Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: TUBA just doing the Bench.....

[QUOTE=Kerry Rhodes;2386235]We have been talking about him for over a month now. Where were you guys?[/QUOTE]

Btw, just to confirm others in the world are talking about him and his buzz here is a mock from scott Wright(who often does very well in mock contest every year)

[url]http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraftround2.html[/url]

He has Tuba in the second round. This is a guy extremely new to the scene, and depending on tomm well know if hes a late first/early second, or second/third.

Btw the "Sound poster" above talked about all these proven DT's.....In the mock Rubin is drafted only behind

Pat Sims
    Dorsey
    Ellis
    Balmer

Ahead of those proven "DT's" Okam, Bryant, and Harrison. Right now I think Tuba, Moore, and Sims are all in the race for the 4th DT spot ofcourse depending on the team OTC.....

[QUOTE=David Harris;2386220]That's some sound posting.

I'm not hating on this guy but just trying to put some brakes on the bandwagon. How did this guy shoot into being a late 1st rounder all of a sudden, because KR thought he looked good with his shirt off? Did he bench 50 reps or run a 4.6 at 300 lbs?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely ridiculous, we've been talking about him for 2 months now DH

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Kerry Rhodes;2386235]We have been talking about him for over a month now. Where were you guys?[/QUOTE]

Certainly he's been discussed a lot here because he fits a glaring need but that's my point, that he's being overvalued on this forum. I don't see him projected anywhere near the end of round one except by those in this draft forum. Perhaps you guys are just that far ahead of the curve and others will catch on or perhaps we're reaching because we're that desperate for a true 3-4 NT and there is simply no one else.

If there are more talented players at different positions of need, even if they are of a lesser need such as RT or OLB than I want the talent everyday of the week and twice on sunday.

If he rates out that high than I'm all for it.

Hall Of Fame
    [url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127675&page=5[/url]

just for a little proof that Bitoni and Kerry Rhodes have been on this player since January.

Jets Insider VIP
    Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel

All Pro
    [QUOTE=HessStation;2386260]Absolutely ridiculous, we've been talking about him for 2 months now DH[/QUOTE]

Discussed ad nauseam I know, I've been here.

I'm just saying is he that good to warrant the 36th pick of this talent-rich draft?

(Granted this is pre-combine) Scott Wright has him rated as a mid rounder (3rd - 5th round). GBN has him ranked as their 134th best player.

He'll probably get drafted higher because of the position he fills but it's still passing over talent for need something the Jets with their abundance of holes shouldn't be doing.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jets Voice of Reason;2386265][url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127675&page=5[/url]

just for a little proof that Bitoni and Kerry Rhodes have been on this player since January.[/QUOTE]

Guys I don't need any proof. I've been in the DF everyday since before the superbowl.

He's been on the radar of this DF for a long time. I'm asking if he's truly worthy of the 36th pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

[QUOTE=David Harris;2386262]Certainly he's been discussed a lot here because he fits a glaring need but that's my point, that he's being overvalued on this forum. I don't see him projected anywhere near the end of round one except by those in this draft forum. Perhaps you guys are just that far ahead of the curve and others will catch on or perhaps we're reaching because we're that desperate for a true 3-4 NT and there is simply no one else.

If there are more talented players at different positions of need, even if they are of a lesser need such as RT or OLB than I want the talent everyday of the week and twice on sunday.

If he rates out that high than I'm all for it.[/QUOTE]

that's how i feel, also. i'm a little worried about this guy shooting up draft boards AFTER the season, on the simple basis that he's the most prototypical 3-4 NT prospect in the draft.

like i've said, haven't seen much of either Rubin or Bryant in live action, but i'm far more impressed with Bryant's college resume than Rubin's.

but like DH said, if the kid checks out, i'm all for it.

[QUOTE=David Harris;2386274]Discussed ad nauseam I know, I've been here.

I'm just saying is he that good to warrant the 36th pick of this talent-rich draft?

(Granted this is pre-combine) Scott Wright has him rated as a mid rounder (3rd - 5th round). GBN has him ranked as their 134th best player.

He'll probably get drafted higher because of the position he fills but it's still passing over talent for need something the Jets with their abundance of holes shouldn't be doing.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you DH, I picked up on what your saying on later posts...and I think you make a point about being worried about the late risers.

But he has been moving up boards for a while and since he fits the need he is probably ranked a little higher here.

But he still fits the bill in the 2nd. Best NT prospect out there.

[QUOTE=Jets Voice of Reason;2386265][url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127675&page=5[/url]

just for a little proof that Bitoni and Kerry Rhodes have been on this player since January.[/QUOTE]

Thanks VOR...

Can anyone with search check out CBNY's scouting report of Tuba after he watched some tapes of him? It was bettter then anything anyone here wil read about Tuba on Draftcountdown, or GBN.

David Harris--Scott Wright had him as a second rounder in his last mock 3 weeks ago. Those rankings of 3-5 round from him/GBN are outdated. I gave you the link to his mock.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Kerry Rhodes;2386353]Thanks VOR...

Can anyone with search check out CBNY's scouting report of Tuba after he watched some tapes of him? It was bettter then anything anyone here wil read about Tuba on Draftcountdown, or GBN.

David Harris--Scott Wright had him as a second rounder in his last mock 3 weeks ago. Those rankings of 3-5 round from him/GBN are outdated. I gave you the link to his mock.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I saw that when I double checked. 2nd round, #56 however :cool:

In the DT rankings he has up he has Rubin ranked as the #10 DT. Granted it's from approx. a month ago but remember that no football has been played in the last month.

