Thread: Yankees Spring Training- Pettitte and Hughes throw some BP

Yankees Spring Training- Pettitte and Hughes throw some BP

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

Pettitte and Hughes throw some BP

February 25

Andy Pettitte and Phil Hughes threw live BP today on the main field. It was very interesting to watch.

Pettitte is working on a slide step, something he has never used in the past, to hold runners closer.

Why would a lefty with a great pickoff move need a slide step? According to Pettitte, several players in the AL East have tormented him by stealing third base, He mentioned Aaron Hill, Brian Roberts and Alex Rios.

“I have to figure out some way to keep them from doing that,” he said.

Hughes was, in a word, terrific. He made Johnny Damon, Derek Jeter, Bobby Abreu and Francisco Cervelli look foolish at times. He got Abreu to swing and miss at a curveball and had Damon fouling balls off the other way, a sign of how late his swing was. Jeter only swung at 3 of the 10 pitches he saw and fouled all of them off.

Now, keep in mind, the hitters have been facing live pitching for four days and Hughes started throwing off a mound in Tampa in mid January. But what was encouraging is the confidence with which Hughes threw his curveball.

That was the pitch he was throwing when he blew out his hamstring in Texas last May. For Hughes to throw the curve the way he wants, he has to follow through with his body and “snap” the pitch off. Without confidence that your legs will hold up, it’s a hard pitch to throw.

As he said later on, he never had his true curveball last year after the injury. Now it’s back. Hughes is working out with Pettitte six days a week and has dropped 10 pounds since last season. You can never say never, but all the work he has done should help him avoid leg injuries.

I know it’s Feb. 25. But if you’re a Yankees fan you should be just as excited about Hughes as you are Joba Chamberlain. Phil Franchise is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsPrisoner12 View Post
    You know what though - I'm really excited about this guy as well. I was hoping his so - so performances last year were injury related but was afraid it was wishfull thinking on my part, even with his strong September and his playoff start.

I usually head down to spring training but I can't this year. Figures - this would be such a fun year to go.
    No, no... It was obvious Hughes didn't have his legs under him. No wishful thinking on your part. Hughes is known for his impeccable command of all his pitches, but his "out" pitch is his curvball. He needs his legs to bury it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks for posting the article.

As he said later on, he never had his true curveball last year after the injury. Now it’s back. Hughes is working out with Pettitte six days a week and has dropped 10 pounds since last season. You can never say never, but all the work he has done should help him avoid leg injuries.
    Yes, Andy has Hughes on the HGH training regiment!

Jets Insider VIP
    Sean, by the way, what are Hughes' and Joba's new numbers?

I CANNOT wait to see Hughes' curve again

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Sean, by the way, what are Hughes' and Joba's new numbers?
    Hughes went from #65 to #34. Joba is still #62, oh and Kennedy went from #36 to #31

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Hughes went from #65 to #34. Joba is still #62, oh and Kennedy went from #36 to #31
    Thanks!

I thought Hughes was set on having a "5" in his number. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Thanks!

I thought Hughes was set on having a "5" in his number. Oh well.
    That is what I was thinking, his reasoning for the switch was that #7 is his moms favorite number. 3+4= 7

He wore #34 in high school and the 2006 Futures Game. I'm not sure if he ever wore it in the minors. I only seen him wear #50 and #35.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    That is what I was thinking, his reasoning for the switch was that #7 is his moms favorite number. 3+4= 7

He wore #34 in high school and the 2006 Futures Game. I'm not sure if he ever wore it in the minors. I only seen him wear #50 and #35.
    Cool. Good info. Got to keep Mom happy.

Hall Of Fame
    "As he said later on, he never had his true curveball last year after the injury. Now it’s back. Hughes is working out with Pettitte six days a week and has dropped 10 pounds since last season. You can never say never, but all the work he has done should help him avoid leg injuries."

Yeah that Hughes. What a poor work ethic...