Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gholston #1?

brohm has fallen like a rock til late one or two............

The difference for a DE/OLB is found in the ten yd split..........Gholston and Groves are in the HOF range........now............Bruce Smith territory.......Freeney territory.

you dont find guys that big and strong with that kind of split...........there are about 5 guys in the history of the league with those numbers.

Jake Long is a good OT but he will get killed in the NFL as a LT...........he does not have the feet..he will be a great RT............

Groves will slip further than you think because he is a poor fit for a 3-4 but he fits a few 4-3 DE spots but none of them are drafting high.............

Matt Ryan is the only QB going at one..........I still think he is going to fall to 8

there maybe 4 RB in the top 13 right now.............

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=bitonti;2387477]let me dodge the question and say when the season ended [B]Jets fans reacted badly to picking 6[/B], wanting to pick higher... now it looks like there are flaws with ALL of the top players, [B]6 might end up being a 'value' place to pickup a faller[/B]

Gholston: tweener dE with effort concerns
    DMC: character off field concerns
    C Long: tweener DE with athletic concerns
    J Long: OT with feet and balance concerns
    G dorsey: tibia problem?[/QUOTE]

Hence the reason you don't root for your team to lose....the draft is just too speculative.

As long as a QB goes in the first 5, im as happy as a puppy with two peters.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bongo59;2387578]brohm has fallen like a rock til late one or two............

The difference for a DE/OLB is found in the ten yd split..........Gholston and Groves are in the HOF range........now............Bruce Smith territory.......Freeney territory.

you dont find guys that big and strong with that kind of split...........there are about 5 guys in the history of the league with those numbers.

[B]Jake Long is a good OT but he will get killed in the NFL as a LT...........he does not have the feet..he will be a great RT............[/B]

Groves will slip further than you think because he is a poor fit for a 3-4 but he fits a few 4-3 DE spots but none of them are drafting high.............

Matt Ryan is the only QB going at one..........I still think he is going to fall to 8

there maybe 4 RB in the top 13 right now.............[/QUOTE]

Will the Rams or Chiefs draft Jake Long with that knock on him? Since the Jets have a young LT and really need a RT, if he falls, is he a no-brainer or is that just too high for any RT?

look at my pre combine mock..........i still think it close to spot on............

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bongo59;2387578]brohm has fallen like a rock til late one or two............

Jake Long is a good OT but he will get killed in the NFL as a LT...........he does not have the feet..he will be a great RT............

Why don't you see Groves as a fit for the 3-4 OLB spot?!? He is big enough, great pass rusher and can move around...

[QUOTE=Flaming Mo;2387610]Why don't you see Groves as a fit for the 3-4 OLB spot?!? He is big enough, great pass rusher and can move around...[/QUOTE]

He'd certainly need lot's of coaching up because in the 2 or 3 games I saw this past year he looked good if he was rushing the QB. Anything else, he seemed to stand around alot as if he didn't what to do unless his ears were pinned back.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;2387617]He'd certainly need lot's of coaching up because in the 2 or 3 games I saw this past year he looked good if he was rushing the QB. Anything else, he seemed to stand around alot as if he didn't what to do unless his ears were pinned back.[/QUOTE]

I think Gholston is best used like a guided missle. Just point him at the backfield and fire.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;2387617]He'd certainly need lot's of coaching up because in the 2 or 3 games I saw this past year he looked good if he was rushing the QB. Anything else, he seemed to stand around alot as if he didn't what to do unless his ears were pinned back.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that exactly what Merriman does?! Just saying, we need that kind of playmaker.

All Pro

[/QUOTE]

I assume you meant Ryan is the only QB going in round one but maybe not. In any case, it sounds like Brohm, Henne and Flacco are all floating around the top of round 2 with Woodson dropping to 5th QB taken.

Which of those three guys, if any stands out from the others and could warrant a late first-round pick.

What I'm thinking is that if the Giants don't have laser-vision for one guy at 1.31, they might be good candidates to trade down a few spots. Now if the Jets do pull of the Dallas trade it's a moot point, but if not, is there a QB worth sliding up from 2.36 to 1.31 (ahead of Miami) for?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;2387620]I think Gholston is best used like a guided missle. Just point him at the backfield and fire.[/QUOTE]

:D Well put...

[QUOTE=Flaming Mo;2387610]Why don't you see Groves as a fit for the 3-4 OLB spot?!? He is big enough, great pass rusher and can move around...[/QUOTE]
    tuberville played him there three times this yr and he looked awful............he put him back at the DE spot and he went bezerk..........you guys need to go see his game against Kevin Smith this yr..........he was super human.