1. Glenn Dorsey L.S.U. 6-2 299 5.05
    2. Sedrick Ellis USC 6-1 285 4.95
    3. Kentwan Balmer North Carolina 6-5 295 5.05
    4. Pat Sims Auburn 6-4 314 5.05
    5. Marcus Harrison Arkansas 6-3 310 5.00
    6. Trevor Laws Notre Dame 6-1 295 5.00
    7. Red Bryant Texas A&M 6-5 324 5.15
    8. Dre Moore Maryland 6-4 311 4.90
    9. DeMario Pressley North Carolina St. 6-3 295 5.00
    [B]10. Ahtyba Rubin Iowa St. 6-3 326 5.15[/B]
    11. Andre Fluellen Florida St. 6-4 280 5.00
    12. Frank Okam Texas 6-5 320 5.10
    13. Letroy Guion Florida St. 6-4 295 5.15
    14. Lionel Dotson Arizona 6-4 286 5.05
    15. Nick Hayden Wisconsin 6-5 301 5.15

I respect all of the core posters in the DF and those opinions certainly hold weight with me. I'm just skeptical as there are some red flags here. A guy shooting up boards well after the last snap has been played. The only body that fits the 3-4 DT, its tempting to want him to work.

If he has the talent of a #36 pick then I'd be thrilled to fill our biggest need but if not there is going to be 1st round grade guys at that pick.

Veteran
    I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the guy played at Iowa State, not exactly a perennial powerhouse. I can't remember the last time I even saw an Iowa State game on television.

Rubin looks really solid in the video, chiseled ('cept for the gut.)

[QUOTE=maury420;2386428]Rubin looks really solid in the video, chiseled ('cept for the gut.)[/QUOTE]

Which vid? Link?

[QUOTE=Kerry Rhodes;2386430]Which vid? Link?[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.nfl.com/videos?categoryId=events&filter=combine[/url]

go to "LB and DL Bench Press"

i must say, i was very impressed with Rubin's physique. the guy is JACKED... my only concern is that he may not be 320+ as advertised. any confirmation on his weigh-in numbers?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Kerry Rhodes;2385917]Unless Miami trades with Dallas we should be fine.

Dallas runs a 1 gap, and has their dlineman signed.
    SF needs a WR, or offense bad. Nolans going to lose his job next year, and Tuba is a 2 year investment IMO.
    Miami--If they dont take a QB at one, We should be safe. That spot could be T, or QB.[/QUOTE]

The thing though is, that teams like the Chargers or Dallas just stockpile true 3-4 talent. They got tons of backups capable of stepping which partly makes their defense so good. Just like last year - the Chargers just bring in Cesaire when Jamal Williams was out, a perfect fit for the system, and Dallas could just replace their nose tackle.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2386269]Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel Please don't let him turn into this year's Schlegel[/QUOTE]

Schlegel was predicted by most "experts" to be a 6th or 7th round pick. Some even considered him to be an UDFA type. I dont recall there being any buzz re him on this siite prior to the draft.

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2386585]Schlegel was predicted by most "experts" to be a 6th or 7th round pick. Some even considered him to be an UDFA type. I dont recall there being any buzz re him on this siite prior to the draft.[/QUOTE]

The buzz for Schlegel was after the draft - WTF is this guy ?

[QUOTE=lageman4ever;2386614]The buzz for Schlegel was after the draft - WTF is this guy ?[/QUOTE]

Exactly and thats the difference between Tuba and Schlegel. Tuba has buzz going into the draft. Schlegel did not

[QUOTE=David Harris;2386385]Yup, I saw that when I double checked. 2nd round, #56 however :cool:

In the DT rankings he has up he has Rubin ranked as the #10 DT. Granted it's from approx. a month ago but remember that no football has been played in the last month.

1. Glenn Dorsey L.S.U. 6-2 299 5.05
    2. Sedrick Ellis USC 6-1 285 4.95
    3. Kentwan Balmer North Carolina 6-5 295 5.05
    4. Pat Sims Auburn 6-4 314 5.05
    5. Marcus Harrison Arkansas 6-3 310 5.00
    6. Trevor Laws Notre Dame 6-1 295 5.00
    7. Red Bryant Texas A&M 6-5 324 5.15
    8. Dre Moore Maryland 6-4 311 4.90
    9. DeMario Pressley North Carolina St. 6-3 295 5.00
    [B]10. Ahtyba Rubin Iowa St. 6-3 326 5.15[/B]
    11. Andre Fluellen Florida St. 6-4 280 5.00
    12. Frank Okam Texas 6-5 320 5.10
    13. Letroy Guion Florida St. 6-4 295 5.15
    14. Lionel Dotson Arizona 6-4 286 5.05
    15. Nick Hayden Wisconsin 6-5 301 5.15

I respect all of the core posters in the DF and those opinions certainly hold weight with me. I'm just skeptical as there are some red flags here. A guy shooting up boards well after the last snap has been played. The only body that fits the 3-4 DT, its tempting to want him to work.

If he has the talent of a #36 pick then I'd be thrilled to fill our biggest need but if not there is going to be 1st round grade guys at that pick.[/QUOTE]

Probably a fair ranking since he is a better NT prospect than DT. For a DT pick you want at least some kind of pass rushing promise. That's why you see him where he is.

You rank these guys purely on standing their ground on double teams and clogging holes, he is a lot higher on the list DH.