Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gholston #1?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Gholston #1?

Dolphins are currently considering Vernon Gholston, Chris Long, Sedrick Ellis and Matt Ryan, per PFT.

Honestly, Gholston, if he indeed is motivated has the potential be the biggest impact player in this draft. If 2005 could be done all over again, Shawne Merriman would go #1.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What about Jake Long ? He'd be a cornerstone for their OL which could use the help.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;2387395]What about Jake Long ? He'd be a cornerstone for their OL which could use the help.[/QUOTE]

Parcells traded out of a chance to draft Pace. He might look at that as huge mistake or he might be satisfied with that move, I don't know.

But it raised the question as to whether he values OT's so high in the draft.

And with scouts saying Jake Long might not be the best suited for LT, I understand not having him in the mix for the 1st overall.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the Phins are targeting four different players at #1 overall?

Well that clears things up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MachineGunFunk;2387402]Parcells traded out of a chance to draft Pace. He might look at that as huge mistake or he might be satisfied with that move, I don't know.

But it raised the question as to whether he values OT's so high in the draft.

And with scouts saying Jake Long might not be the best suited for LT, I understand not having him in the mix for the 1st overall.[/QUOTE]

True - I think Jake Long's real NFL position is RT. His performance against speed rushers (Gholston) is suspect. And he'll see a lot more of them when he becomes a pro.

RT would be perfect for the Jets but bad for Miami. So I see your point.

Jake probably goes to St. Louis or KC.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find this particular draft so interesting in the fact that every day the deck gets shuffled again and new #1 pick emerges. I think we are sitting at a good spot at six for a trade down. A player is going to fall and another team will want to trade up. We have to take that opportunity to build our team through the draft...........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gholston at #1 would be a horrible pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;2387447]I find this particular draft so interesting in the fact that every day the deck gets shuffled again and new #1 pick emerges. I think we are sitting at a good spot at six for a trade down. A player is going to fall and another team will want to trade up. We have to take that opportunity to build our team through the draft...........[/QUOTE]

If both Long's are gone and one of the DT's drop, we could some serious offers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    if gholston doesn't bother to try for the BCS championship game how does that get him to #1?

by the way running 4.6 at 270 is nice and all but's not like Mario Williams running 4.75 at 300. Gholston, Harvey and Long are about equal JMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B][QUOTE=bitonti;2387461]if gholston doesn't bother to try for the BCS championship game how does that get him to #1? [/B]
    by the way running 4.6 at 270 is nice and all but's not like Mario Williams running 4.75 at 300. Gholston, Harvey and Long are about equal JMO.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2387461]if gholston doesn't bother to try for the BCS championship game how does that get him to #1?

by the way running 4.6 at 270 is nice and all but's not like Mario Williams running 4.75 at 300. Gholston, Harvey and Long are about equal JMO.[/QUOTE]

gholston isnt even 270......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2387461]if gholston doesn't bother to try for the BCS championship game how does that get him to #1?

by the way running 4.6 at 270 is nice and all but's not like Mario Williams running 4.75 at 300. [B]Gholston, Harvey and Long are about equal JMO.[/B][/QUOTE]

Two questions: Which one of those do you think is the best fit for the Jets? And which one of those do you think will be available at 6?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MachineGunFunk;2387467]Two questions: Which one of those do you think is the best fit for the Jets? And which one of those do you think will be available at 6?[/QUOTE]

let me dodge the question and say when the season ended Jets fans reacted badly to picking 6, wanting to pick higher... now it looks like there are flaws with ALL of the top players, 6 might end up being a 'value' place to pickup a faller

Gholston: tweener dE with effort concerns
    DMC: character off field concerns
    C Long: tweener DE with athletic concerns
    J Long: OT with feet and balance concerns
    G dorsey: tibia problem?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2387477]let me dodge the question and say when the season ended Jets fans reacted badly to picking 6, wanting to pick higher... now it looks like there are flaws with ALL of the top players, 6 might end up being a 'value' place to pickup a faller

G dorsey: tibia problem?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response Bill...

[IMG]http://weblog.infoworld.com/zeroday/archives/images/Bill_Clinton.jpg[/IMG]

In all seriousness though, our pick does look better then it did just a couple of weeks ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MachineGunFunk;2387482]Thanks for the response Bill...
    [/QUOTE]

ok not dodging, Long is the best fit for the Jets. He's a beast.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2387477]let me dodge the question and say when the season ended Jets fans reacted badly to picking 6, wanting to pick higher... now it looks like there are flaws with ALL of the top players, 6 might end up being a 'value' place to pickup a faller

G dorsey: tibia problem?[/QUOTE]

I don't know about your take on it, but it looks to me like Chris Long is athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB. Gholston may have more explosive 1st step, may have more brute stronger, and may be slightly faster, but Chris Long is the more complete player.

And it's not like Chris Long has looked unathletic in my eyes. He's posting some real good numbers across the board.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So it seems Long has clearly demonstrated that he's athletic enough to play OLB in the NFL. And play at a high level. He may or may not be quite the athlete that Gholston or Groves is. But I think Long will apply himself 100% on every play, every game. And work hard in the off season to improve himself. That's the sure thing.

Groves and Gholston may or may not play that hard. Who knows. So there's (possibly) more upside but also more risk.

I'll be very curious to see where Parcells comes down on this debate. His pick will be the ultimate judge.
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 02-25-2008 at 02:48 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;2387495]
    I'll be very curious to see where Parcells comes down on this debate. His pick will be the ultimate judge.[/QUOTE]

at the end of the day i'd bet money on a trade down or a QB.

all this talk about DE is nice but they have Jason taylor and Matt Roth. they can't start JOhn beck and expect to compete.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no player in the top of this draft that is an ideal fit for the Jets. The defensive players are all either 4-3 guys or have questions until you get down to around 10 where Derrick Harvey and a few other guys start to look interesting. Offensively there is no QB that really warrants a top 6 pick and with three outstanding RBs I would HATE to be the team that picks the first one. I'd take any of DMC, Mendenhall or Stewart and a 2nd rounder over any of the others.

I will say this though...if Miami doesn't take Ryan, everyone is projecting them to take Flacco (or maybe Henne) at 2.1. If either of those guys are really that good, I wouldn't be opposed to moving up from 2.5, possibly to the Giants at 1.31 and stealing the player. I could see the Giants willing to trade down 5 slots there if the right players are on the board.

Then...please ESPN make sure you have a camera on Big Bill :)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycdan;2387542]There is no player in the top of this draft that is an ideal fit for the Jets. :)[/QUOTE]

I think there are potentially six:

Chris and Jake Long; Gholston; DMC; Mendenhall; Ryan.

I'd throw Brohm in there but not sure he's objectively considered a top 10 pick.