In my view it was him and Dorsey as the best Defensive players in the SEC but if I had to choose.........and remember I got a kid who plays in the SEC..........Id say it was Groves. I think he'll slip because he is not a good 3-4 guy..........but it would not surprise me to see a 3-4 team draft him real high

[QUOTE=nycdan;2387628]I assume you meant Ryan is the only QB going in round one but maybe not. In any case, it sounds like Brohm, Henne and Flacco are all floating around the top of round 2 with Woodson dropping to 5th QB taken.

Which of those three guys, if any stands out from the others and could warrant a late first-round pick.

What I'm thinking is that if the Giants don't have laser-vision for one guy at 1.31, they might be good candidates to trade down a few spots. Now if the Jets do pull of the Dallas trade it's a moot point, but if not, is there a QB worth sliding up from 2.36 to 1.31 (ahead of Miami) for?[/QUOTE]

henne and Flacco...........but I think we are going to see ATL Mia and KC all make trades to jump everyone..........in fact that is why Atl is targeting picks 25-31 now............they have no issue trading DHall to get that pick.............because they want a QB............a late round flyer on Booty maybe OK..........or even Josh Johnson

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bongo59;2387644]tuberville played him there three times this yr and he looked awful............he put him back at the DE spot and he went bezerk..........you guys need to go see his game against Kevin Smith this yr..........he was super human.

In my view it was him and Dorsey as the best Defensive players in the SEC but if I had to choose.........and remember I got a kid who plays in the SEC..........Id say it was Groves. I think he'll slip because he is not a good 3-4 guy..........but it would not surprise me to see a 3-4 team draft him real high[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the insight. I watched many Auburn games last year and immediately I thought that Groves skillset bodes well for the 3-4 OLB spot. We'll see...

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bongo59;2387650]henne and Flacco...........but I think we are going to see ATL Mia and KC all make trades to jump everyone..........in fact that is why Atl is targeting picks 25-31 now............they have no issue trading DHall to get that pick.............because they want a QB............a late round flyer on Booty maybe OK..........or even Josh Johnson[/QUOTE]

Wow...so the game of leapfrog may be beginning. So it would probably take 1.28 or even slightly better to get your pick of those guys. I'd still be okay with it if we had 1.22 and 1.28 (and 2.36). I'm starting to warm up to the idea actually.

In fact, the mere fact that Mangini is talking about a Clemens-Penny competition next year is starting to smell like a possible smokescreen - prelude to a surprise QB pick at 1.28 if we land that pick. I must be getting paranoid...I'm starting to assume everything he says is bull****.

[QUOTE=nycdan;2387602]Will the Rams or Chiefs draft Jake Long with that knock on him? Since the Jets have a young LT and really need a RT, if he falls, is he a no-brainer or is that just too high for any RT?[/QUOTE]

I think Jake Long would be a no brainer for the Jets. He's expected to excel at RT, the very position we most need on our OL. He looked great at the combine - huge, in shape, strong, well-spoken in his interviews. That means the guys is serious about becoming a good pro. And the salary at #6 won't be any more than a FA would be. Which, at this point, maybe we can't even get.

I think he'd be a great pick and a safe pick at #6.

Bongo,

With the above what's the likelyhood that Gholston is a juice monkey and how concerned are teams about that?

he is clean.........you hsould see his family........they are all in great shape. genetics...........he is going to get paid cause he has them.

[QUOTE=bongo59;2387754]he is clean.........you hsould see his family........they are all in great shape. genetics...........he is going to get paid cause he has them.[/QUOTE]

How do you know what kind of shape his family is in??? (not that i think hes roiding or anything... Gholston @ 6 plz)

[QUOTE=SantanaMoss83;2387764]How do you know what kind of shape his family is in??? (not that i think hes roiding or anything... Gholston @ 6 plz)[/QUOTE]
    i have met them three times since january

All Pro
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;2387722]I think Jake Long would be a no brainer for the Jets. He's expected to excel at RT, the very position we most need on our OL. He looked great at the combine - huge, in shape, strong, well-spoken in his interviews. That means the guys is serious about becoming a good pro. And the salary at #6 won't be any more than a FA would be. Which, at this point, maybe we can't even get.

I think he'd be a great pick and a safe pick at #6.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. See sig.

I want this guy at RT so bad.