Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vilma Update: He's given permisson to seek a trade to everyone except: (merged)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=John_0515;2387024]If Vilma goes to a team with good DTs that will free him up, he'll be effective like he was 2 years ago. JMO. I don't see Detroit getting rid of Rodgers if they get Vilma, they need Rodgers to help free Vilma up.

Vilma is undersized, but he's a tackling machine when he has help (as shown from our 4-3/cover 2 defense when Herm was here). When we had Jason Ferguson and D-Rob in the middle, and J-Abe and Ellis on the ends, Vilma was very effective. A defense such as this is what he should be looking for.
    [/QUOTE]

If Vilma is that good how good is Harris that needs none of that to excel? Plus 5 sacks in 1/2 of a season compared to Vilma's 2 1/2 sacks since 04 2 of which were in the 4-3..For some fan favorites the excuses never stop..

All Pro
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2386996]But they got there... right?[/QUOTE]

They certainly did 18-1*

[QUOTE=Savage69;2387040]If Vilma is that good how good is Harris that needs none of that to excel? Plus 5 sacks in 1/2 of a season compared to Vilma's 2 1/2 sacks since 04 2 of which were in the 4-3..For some fan favorites the excuses never stop..[/QUOTE]

Harris is a different type of linebacker. Some guys aren't suited for certain schemes. I like Vilma as much as anyone, but whether it's due to the defense, or coaching or whatever, his productivity isn't there. Harris performed well in this defense, much better than Vilma has. We'll see this year if he keeps it up.

Hopefully we get something half decent for him.

A straight swap for Rogers would be a steal and IMO unlikely to happen. I was never that big a fan of Vilma. He was good (not great) in the 4-3 and absolutely atrocious in the 3-4. I'm gald he won't be here next season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=John_0515;2387050]Harris is a different type of linebacker. Some guys aren't suited for certain schemes. I like Vilma as much as anyone, but whether it's due to the defense, or coaching or whatever, his productivity isn't there. Harris performed well in this defense, much better than Vilma has. We'll see this year if he keeps it up.[/QUOTE]

You pick any system and I think Harris would be better then Vilma..While I think Vilma is a good player I don't think he's the Super Star some fans make him out to be..

[QUOTE=Savage69;2387040]If Vilma is that good how good is Harris that needs none of that to excel? Plus 5 sacks in 1/2 of a season compared to Vilma's 2 1/2 sacks since 04 2 of which were in the 4-3..For some fan favorites the excuses never stop..[/QUOTE]

:yes:

I was more impressed with Harris in his 8 starts than I've ever been with Vilma. Harris is a big impact player who made plays, Vilma was not.

[QUOTE=Jtracey10;2387054]Hopefully we get something half decent for him.

A straight swap for Rogers would be a steal and IMO unlikely to happen. I was never that big a fan of Vilma. He was good (not great) in the 4-3 and absolutely atrocious in the 3-4. I'm gald he won't be here next season.[/QUOTE]

wasn't he a Pro Bowler in the 4-3?

[QUOTE=Savage69;2387060]You pick any system and I think Harris would be better then Vilma..While I think Vilma is a good player I don't think he's the Super Star some fans make him out to be..[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%

Vilma was never that good. His size was always going to cause him problems, he's very good going from sideline to sideline but that's it. Who knows, after his surgery he may not have that great speed anymore. Which would basically mean he'd have nothing.

[QUOTE=Jtracey10;2387061]:yes:

I was more impressed with Harris in his 8 starts than I've ever been with Vilma. Harris is a big impact player who made plays, Vilma was not.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...even when Vils was running around tackling everyone..I wan't that impressed, don't know why.

[QUOTE=jetlifer;2387066]wasn't he a Pro Bowler in the 4-3?[/QUOTE]

Alternate.

Tackles mean nothing unless they're up or around the LOS, most of them came when the damage had been done.

[QUOTE=Jtracey10;2387073]Alternate.

Tackles mean nothing unless they're up or around the LOS, most of them came when the damage had been done.[/QUOTE]

good point :yes:

Banned
    [QUOTE=jetlifer;2387066]wasn't he a Pro Bowler in the 4-3?[/QUOTE]

He was an alternate.

The only reason why he made it was because Zach Thomas was hurt.

[QUOTE=Jtracey10;2387073]Alternate.

Tackles mean nothing unless they're up or around the LOS, most of them came when the damage had been done.[/QUOTE]

I thought that in 2004, we did a decent job of stopping the run, compared to the rest of the decade. Vilma had a lot of impact plays that year, but I think it was a result of a good supporting cast and a scheme that suited him (it seems like it anyway).

[QUOTE=John_0515;2387083]I thought that in 2004, we did a decent job of stopping the run, compared to the rest of the decade. Vilma had a lot of impact plays that year, but I think it was a result of a good supporting cast and a scheme that suited him (it seems like it anyway).[/QUOTE]

He had Jason Feguson (our most underated player at that time) filling up space, it made it easy for both him and Robertson.

I agree though that the most impressive he ever was, was indeed his rokkie year but did you ever think that may have been because he was an unknown at that level. NFL teams can adjust to a players flaws very quickly and that may have been why he's never been the same since.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2387029]In case you missed it, the Pats play a 3-4 defense.

Vilma sucks in the 3-4.[/QUOTE]

And yet the *Pats* offered Zach Thomas a contract???

[QUOTE=Jordy;2387100]And yet the *Pats* offered Zach Thomas a contract???[/QUOTE]

Zach Thomas was nowhere near as bad as Vilma in the 3-4, he's always played bigger than he actually is.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2387034]The Pats have done that 3 times this decade. :yes:

What's your friggn' point?[/QUOTE]

* doesn't count.

[QUOTE=Jtracey10;2387095]He had Jason Feguson (our most underated player at that time) filling up space, it made it easy for both him and Robertson.

I agree though that the most impressive he ever was, was indeed his rokkie year but did you ever think that may have been because he was an unknown at that level. NFL teams can adjust to a players flaws very quickly and that may have been why he's never been the same since.[/QUOTE]

I mentioned Ferguson in a earlier post as well. I'm glad other people recognized how big of a loss he was. Robertson is a 1-gap DT, NOT what you want in a 3-4. Ferguson would have been better suited to play in our 3-4.

I don't know what the problem is with Vilma now, I'm speculating and giving my opinion like everyone else here, but he's clearly not effective as he was a few years ago. If we can get something out of him, I'd rather trade him, wish him well to succeed where he goes (except against us, of course), and get a decent player in return. But who's to say that the same thing won't happen to Harris?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2386512]Why would the Pats even want that loser?[/QUOTE]

:zzz::zzz::zzz:

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2386935]Tough to hold on to the QB when you are always on your ass 7 yards downfield.[/QUOTE]

Not as hard as it is to break up a pass with your hands between a receivers arms, but yeah, I guess I see your point.