Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TUBA just doing the Bench.....

[QUOTE=David Harris;2386063]Great, so despite having 11 holes we can reach for a guy that "fits our system."

The Jets are the most talent-deplete team in the NFL this side of Miami. We need top players not Kenyon Colemans.[/QUOTE]

Were not even sure hell get to us, How is this a reach?

-------------------------------------------

Btw, hes is a ten times better fit then Bryant at NT. Bryant fits so much better as an end.

[QUOTE=Kerry Rhodes;2386090]Were not even sure hell get to us, How is this a reach?

Btw, hes is a ten times better fit then Bryant at NT. Bryant fits so much better as an end.[/QUOTE]

Imagine if somehow we got the two picks from Dallas. Use them on Harvey and Rubin. Then take Red Bryant in the 2nd.

That would be a good start to the draft !

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Kerry Rhodes;2386090]Were not even sure hell get to us, How is this a reach?

Btw, hes is a ten times better fit then Bryant at NT. Bryant fits so much better as an end.[/QUOTE]

I was arguing the against the reasoning for taking him.

We need talent. Relative to almost every other source I've seen, this board is overrating this guy.

If he is truly among the top 40 prospects as far as talent is concerned then I'm all for taking him. However, we have too many holes to fill and there is too much talent at that portion of the draft to pull a Pouha.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=David Harris;2386130]I was arguing the against the reasoning for taking him.

We need talent. Relative to almost every other source I've seen, this board is overrating this guy.

If he is truly among the top 40 prospects as far as talent is concerned then I'm all for taking him. However, we have too many holes to fill and there is too much talent at that portion of the draft to pull a Pouha.[/QUOTE]

Fact is our defense will never be considered elite without a great NT and this guy seems to fit the bill. How often do prototypical 3-4 NT's come around? If he's considere a late second early third round guy, I wouldn't argue with us taking him with our second pick. It is perhaps the biggest need on this team.

[QUOTE=lageman4ever;2386097]Imagine if somehow we got the two picks from Dallas. Use them on Harvey and Rubin. Then take Red Bryant in the 2nd.

That would be a good start to the draft ![/QUOTE]

I think Bryant is a later guy then that, but he did look better at the senior bowl.

Btw Bench

Bryant, and Merling got up 20 and 17:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

[B]Btw, hes is a ten times better fit then Bryant at NT. Bryant fits so much better as an end.[/B][/QUOTE]

why do you feel Bryant is a DE, just cause he's tall?

the guy is one of the premier run-stuffers in the country, starting at NT since his freshman year. the guy is known for anchoring against the run and occupying multiple blockers, freeing-up his teammates to make plays.

the knock on him is that he's not good in space and that he's slow to change directions... so why would you want him at DE?

please explain, maybe i'm missing something.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Kerry Rhodes;2386138]I think Bryant is a later guy then that, but he did look better at the senior bowl.

Btw Bench

Bryant, and Merling got up 20 and 17:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:[/QUOTE]

Wow, 17 for Merling? And here i thought something was wrong with the damn weights because everyone was posting 30+

Veteran
    Very surprised to see 17 from Merling, I always thought he looked strong. Red Bryant put up 20 reps, and some people are suggesting him as a 3-4 NT? Obviously that's not the be all end all, but if Robertson mustered up 30 and cannot hold the point of attack from the position, imagine what Bryant would look like trying. :eek::eek:

... Have any of you even seen Rubin play ... If you guys don't recall correctly Sione Pouha had almost identical combine number to Vince Wilfork (h/w... everything)... It doesn't mean he understands how to play.

I can't really imagine.. I mean unless his game tape is outter worldly that he gets taken before the proven commodity (playing against better competition) in Okam of Texas, Bryant of AndM, Moore of Maryland, or Harrison of Arkansas... There are other guys that can play NT in this draft... not just "tuba" who has absoultely nothing in the tank (in terms of footage) to suggest that he even get taken in the first day... Remember he was an alternate at the senior bowl... he just came in cuz another guy got hurt.

Yes, he looks the part (as does S.Pouha), yes he measured out well (as did S. Pouha), but there are 100's of other guys like that who have come and gone throughout the history of the league who just don't know how to play football very well. Unless everyone else knows something about him going up against the best C/G in the country and consistently holding his own vs. the double team that I don't, I have no idea why he would be taken by as at 36, or anyone else before said point.

Remember in terms of interior lineman, this isn't the greatest crop, in fact it is one of the poorer groups to come out in some time... So unless he went against the best this year has to offer and owned... I see no reason why he would be a good starter in the NFL.

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;2386142]why do you feel Bryant is a DE, just cause he's tall?

the guy is one of the premier run-stuffers in the country, starting at NT since his freshman year. the guy is known for anchoring against the run and occupying multiple blockers, freeing-up his teammates to make plays.

the knock on him is that he's not good in space and that he's slow to change directions... so why would you want him at DE?

please explain, maybe i'm missing something.[/QUOTE]

Why I dont like him in the second, or why not at NT?

I dont like him at NT because of his size. His arm Length is adequate but he is actually too tall for NT. For an NT you want a fire hydrant, a guy impossible to get leverage on. A guy 6'5 is going to have a real hard time when to guys(Center and Guards usually shorter then him) are getting under him. With his under average strength I def question if he could do it.

I beilieve he played NT in the 4-3, and with his size those who like Bryant would probably want him in the 3-4 De position. Hell maintain the outside, and match up very well against the tackles. I just feel if your super into Red, hes more of a richard seymour then a Vince Wilfork.
    Last edited by KR; 02-24-2008 at 10:26 PM.

