Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slim Chance At McFadden Now. Combine Results.

All League

Slim Chance At McFadden Now. Combine Results.

There were rumors that McFadden was not going to most of the work out at the combine. But now a number draft boards had McFadden falling to number 6 to us. Im guess he saw that his stock fell a tiny bit and he decided and was told to work out. It was hit or miss for him on the 40 yard dash. If he messed up and had a slower time it was almost certain he would fall to us at 6 not he hit the dash dead on running a 4.33 (official time), faster than Adrian Peterson. The only team that I could 100% see not taking McFadden in the top 5 is St.Louis, other than that its anyones guess.

Combine results: [url]http://www.fflivewire.com/players/PlayersCombine.asp[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    The issue of McFadden falling or not was never due to straightline speed. people just had concerns about his character and his lower frame. The 40 didn't change any of that.

And for the record, I think McFadden is the top RB in the draft...

All League
    [QUOTE=Jets Voice of Reason;2386454]The issue of McFadden falling or not was never due to straightline speed. people just had concerns about his character and his lower frame. The 40 didn't change any of that.

And for the record, I think McFadden is the top RB in the draft...[/QUOTE]

Your right it wasn't because of straightline speed but if there was any concerns a 4.33 forty helps ease your mind a little. If he goes out and runs a say 4.48 and with his character and frame issues there no doubt he falls a little. With a 4.33 it should help him stay in the top 5.

Veteran
    we could use jake long more anyway.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Taskmaster00;2386459]we could use jake long more anyway.[/QUOTE]

Until we need to resign D'Brick, Mangold and Long all within 1 year of each other. We can't use the #6 on the O-line....we're talking about getting a RT and an OG. We should be able to accomplish that at #37 (Round 2) or Round 3 plus landing one solid veteran in FA.

D'Brick
    Faneca
    Mangold
    Moore
    Jeff Otah/Carl Nicks

That might not be a bad O-line for 2008....it is certainly much better than we had last year.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Taskmaster00;2386459]we could use jake long more anyway.[/QUOTE]

If Jake Long falls to us we should snap him up, as Mayock says he will be a great pro RT.

It will be typical Jets if we draft a RB at #6. I guess there are no Tight Ends available this year, eh?

Our foundation for winning (O and D Lines) is as weak and pathetic as can be found in this league. If RB if BAP, trade the pick and take what we need, line help.

Banned
    [QUOTE=AG;2386451]There were rumors that McFadden was not going to most of the work out at the combine. But now a number draft boards had McFadden falling to number 6 to us. Im guess he saw that his stock fell a tiny bit and he decided and was told to work out. It was hit or miss for him on the 40 yard dash. If he messed up and had a slower time it was almost certain he would fall to us at 6 not he hit the dash dead on running a 4.33 (official time), faster than Adrian Peterson. The only team that I could 100% see not taking McFadden in the top 5 is St.Louis, other than that its anyones guess.

[/QUOTE]

What happened the last time the Jets took a "work-out warrior" based on combine results?

They wasted two 1st's and a 4th for a bust.

Combine results mean absolutely nothing.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2386497]What happened the last time the Jets took a "work-out warrior" based on combine results?

Combine results mean absolutely nothing.[/QUOTE]

:zzz::zzz::zzz:

Yeah, I'm not blown away by 40 times anymore. McFadden fumbles too much, which is a concern (I think he had something like 23 fumbles in his college career). 40 times do not measure player awareness, FIELD SPEED, ball skills and HEART (ex. Emmitt Smith). Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't draft a RB with cement shoes! But there are other factors to consider. I mean, how much did Miami Dolphins WR Ted Ginn, Jr contribute? LMAO, what a waste of a pick for the Phins' last year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

4.33 and 4.48 are virtually the same thing when you are running into a wall of your own linemen.

RB speed is not our most pressing problem.

Why don't we ask go ask Detroit if having an extremely talented running back trumps great trench guys (which we DONT HAVE)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2386497]What happened the last time the Jets took a "work-out warrior" based on combine results?

