Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intersting rumors, some concerns Jets

Tangini is starting to put their stamp on the team if they jettison Drob, Vilma, McCariens, etc. and bring in their type of players.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;2387349]Is it possible that Tangini feels that Mosely, pouha, draft pick will be no drop off?[/QUOTE]

Sure it's possible and it would be a strong indication if the Jets trade Robertson prior to acquiring anyone else. But, I for one am not comfortable going into the Draft with major needs at OG, OT, NT, OLB and lesser needs at other positions like WR or CB. Robertson may not be great but he's a good body that plays a lot of snaps for us.

The problem with Robertson is that he's average and he's overpaid. If there is perceived value by a 4-3 team then we have to move him but doesn't his contract situation make that difficult?

Jets Insider VIP
    Let's just think about this realistically.

Most of the quality OL talent has already been franchised or re-signed (Gross, Andrews, Lilja, Wahl, etc).

Now one thing is for sure, we absolutely HAVE to upgrade the O-line this offseason. We can't expect to plug in a bunch of trash or project rookies and walk away with upstanding results. So why not sign a 5 time pro-bowler to upgrade the biggest weakness on your team?

What other quality guards are there in free agency? Jacob Bell is a young guy with potential but he's very overrated around here. Same goes for Smiley and he's coming off a season ending injury. The only OG prospect in the draft that could make a difference from day one is Branden Albert and he's likely going in round 1.

Faneca is the only guy I'm willing to throw the big bucks at. Samuel is a great player, but we don't need two star CB's on this team. Just get a solid #2 guy to play opposite Revis who by all accounts is going to be a great player.

The trenches are a whole nother matter. I don't mind investing big money here because it's a glaring weakness.

I hope Faneca is better than that other Pitt cast-off we got

[SIZE="4"]KIMO[/SIZE]

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    If true, these two items should interest the Jets:

The only knock on Jake Long is that he may be a better right tackle than a left tackle. Both Longs are high character, no-nonsense young men.

It also sounds like Holmgren will be coaching somewhere next season, or at least hoping to land a job like the one Parcells has in Miami.

[QUOTE=Nick Blitz;2387259]I'll drive the truck myself:yes:[/QUOTE]

I'll pay for gas, food and lodging on the drive there.

He is my #1 choice this offseason.

All Pro
    i have a big question

why would the patriots be intrested in vilma?

why would vilma be able to play in NE 3-4? and not ours?

why cant we just make a 3-4 hybrid so VILMA can be the superstar he is?

All Pro

for the mcfadden lovers

not only does he fumble alot,
    doesnt have strong leggs to break tackles
    or can catch the ball well in traffic...

but..

McFadden faces two paternity suits
    Posted: Monday February 25, 2008 05:48AM ET
    Darren McFadden created a major buzz at the NFL scouting combine when he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.27 seconds on Sunday. That's also where news got out that McFadden is not only battling a paternity suit, but that he told a team during an interview Saturday night that he has two children on the way. In addition to meeting with the Falcons, he met with the Raiders, who pick fourth in the draft, and several other teams

[QUOTE=NE_PATS_FAN_54;2387332]real interesting stuff[/QUOTE]

Particularly the part about Dom Capers coaching NE this year - lol

[QUOTE=BleedingGreen;2387272]Perhaps helping offset some of McFadden’s character concerns is the unofficial 4.27 time he posted in the 40-yard dash at the Combine.[/QUOTE]

gee dan, ya think

this whole article strikes me as being written 95% done before the DMC run

if dMC drops out of the top 10 it's a league gone mad i tell ya

[QUOTE=Untouchable;2387303]Truck?

I'll strap the cash to my friggin' back and walk it to Faneca's house.

[B]SIGN FANECA!![/B][/QUOTE]

#1 off-season priority

[QUOTE=Mikey Z 6;2387430]not only does he fumble alot,

but..

