. The guy runs super-crisp routes, gets open, and makes tough catches every single week.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Savage69;2383315]Yes we need a replacement but I think Cotchery is a equal talent to Coles and is younger and healthier football wise..[/QUOTE]

Exactly. There is no reason not to believe Cotchery can assume the #1 WR position.

Finding a reliable #2 should not be that difficult.

But what the Jets really need, is an effective slot receiver. Brad Smith is not the answer there.

The Jets would have to at a bare minimum get a 2nd rounder or it is not worth it. As it is the Jets need at least two WR's in addition to Coles and Cotchery. Coles is a quality WR who plays hurt and plays at a high level. We'd just be creating yet another hole on the team that we may or may not be able to fill properly via the draft.