Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TRADE ? ? ? : COLES to JAX ? ? ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman;2383322]I hate when fans just want to pile up picks! Picks mean nothing. The draft is a crap shoot. You hope that 4 or 5 guys from the draft even make the team. If they are trading coles for a pick, they better be bringing in Chad Johnson. Coles when healthy will give you 80 catches, 900 yards, 8 td's and he'll play hurt...Can you guarantee that production from a rookie....I doubt it.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. Piling up draft picks makes for a very fun and exciting draft day, but it also can lead to another 4-12 season REAL FAST when some of those guys bust. Trading Coles for an unknown without another WR already signed through free agnecy is a very, very risky thing to do or be excited about.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetfan13;2383251]great, lets get rid of the only person that resembles a playmaker[/QUOTE]

You want to trade our Kick Returner?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2383332]
    But what the Jets really need, is an effective slot receiver. Brad Smith is not the answer there.[/QUOTE]

We'll give you a 7th for Welker..:P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2383332]Exactly. There is no reason not to believe Cotchery can assume the #1 WR position.

Finding a reliable #2 should not be that difficult.

But what the Jets really need, is an effective slot receiver. Brad Smith is not the answer there.[/QUOTE]

If the Jets dumped Coles they would need to get 3 more receivers. Smith can;'t do the job, McCraphands was garbage. Teams need 3 good WR's and at least a competant 4th guy to groom and depth.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nyjets1969;2383258] After watching him last year I think he has maybe 1 good season left. The Jets would be smart to trade him now and get somthing for him then to resign him to a big contract and have him retire from a concussion.[/QUOTE]

even if he has 2-3 good seasons left, are the Jets really making a run in 2 years?
    I say trade him while you can before his value tanks like Vilma's and Robertson's.

I bet it happens too. (1) He is already griping about "only" 2 years on his contract and (2) with Kendall gone he is the last of the vocal players from Herm's regime, who endlessly bellyaches during training camp. Mangini would love to get rid of him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JMJ;2383335]Bingo. Piling up draft picks makes for a very fun and exciting draft day, but it also can lead to another 4-12 season REAL FAST when some of those guys bust. Trading Coles for an unknown without another WR already signed through free agnecy is a very, very risky thing to do or be excited about.[/QUOTE]

These posts wouldn't come up if Coles was happy but he's not..You have to factor in that he's going to be a Kendall like PITA from here on in..Plus he's lives in Jacksonville and probley would love to play in the warmer weather at home..:yes: That being said Coles has always been a favorite of mine but the good of the Team comes first..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;2383347]These posts wouldn't come up if Coles was happy but he's not..You have to factor in that he's going to be a Kendall like PITA from here on in..Plus he's lives in Jacksonville and probley would love to play in the warmer weather at home..:yes: That being said Coles has always been a favorite of mine but the good of the Team comes first..[/QUOTE]

Oh I agree whole heartedly that if he is going to be a malcontent all training camp and etc then we should explore our options. However, if we're seriously contacting other teams about moving Coles, we should be simultaneously contacting the agents of WRs like Jerry Porter, and other teams like Cincy, Detroit, Denver, and Arizona who rumors are swirling might be looking to trade their #1 WRs.

I just think it would be irresponsible to trade our best overall offensive player without knowing for certainty we have a capable replacement. We did have one of the bottom 6 offenses in the league. It could be a disaster if we don't replace Coles with somebody at least as good or better and there is no guarantee we get that drafting a WR out of the first round.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2383303]"Used to be" a playmaker.

Coles skills have greatly diminished, plus he's a malcontent.

It would be highway robbery if the Jets got a 2nd rounder for Coles.[/QUOTE]

godammit, i hate agreeing with you :mad:

Coles should be praised and admired for his toughness and no-nonsense attitude once he steps on the field. the guy leaves it all on the turf on gameday, and combined with years of getting hung up to dry by Chad's "lobs", his body is starting to break down.

i can't recall a season when LC didn't play through some nagging injury(ies) the whole time, and he's past the point in his career where he wants to sacrifice his body for a rebuilding team. if the guy doesn't wanna play here anymore, let him go and get some value while he's still worth a first-day pick (guessing bottom of the 2nd, top of the 3rd).

besides, Cotchery is turning out to be the same kind of receiver. what we need now is a big, physical deep-threat to match on the other side. it'll be tough to see LC go, but it's a move i'll support if and when it happens.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guys..Cotchery is NOT a #1 wr...I'm fine with trading coles for a #2 ONLY if the Jets get Chad Johnson or a bonafide #1 WR..Coles is the only WR we have had since Keyshawn who is tough, plays hurt, and makes all the catches...The offense will SUCK if you start Cotchery and any of the level 2 Mathew Hatchette types! If you are going to trade a coles then you NEED a legit #1 WR to replace him.
    Last edited by bman; 02-23-2008 at 11:00 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;2383296]Not to sound overly sentimental, but if we were to get rid of Coles, at least he'd be going "back home".[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://home.pacific.net.hk/~shung/favorites/et.jpg[/IMG]

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2383332]Exactly. There is no reason not to believe Cotchery can assume the #1 WR position.

Finding a reliable #2 should not be that difficult.

you are a idiot...2 years ago you continually said Cotchery was not a #1 and never will be...you are so predictable that you aren't even amusing anymore

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EY;2383361][IMG]http://home.pacific.net.hk/~shung/favorites/et.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Sam Cassel?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EY;2383361][IMG]http://home.pacific.net.hk/~shung/favorites/et.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Come to think of it, the resemblance is striking.

[IMG]http://eatourbrains.com/EoB/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/et.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h115/ericyellin/77518523.jpg[/IMG]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot see Coles, at this stage of his career and with his injury history, garnering us anything better than a 4th. Maybe a 3rd if we're lucky (or good).

And if thats all he's worth, I'd rather keep him. Our WR Corp. is weak as it is. Trading Coles mandates drafting a WR in the first round, and we have more pressing needs IMO.

Of course, it may become a mandatory move to ship Coles if the breach between him and the Jets has grown too wide over ohis claim that our Front Office has been dishonest in their dealing with him. If thats the case, I guess it's a "get what we can out of it" scenario. Sad, if it's come to that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You take that deal in a split second. The man wants to get paid for the waning years of his career. Send him to JAX and let them pony up the dollars-he'll find out real quick if JAX thinks he's worth the money/length of contract as he thinks he is worth.

Coles isn't an elite WR. He's still got some left in the tank, but it's not like we're building the team around what he has left. Trade the man while he still has value. We had 4 wins last year...how much of a difference did he make?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;2383368]Sam Cassel?[/QUOTE]

lol

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be equivalent of trading away Kendall without a suitable replacedment

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    can you please stop posting madden esque rumours that have no shot at happening? coles isnt going anywhere.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2383372]
    Of course, it may become a mandatory move to ship Coles if the breach between him and the Jets has grown too wide over ohis claim that our Front Office has been dishonest in their dealing with him. If thats the case, I guess it's a "get what we can out of it" scenario. Sad, if it's come to that.[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid that's what it will come to Fish..Coles is one of my all time favorite Jets but that chip on his shoulder that serves him well on the field becomes a headache off of it..:(

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Play2Win;2383377]It would be equivalent of trading away Kendall without a suitable replacedment[/QUOTE]

And hopefully they learned their lesson in regards to this last year.