Well, I wouldn't say the results mean nothing in every case but the Combine definitely gets overrated. I mean people start players by how they look bench pressing in a 30 second span and by some track and field numbers. Now the real interesting thing that actually tells you much more about these kids is the interview process where you don't get to see a lot if anything. Now, it's great to see all the prospects out there and some numbers tell quite a bit but in general we should relax a little about the whole Combine thing...

[QUOTE=Gagoots;2386521]Why don't we ask go ask Detroit if having an extremely talented running back trumps great trench guys (which we DONT HAVE)[/QUOTE]

Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover would not approve of this post.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Warfish;2386494]It will be typical Jets if we draft a RB at #6. I guess there are no Tight Ends available this year, eh?

Our foundation for winning (O and D Lines) is as weak and pathetic as can be found in this league. If RB if BAP, trade the pick and take what we need, line help.[/QUOTE]

Would you feel that way if we got Faneca (or some other highly touted Olineman in FA) and drafted Rubin and a Tackle with the next 2 picks?

I don't want to discount strength in the lines....I agree that is the foundation, but so are playmakers.

[QUOTE=Flaming Mo;2386575]Well, I wouldn't say the results mean nothing in every case but the Combine definitely gets overrated. I mean people start players by how they look bench pressing in a 30 second span and by some track and field numbers. Now the real interesting thing that actually tells you much more about these kids is the interview process where you don't get to see a lot if anything. Now, it's great to see all the prospects out there and some numbers tell quite a bit but in general we should relax a little about the whole Combine thing...[/QUOTE]

I think the Combine is a useful tool in that it shows guys who are taking the whole process seriously and preparing like a professional.

When a player shows up fat and out of shape, runs or lifts below expected, that's a cause of concern for me. This is a job interview. And guys who can't be bothered to take it seriously, how are they going to act after they get a multi-million dollar paycheck ? Guys like Jake Long, Mendenhall, Chris Long show up in great shape and put up fantastic numbers. You can count on these guys to stay in shape and treat the NFL like a career. Other guys like Clady are sloppy and are benching far less than average for his position. That tells me Clady's comittment is not there and he's going to treat the NFL like winning the lottery.

So I think there's more to interpreting the Combine numbers than just raw performance.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;2386601]I think the Combine is a useful tool in that it shows guys who are taking the whole process seriously and preparing like a professional.

When a player shows up fat and out of shape, runs or lifts below expected, that's a cause of concern for me. This is a job interview. And guys who can't be bothered to take it seriously, how are they going to act after they get a multi-million dollar paycheck ? Guys like Jake Long, Mendenhall, Chris Long show up in great shape and put up fantastic numbers. You can count on these guys to stay in shape and treat the NFL like a career. Other guys like Clady are sloppy and are benching far less than average for his position. That tells me Clady's comittment is not there and he's going to treat the NFL like winning the lottery.

So I think there's more to interpreting the Combine numbers than just raw performance.[/QUOTE]

Good points. Yet that isn't always the case either. McFadden as the natural talent that he is can rack up a nasty 40 time yet still be a knucklehead and doesn't really fit the NFL style of running.

I just don't like the whole saying that if someone runs a great forty time that this is justifying any picks...

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Jets Voice of Reason;2386454]The issue of McFadden falling or not was never due to straightline speed. people just had concerns about his character and his lower frame. The 40 didn't change any of that.

And for the record, I think McFadden is the top RB in the draft...[/QUOTE]

Iv'e said it before and I'll say it again, Mendenhall will be the best RB in this draft, trade down or go defense at 6.

That's why AP tore through the combine before he tore through the league last year, huh?

There's a weight to held on combine numbers...

Does it mean everything? No
    Does it mean something? Yes!!!

[QUOTE=zonajetfan;2386648]Iv'e said it before and I'll say it again, Mendenhall will be the best RB in this draft, trade down or go defense at 6.[/QUOTE]

That's cool. You are wrong, but it's still cool.

Nothing against Mendenhall, he will be a good player, but McFadden is THE best RB prospect in this years draft and possibly a better prospect than AP was last year. I couldn't be happier that his stock is falling right now since he'd look incredible in green and white.