Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gholston #1?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Flaming Mo;2387627]Isn't that exactly what Merriman does?! Just saying, we need that kind of playmaker.[/QUOTE]

Difference in my opinion is Merriman is willing and capable of shedding blocks and helping out vs the run. I don't believe Groves will be able to control a gap and shed blocks very well. This is an attribute and an attitude that will take a lot of coaching to change.

[QUOTE=genom;2387856]Difference in my opinion is Merriman is willing and capable of shedding blocks and helping out vs the run. I don't believe Groves will be able to control a gap and shed blocks very well. This is an attribute and an attitude that will take a lot of coaching to change.[/QUOTE]

i dont even think merriman is that concerned about runners...

that is basically how the pats always beat them. run right by merriman...

that is why chris long rocks..

[QUOTE=genom;2387856]Difference in my opinion is Merriman is willing and capable of shedding blocks and helping out vs the run. I don't believe Groves will be able to control a gap and shed blocks very well. This is an attribute and an attitude that will take a lot of coaching to change.[/QUOTE]

you need to watch SEC football more closely...........AU is great against the run...........look at how Dmac faired against AU

i was wrong about super mario is gholston super?

#1 pick has to look at Ohio State's schedule and figure out who exactly he got every sack in 3 years against... every tackle on film who gave up a sack to Vernon Gholston - take that list and compare to Long and Harvey's - I don't think it a better list...

- mario williams went 1 at darn near 300 pounds gholston gonna do it at 270? the NFL GMs know something I don't and God bless the pick. I was wrong about Mario Williams employing similar logic... he was a size/speed freak but not a great football player. The pros tend to think they can coach raw athletes up and maybe they can.

that being said if vernon gholston goes from a 2nd round projection from the committee all the way up to #1 that's only good news for the NYJ, pushes another top prospect down the board to 6

things are getting very interesting at this pick, someone is gonna fall...
    Last edited by bitonti; 02-25-2008 at 06:17 PM.

mario williams sacks came in bunches against no names too at NC St........infact Lawson looked better against better competition

check this video link out on groves this past yr.....as a 4-3 DE

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV24Df50h5I[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=bitonti;2387887]

that being said if vernon gholston goes from a [B]2nd round projection from the committee[/B] all the way up to #1 that's only good news for the NYJ, pushes another top prospect down the board to 6

things are getting very interesting at this pick, someone is gonna fall...[/QUOTE]

You've made that reference a number of times and Im just wondering where you got it from. I know Gholston made some vague reference to being considered a 2nd rounder, but to me, it wasn't clear if it was pre-season consensus ranking or if it was actually from the Committee.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=crasherino;2387911]You've made that reference a number of times and Im just wondering where you got it from. I know Gholston made some vague reference to being considered a 2nd rounder, but to me, it wasn't clear if it was pre-season consensus ranking or if it was actually from the Committee.[/QUOTE]

The NFL draft advisory committee gave Gholston a 2nd round projection.

I would love to get Groves but is he one of those guys too high at 6, gone by 2.6?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Jets Voice of Reason;2387914]The NFL draft advisory committee gave Gholston a 2nd round projection.[/QUOTE]

My question is where was that written? The only quote I have ever seen about that is this statement when Gholston declared:

"It's time to take care of my family. It's time to let my teammates shine," Gholston said. "[B]They say I'm a second-rounder[/B]. But what I bring is versatility. At 265 pounds I can add or lose weight. I can be a rush end and a linebacker. One thing I've never had a problem doing is beating blockers.

I have no idea if he is talking about the Draft Advisory Committee, some doubters he has, or some other unknown entity.

I simply cannot fathom the Draft Advisory Committee saying that he is a second rounder (whether or not you think he's overrated).

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=crasherino;2387921]My question is where was that written? The only quote I have ever seen about that is this statement when Gholston declared:

"It's time to take care of my family. It's time to let my teammates shine," Gholston said. "[B]They say I'm a second-rounder[/B]. But what I bring is versatility. At 265 pounds I can add or lose weight. I can be a rush end and a linebacker. One thing I've never had a problem doing is beating blockers.

I have no idea if he is talking about the Draft Advisory Committee, some doubters he has, or some other unknown entity.

I simply cannot fathom the Draft Advisory Committee saying that he is a second rounder (whether or not you think he's overrated).[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.draftdaddy.com/nfldraft/declaredJuniors.cfm[/url]

[url]http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/declared.html[/url]

Bit and riggins do the draftdaddy site so they could tell you what source they got it from. (in my experience stuff like this they put up has been pretty reliable)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=HessStation;2387915]I would love to get Groves but is he one of those guys too high at 6, gone by 2.6?[/QUOTE]

Seems like it, yet this whole projection thing and big name or not, in the end all that matters is that you get a great player. If he was a 7th round projection or a top three projection, doesn't matter. If the Jets draft Groves at number 6, I would have no problem with that...

Veteran
    [QUOTE=bongo59;2387869]you need to watch SEC football more closely...........AU is great against the run...........look at how Dmac faired against AU[/QUOTE]

You need to get your facts straight, Groves was injured and did not play a down during that game. Rather, Antonio Coleman (Groves' replacement) played and thus the run defense got significantly better......