Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slim Chance At McFadden Now. Combine Results.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bongo59;2387600]it does not.........but what does matter is the first ten yds.........every team looks at the 10 and twenty splits with DE DT and LB...........that is what makes you elite...........with OLB they also look at their cone drills too tell them about how fast out of breaks they are...........Gholtson kille dthose too and Groves ran his cone this spring and it was like he was a running back being below 6.5............it was jaw dropping..............CLong had a decent cone score but he is not close to the other two...........

I'll give you another point..........3 cones are big for the WR too..........Remember Boldin ran a 4.78 and he still went in two to AZ and everyone said they were nuts..............well he had the third best 3 cone time and it told them he was outstanding out of breaks.............guess who posted the third best 3 cone for WR this yr.............Earl Bennett and his 4.51 forty............i bet he goes much higher now than anyone expects. You can have a guy a run 4.3 time but a 4.5 guy can be the better player because long speed is rarely used in a football game............everything is out of breaks.[/QUOTE]

What numbers did you have?

Chris Long has a better 3 cone then Gholston, and Gholstons number doesnt look too special at all

[url]http://fflivewire.com/players/PlayersCombine.asp?OrderBy=+ORDER+BY+LastNAme%2C+FirstName%2C+PosNameShort%2C+Team&PlayerName=&pTeamID=99999999&PosNum=8[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AG;2386451]There were rumors that McFadden was not going to most of the work out at the combine. But now a number draft boards had McFadden falling to number 6 to us. Im guess he saw that his stock fell a tiny bit and he decided and was told to work out. It was hit or miss for him on the 40 yard dash. If he messed up and had a slower time it was almost certain he would fall to us at 6 not he hit the dash dead on running a 4.33 (official time), faster than Adrian Peterson. The only team that I could 100% see not taking McFadden in the top 5 is St.Louis, other than that its anyones guess.

Combine results: [url]http://www.fflivewire.com/players/PlayersCombine.asp[/url][/QUOTE]

Good. Never wanted him in the 1st place!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bongo59;2387600]it does not.........but what does matter is the first ten yds.........every team looks at the 10 and twenty splits with DE DT and LB...........that is what makes you elite...........with OLB they also look at their cone drills too tell them about how fast out of breaks they are...........Gholtson kille dthose too and Groves ran his cone this spring and it was like he was a running back being below 6.5............it was jaw dropping..............CLong had a decent cone score but he is not close to the other two...........[/QUOTE]

according to NFL.com

3-cone results

chris Long 7.02
    vernon gholston 7.12

groves running a 6.5 or below is impossible, the fastest WR time was 6.57

also chris long had the fastest 20 yard shuttle, 4.21. harvey
    was 4.3 and gholston was 4.4.

looks like gholston and long had equally great workouts.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2387614]according to NFL.com

3-cone results

chris Long 7.02
    vernon gholston 7.12

groves running a 6.5 or below is impossible, the fastest WR time was 6.57

also chris long had the fastest 20 yard shuttle, 4.21. harvey
    was 4.3 and gholston was 4.4.

looks like gholston and long had equally great workouts.[/QUOTE]

Can someone put that into historical perspective ? What did Ware do ? How about juiced up Merriman ? Other stud OLB ?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Groves has a 6.57 3 cone at AU on July 13 2007..............

Gholston had a 6.99 3 cone according to 4 scouts..............i have no idea about the official numbers because I had already left................

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bongo59;2387600]it does not.........but what does matter is the first ten yds.........every team looks at the 10 and twenty splits with DE DT and LB...........that is what makes you elite...........with OLB they also look at their cone drills too tell them about how fast out of breaks they are...........Gholtson kille dthose too and Groves ran his cone this spring and it was like he was a running back being below 6.5............it was jaw dropping..............CLong had a decent cone score but he is not close to the other two...........

I'll give you another point..........3 cones are big for the WR too..........Remember Boldin ran a 4.78 and he still went in two to AZ and everyone said they were nuts..............well he had the third best 3 cone time and it told them he was outstanding out of breaks.............guess who posted the third best 3 cone for WR this yr.............Earl Bennett and his 4.51 forty............i bet he goes much higher now than anyone expects. You can have a guy a run 4.3 time but a 4.5 guy can be the better player because long speed is rarely used in a football game............everything is out of breaks.[/QUOTE]

there's a lot of truth to that regarding Bennett - is a very good football player. Reminds me of Cotchery.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;2386705]In the right system (good OL, spread passing game) McFadden will be an absolute beast. He'll put up Adrian Peterson like numbers his first year.

Behind the Jets sieve-like OL, McFadden would look bad. He'd be getting hit behind the line of scrimmage every play. Who can run well like that ? And with all of that contact, his likelihood of injury would go way up.

On the Jets McFadden would be a bust.[/QUOTE]

I understand that, but:

A) The Jets easily can improve their O-Line THIS offseason. Signing Faneca or Bell and drafting Cherilus in the 2nd would instantly make it better by a LOT. Let's not forget both D'Brick and Mangold are officially "veterans" and should start to really become great offensive lineman(anyone who trashes Brick really hasn't focused on him while watching the games last year. I think overall he had a very good year. Getting help at LG should make him even better.)

B) Even if the O-Line isn't improved, McFadden isn't being drafted here to play for one season. He will be a Jet for a long time. If he doesn't put up any numbers this year doesn't mean he can't put up incredible numbers for the 6 or 7 years after that.

So basically, even if I was guaranteed McFadden would suck year one due to a bad offensive line, I would still draft him. He will be a tremendous player in this league and he'll be something we don't have: a FRANCHISE player.