[QUOTE=Jets Voice of Reason;2386150]Wow, 17 for Merling? And here i thought something was wrong with the damn weights because everyone was posting 30+[/QUOTE]

It def dissapoints me bigtime. I liked him in the early teens in a trade down.

You have to wonder how much of that 270's is fat, especially after he came down from a heavier weight.

[QUOTE=David Harris;2386130]I was arguing the against the reasoning for taking him.

If he is truly among the top 40 prospects as far as talent is concerned then I'm all for taking him. However, we have too many holes to fill and there is too much talent at that portion of the draft to pull a Pouha.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, we've heard about his ideal build, his strength and some decent play in senior bowl week but I sure did not hear alot about this guy before all of this. What has his play been like the last 2 years or so? Beware the fast rising guy coming out of nowhere. If after doing their diligent homework the Jets truly feel this guy has big value sure but I just have not heard enough good things about his actual play.

So Merling won't be going at 6 then like one poster on here indicated the other day? :P

[QUOTE=WoodyPaige;2385858]Ahtyba Rubin.[/QUOTE]

oh, ok. So i guess tyba is pronounced tuba? Makes sense.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=alexgutterson;2386175]... Have any of you even seen Rubin play ... If you guys don't recall correctly Sione Pouha had almost identical combine number to Vince Wilfork (h/w... everything)... It doesn't mean he understands how to play.

I can't really imagine.. I mean unless his game tape is outter worldly that he gets taken before the proven commodity (playing against better competition) in Okam of Texas, Bryant of AndM, Moore of Maryland, or Harrison of Arkansas... There are other guys that can play NT in this draft... not just "tuba" who has absoultely nothing in the tank (in terms of footage) to suggest that he even get taken in the first day... Remember he was an alternate at the senior bowl... he just came in cuz another guy got hurt.

Yes, he looks the part (as does S.Pouha), yes he measured out well (as did S. Pouha), but there are 100's of other guys like that who have come and gone throughout the history of the league who just don't know how to play football very well. Unless everyone else knows something about him going up against the best C/G in the country and consistently holding his own vs. the double team that I don't, I have no idea why he would be taken by as at 36, or anyone else before said point.

Remember in terms of interior lineman, this isn't the greatest crop, in fact it is one of the poorer groups to come out in some time... So unless he went against the best this year has to offer and owned... I see no reason why he would be a good starter in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

That's some sound posting.

I'm not hating on this guy but just trying to put some brakes on the bandwagon. How did this guy shoot into being a late 1st rounder all of a sudden, because KR thought he looked good with his shirt off? Did he bench 50 reps or run a 4.6 at 300 lbs?

[QUOTE=Kerry Rhodes;2386176]Why I dont like him in the second, or why not at NT?

I dont like him at NT because of his size. His arm Length is adequate but he is actually too tall for NT. For an NT you want a fire hydrant, a guy impossible to get leverage on. A guy 6'5 is going to have a real hard time when to guys(Center and Guards usually shorter then him) are getting under him. With his under average strength I def question if he could do it.

I beilieve he played NT in the 4-3, and with his size those who like Bryant would probably want him in the 3-4 De position. Hell maintain the outside, and match up very well against the tackles. I just feel if your super into Red, hes more of a richard seymour then a Vince Wilfork.[/QUOTE]

alright, so it's a height thing and not something related to the way he plays. the reason i ask is because everything i've read about him is that he plays with great leverage, and his specialty is digging in against the run and occupying multiple blockers. i've seen him repeatedly described as "an immovable object" who limited oponents to less than 1 ypc on running plays directed at him. scouting reports talk about his wide base and wide hips, as well as a low center of gravity, making it tough for blockers to latch on to him.

so while i realize he may be "too tall" everything else seems to indicate that he is exactly what you look for in a 2-gap NT. and while his 20 bench reps are certainly a disappointment, his playing strength never comes into question in the scouting reports, where he is described as overpowering blockers and stopping opponents' momentum upon contact.

to be completely honest, i don't know if he's better or has more potential as an NT than Rubin; i haven't seen much of either one other than scouting reports. but from everything i've read on both, he seems to be just as good, if not better option than "Tuba." what i'm saying is that i think the Rubin hype is getting a little out of hand, especially with people even talking about trading up in the the bottom of the first, when we have so many other needs we need to take care of.

[QUOTE=David Harris;2386220]That's some sound posting.

I'm not hating on this guy but just trying to put some brakes on the bandwagon. How did this guy shoot into being a late 1st rounder all of a sudden, because KR thought he looked good with his shirt off? Did he bench 50 reps or run a 4.6 at 300 lbs?[/QUOTE]

We have been talking about him for over a month now. Where were you guys?

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;2386142]why do you feel Bryant is a DE, just cause he's tall?

please explain, maybe i'm missing something.[/QUOTE]

KR is getting hit from a couple of different directions here and I think he's 100% right on Rubin and Bryant. I'm just too tired to go through it again but talk to the people that have seen both of them play, mostly experts will tell you the same thing. Yeah you might catch somebody say Red can play NT but he's not the unmovable space eater some on this board are making him out to be. In a 3-4 he's a DE but his best fit will be as a rotational 4-3 DT in the NFL. He's neither strong nor wide enough to play NT.
    Last edited by HessStation; 02-24-2008 at 10:56 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Kerry Rhodes;2386235]We have been talking about him for over a month now. Where were you guys?[/QUOTE]

Not only that, during the year, Red Bryant and Frank Okam didn't exactly look too impressive either.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;2385888]35[/QUOTE]

I saw Gholston do more..not good.