Thread: OT: Connecting lap top to big screen to watch baseball?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

OT: Connecting lap top to big screen to watch baseball?

Ok I'm somewhat stupid when it comes to questions like this, so forgive me if it's a dumb question.

I'm thinking about getting the MLB TV thing from MLB.com so I can watch any Dodgers game I want here in Iowa. I don't have direct tv and am not switching so that's out.

Now my question is...can I plug my lap top into my TV and watch the game on my full screen? I know my tv in the back has a red and yellow input labeled PC on the back so I assume I can, or is that only viewing a still image?

And if so, will the picture be full size on my tv or limited?

Last question is will it be all grainy like on the computer or have the same quality as any program on my tv, I doubt I could have it be hd, but that's ok.

Thanks in advance!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your TV is just another monitor. You will be able to hook up your laptop to the TV. The quality will be just as you receive on the laptop.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depending how old your TV is it should have a VGA connection on it as well as a plug for the audio. Your Tv will then be an extension of the laptop monitor.

As far as the quality, generally the larger you stretch an image the grainier it becomes.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Many laptops/Tv also have S-video capability which makes connectng them easy. However you wil also need the RCA cables if you want the sound to come from your TV rather than the laptop. I did this so I can watch English Premier League matches. Its not a bad setup.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did this last year. Connected my laptop using a VGA cable to my big screen. The results were very disappointing. Stretching the picture made it very grainy so I watched mostly on my laptop.

BTW, I had the upgraded MLB TV and the picture still sucked.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have digital cable? If so you can just get the extra innings package. I had it for the second half last season and it was unreal. They even supposedly have a game a day or something like that in HD.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetsacuse;2387105]Do you have digital cable? If so you can just get the extra innings package. I had it for the second half last season and it was unreal. They even supposedly have a game a day or something like that in HD.[/QUOTE]

I do have digitial cable but I thought that Extra Innings was only available from Direct TV. If I could get that I'd just do that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dcJet;2386810]I did this last year. Connected my laptop using a VGA cable to my big screen. The results were very disappointing. Stretching the picture made it very grainy so I watched mostly on my laptop.

BTW, I had the upgraded MLB TV and the picture still sucked.[/QUOTE]

I had the upgraded MLB package last season also and was equally unimpressed. Don't get me wrong, if I were a Dodgers fan living out of market and it was the only way to watch the game then I would surely subscribe to it again, but overall the picture and streaming video quality were not what I was hoping for when I signed up.

Hope it works out for you. It would suck not to be able to watch your team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=iahawkeyejet;2387121]I do have digitial cable but I thought that Extra Innings was only available from Direct TV. If I could get that I'd just do that.[/QUOTE]

Yup, it should be available on your Comcast/Time Warner/whatever digital cable. They worked out a deal with the cable companies/In Demand right before the season when congress started intervening. It's probably not available to order yet but it should be in late March.