Thread: OT: Direct TV Video on Demand, Media Sharing

OT: Direct TV Video on Demand, Media Sharing

By accident I discovered that my HD DTV receiver is now capable to receive Video on Demand and it can play music and display pictures and videos off my laptop/PCs.

I turned to channel 1000 and the VOD page was there, I had my house wired CAT5 so I plugged a CAT5 cable into the back of the receiver and BAMM !! Video on Demand !!!

I turned my TV on before and their was a message saying that my laptop was logged off? So I browsed through the DTV menu and under "Music, Photos and more I discovered that I'm able to browse through Pics, Videos and Music from my PCs and laptop. Nice!!!

All Pro
    This is very interesting news. Do you have the hd box model h20 (model # located behind the door where you slide the credit card thingy), I believe that is there most current non DVR box.

This would make your computer capable of being DVR, if you have Vista.

All Pro
    I get the chanel not available when I punch in 1000.

[QUOTE=gunnails;2386098]This is very interesting news. Do you have the hd box model h20 (model # located behind the door where you slide the credit card thingy), I believe that is there most current non DVR box.

This would make your computer capable of being DVR, if you have Vista.[/QUOTE]

I actually have the HR20 which is the HD/DVR receiver. I didn't see where you can turn your PC into a DVR which would be very cool.
    re: Vista. Of the 4 PCs on my network only the 2 with Vista can share media. Well almost, the receiver see's both but so far I can only share media off 1.

BTW..this is in beta and i'm just reading that it's still buggy.

[QUOTE]To enjoy the DIRECTV on DEMAND service, you need:
    A DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR receiver (HR20 or HR21 model)
    Your receiver must be connected to the Internet
    HD Access and DVR service
    Broadband Internet service with a minimum connection speed of 750 Kbps or higher (DSL or cable)
    A network router with an available Ethernet port
    A land-based phone line connection
    An available wall outlet
    You can connect your receiver to the Internet in the following ways:
    Wired Connection: A direct connection between your broadband router and your DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR receiver via an Ethernet cable.
    Powerline Connection: Your home's existing power lines are used to connect your broadband router to your DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR receiver via a Powerline Ethernet Adapter(See "Get Connected").
    Wireless Connection: Your own wireless router and adapter are used to send data from your broadband router to your DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR receiver.[/QUOTE]

If my house is wireless do I still need to buy a router to hook into the back of my receiver, I also found this on accident the other day. So what is on the on-demand? Movies? Shows?

[QUOTE=Jet Addict SouthFL;2386121]If my house is wireless do I still need to buy a router to hook into the back of my receiver, I also found this on accident the other day. So what is on the on-demand? Movies? Shows?[/QUOTE]

If your house is wireless then you already have a router. You can either connect an Ethernet cable directly from the router to the receiver, use a ethernet/wireless adaptor or buy the powerline adaptor that they sell.

your telling me that alll I have to do is plug a ethernet cable from the receiver to the wireless router and it will work with nothing more to buy from Direct TV?

[QUOTE=Bleed Green;2386308]your telling me that alll I have to do is plug a ethernet cable from the receiver to the wireless router and it will work with nothing more to buy from Direct TV?[/QUOTE]

Yes. If you have a HR20 ro HR21 receiver with HD access and DVR service(why would you have those receivers without the service?).
    All you have to do is connect the receiver into the router and you're done.

Of course there is a charge for some on demand stuff but it's the same as the PPV.

All League
    Does the On Demand stuff take up DVR space?

[QUOTE=Wolfe Jet;2386729]Does the On Demand stuff take up DVR space?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's exactly how it works. It downloads the movie to the DVR. It does give it an expiration date though. I'm not sure if it gets deleted after it expires or it just becomes unavailable.