Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 52 of 52

Thread: Gholston #1?

  1. #41
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Isn't that exactly what Merriman does?! Just saying, we need that kind of playmaker.
    Difference in my opinion is Merriman is willing and capable of shedding blocks and helping out vs the run. I don't believe Groves will be able to control a gap and shed blocks very well. This is an attribute and an attitude that will take a lot of coaching to change.

  2. #42
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,953
    Quote Originally Posted by genom View Post
    Difference in my opinion is Merriman is willing and capable of shedding blocks and helping out vs the run. I don't believe Groves will be able to control a gap and shed blocks very well. This is an attribute and an attitude that will take a lot of coaching to change.
    i dont even think merriman is that concerned about runners...

    that is basically how the pats always beat them. run right by merriman...

    that is why chris long rocks..

  3. #43
    All League
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    3,674
    Quote Originally Posted by genom View Post
    Difference in my opinion is Merriman is willing and capable of shedding blocks and helping out vs the run. I don't believe Groves will be able to control a gap and shed blocks very well. This is an attribute and an attitude that will take a lot of coaching to change.
    you need to watch SEC football more closely...........AU is great against the run...........look at how Dmac faired against AU

  4. #44
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782

    i was wrong about super mario is gholston super?

    #1 pick has to look at Ohio State's schedule and figure out who exactly he got every sack in 3 years against... every tackle on film who gave up a sack to Vernon Gholston - take that list and compare to Long and Harvey's - I don't think it a better list...

    - mario williams went 1 at darn near 300 pounds gholston gonna do it at 270? the NFL GMs know something I don't and God bless the pick. I was wrong about Mario Williams employing similar logic... he was a size/speed freak but not a great football player. The pros tend to think they can coach raw athletes up and maybe they can.

    that being said if vernon gholston goes from a 2nd round projection from the committee all the way up to #1 that's only good news for the NYJ, pushes another top prospect down the board to 6

    things are getting very interesting at this pick, someone is gonna fall...
    Last edited by bitonti; 02-25-2008 at 06:17 PM.

  5. #45
    All League
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    3,674
    mario williams sacks came in bunches against no names too at NC St........infact Lawson looked better against better competition


    check this video link out on groves this past yr.....as a 4-3 DE

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV24Df50h5I

  6. #46
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,384
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

    that being said if vernon gholston goes from a 2nd round projection from the committee all the way up to #1 that's only good news for the NYJ, pushes another top prospect down the board to 6

    things are getting very interesting at this pick, someone is gonna fall...
    You've made that reference a number of times and Im just wondering where you got it from. I know Gholston made some vague reference to being considered a 2nd rounder, but to me, it wasn't clear if it was pre-season consensus ranking or if it was actually from the Committee.

  7. #47
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockland, New York
    Posts
    5,359
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    You've made that reference a number of times and Im just wondering where you got it from. I know Gholston made some vague reference to being considered a 2nd rounder, but to me, it wasn't clear if it was pre-season consensus ranking or if it was actually from the Committee.
    The NFL draft advisory committee gave Gholston a 2nd round projection.

  8. #48
    I would love to get Groves but is he one of those guys too high at 6, gone by 2.6?

  9. #49
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Voice of Reason View Post
    The NFL draft advisory committee gave Gholston a 2nd round projection.
    My question is where was that written? The only quote I have ever seen about that is this statement when Gholston declared:

    "It's time to take care of my family. It's time to let my teammates shine," Gholston said. "They say I'm a second-rounder. But what I bring is versatility. At 265 pounds I can add or lose weight. I can be a rush end and a linebacker. One thing I've never had a problem doing is beating blockers.

    I have no idea if he is talking about the Draft Advisory Committee, some doubters he has, or some other unknown entity.

    I simply cannot fathom the Draft Advisory Committee saying that he is a second rounder (whether or not you think he's overrated).

  10. #50
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rockland, New York
    Posts
    5,359
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    My question is where was that written? The only quote I have ever seen about that is this statement when Gholston declared:

    "It's time to take care of my family. It's time to let my teammates shine," Gholston said. "They say I'm a second-rounder. But what I bring is versatility. At 265 pounds I can add or lose weight. I can be a rush end and a linebacker. One thing I've never had a problem doing is beating blockers.

    I have no idea if he is talking about the Draft Advisory Committee, some doubters he has, or some other unknown entity.

    I simply cannot fathom the Draft Advisory Committee saying that he is a second rounder (whether or not you think he's overrated).
    http://www.draftdaddy.com/nfldraft/declaredJuniors.cfm

    http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/declared.html

    Bit and riggins do the draftdaddy site so they could tell you what source they got it from. (in my experience stuff like this they put up has been pretty reliable)

  11. #51
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    I would love to get Groves but is he one of those guys too high at 6, gone by 2.6?
    Seems like it, yet this whole projection thing and big name or not, in the end all that matters is that you get a great player. If he was a 7th round projection or a top three projection, doesn't matter. If the Jets draft Groves at number 6, I would have no problem with that...

  12. #52
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo59 View Post
    you need to watch SEC football more closely...........AU is great against the run...........look at how Dmac faired against AU
    You need to get your facts straight, Groves was injured and did not play a down during that game. Rather, Antonio Coleman (Groves' replacement) played and thus the run defense got significantly better......

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us