Darren McFadden created a major buzz at the NFL scouting combine when he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.27 seconds on Sunday. That's also where news got out that McFadden is not only battling a paternity suit, but that he told a team during an interview Saturday night that he has two children on the way. In addition to meeting with the Falcons, he met with the Raiders, who pick fourth in the draft, and several other teams[/QUOTE]

:zzz::zzz::zzz:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2387377]Sure it's possible and it would be a strong indication if the Jets trade Robertson prior to acquiring anyone else. But, I for one am not comfortable going into the Draft with major needs at OG, OT, NT, OLB and lesser needs at other positions like WR or CB. Robertson may not be great but he's a good body that plays a lot of snaps for us.

The problem with Robertson is that he's average and he's overpaid. If there is perceived value by a 4-3 team then we have to move him but doesn't his contract situation make that difficult?[/QUOTE]

I hear you, and agree with alot of what you say. I actually am not in a hurry to move drob, and think he's a decent player. To me his draft slot and salary are non-issues (unless we were tight against the cap). If we can get good value, we have to strngly consider it though. be interesting to find out if we're players in the S. Rogers situation

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Mikey Z 6;2387430]not only does he fumble alot,

but..

Darren McFadden created a major buzz at the NFL scouting combine when he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.27 seconds on Sunday. That's also where news got out that [B]McFadden is not only battling a paternity suit, but that he told a team during an interview Saturday night that he has two children on the way[/B]. In addition to meeting with the Falcons, he met with the Raiders, who pick fourth in the draft, and several other teams[/QUOTE]

Sweet! We should sign those little beasts! :yes:

I heard one will be able to crawl 7.15 in the 40 but the other fumbles in his diaper a lot!

Veteran
    [QUOTE=DBarrett=all<3;2387310]Does anyone else think we should go with a Sedrick Ellis-type at NT before we draft these "hybrid" DE/OLBs? We have serious issues stopping the run at the point of attack and I don't think Pouha is a long-term solution.[/QUOTE]

I would love Sedrick Ellis. Watching him at the combine he is very wide, and strong.

i think the jets best plan, short of trading down for more picks is to pick the best available athelete at 6. my reasoning is that with the 6th pick the jets would be guaranteed of selecting the best available player at any particular position except for those taken 1-5. for instance, if there are 2 dt's, 1-qb, 1 rb and 1 ot taken with 1-5 then the jets would still be capable of drafting the best cb, safety, lb, de, og, te, center etc. maybe some of those positions should be taken with that high of a pick but the jets should still be getting a pretty good player. if they draft according to need, then there is a good chance the best player at the needed position was already taken so the jets would have to settle for second tier.

but really, the best upgrade may have already been done with bringing in callahan and losing wise.
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;2387393]Let's just think about this realistically.

Most of the quality OL talent has already been franchised or re-signed (Gross, Andrews, Lilja, Wahl, etc).

Now one thing is for sure, we absolutely HAVE to upgrade the O-line this offseason. We can't expect to plug in a bunch of trash or project rookies and walk away with upstanding results. So why not sign a 5 time pro-bowler to upgrade the biggest weakness on your team?

What other quality guards are there in free agency? Jacob Bell is a young guy with potential but he's very overrated around here. Same goes for Smiley and he's coming off a season ending injury. The only OG prospect in the draft that could make a difference from day one is Branden Albert and he's likely going in round 1.

Faneca is the only guy I'm willing to throw the big bucks at. Samuel is a great player, but we don't need two star CB's on this team. Just get a solid #2 guy to play opposite Revis who by all accounts is going to be a great player.

The trenches are a whole nother matter. I don't mind investing big money here because it's a glaring weakness.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=raysdaone;2387563]I would love Sedrick Ellis. Watching him at the combine he is very wide, and strong.[/QUOTE]

He was an absolute beast who was unblockable at the senior bowl abusing OLinmen like Ray Ray and RG do to Tx*. The scouts have their work cut out for them guaging whether he can play the nose but if so, he's my pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;2387592]but really, the best upgrade may have already been done with bringing in callahan and losing wise.[/QUOTE]

Unless Callahan is Dr. Victor Frankenstein, there is nothing he can do to turn Adrien Clarke into a decent starting LG.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

The Faneca news is great to read - we could actually run the ball and operate the offense with him on board. Need a RT too obviously but Faneca would fix a lot of our problems. Pull the trigger Tannenbaum!