Thread: Mets tried to shop El Duque, would have signed Lohse

Mets tried to shop El Duque, would have signed Lohse

Orlando Hernandez-S-Mets Feb. 25 - 4:30 pm et

According to SI.com's Jon Heyman, the Mets shopped Orlando Hernandez prior to the start of the spring with the idea that they could sign Kyle Lohse to replace him.

There apparently wasn't much interest in El Duque. His $6.5 million salary isn't unreasonable, but it's still a tough sell when he only figures to make 20-25 starts and might not be healthy come playoff time.
    I wouldn't have necessairily minded getting a more reliable option then El Duque. Particuarly if they could have gotten a decent chip to add to our depleated farm system in the process, but it would have been probably hard to find a taker for him. I still kinda wish they could find a way to bring Lohse in for depth purposes, but that seems unlikely.

Jets Insider VIP
    If Pelfrey can prove to be anything but a bust and hold down the 5th starter role, how would you feel about Duque pitching a few times per week in relief duties? It is weird to consider since he was our best starter at stretches last season but if we need some bullpen help, and we canít have 6 starters, I feel more comfortable with Duque coming off the bench in a close, late inning game (or even long relief if need be) then I would Perez or Pelfrey. Duque throws strikes and is rarely erratic. Heís also pitched in relief duty in the past with the White Sox.

If Perez proves that last year is the real pitcher he is, and Pelfrey doesnít crap the bed like he did last year I think this could be realistic. You?

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    If Pelfrey can prove to be anything but a bust and hold down the 5th starter role, how would you feel about Duque pitching a few times per week in relief duties? It is weird to consider since he was our best starter at stretches last season but if we need some bullpen help, and we canít have 6 starters, I feel more comfortable with Duque coming off the bench in a close, late inning game (or even long relief if need be) then I would Perez or Pelfrey. Duque throws strikes and is rarely erratic. Heís also pitched in relief duty in the past with the White Sox.

If Perez proves that last year is the real pitcher he is, and Pelfrey doesnít crap the bed like he did last year I think this could be realistic. You?
    My main concern is it leaves zero quality depth options in AAA. Sure, El Duque could probably spot-start here and there if someone goes down, but I'd feel better having an option down there. Hence why I'd rather they started Lohse every fifth day, moved El Duque to the Pen, and kept Pelfrey in AAA in that scenario.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    My main concern is it leaves zero quality depth options in AAA. Sure, El Duque could probably spot-start here and there if someone goes down, but I'd feel better having an option down there. Hence why I'd rather they started Lohse every fifth day, moved El Duque to the Pen, and kept Pelfrey in AAA in that scenario.
    Oh I agree signing Lohse would have been sweet. But I'm talking about how we're currently constituted.

We have six starters and the top 3 (Johan, Pedro, Maine) are locked in. More than likely Perez is locked in also. That means we either start El Duque and send Pelfrey back down to AAA, or we start Pelfrey and move Duque to the Pen only calling up Pelfrey for if (and hopefully not when) Pedro or El Duque can't go.

I don't think there is any chance of El Duque pitching out of the bullpen.

All Pro
    wtf is Loshe's deal? Does he still want a 5 year deal?

Oh I agree signing Lohse would have been sweet. But I'm talking about how we're currently constituted.

We have six starters and the top 3 (Johan, Pedro, Maine) are locked in. More than likely Perez is locked in also. That means we either start El Duque and send Pelfrey back down to AAA, or we start Pelfrey and move Duque to the Pen only calling up Pelfrey for if (and hopefully not when) Pedro or El Duque can't go.
    You really think Maine is better then Perez?

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    wtf is Loshe's deal? Does he still want a 5 year deal?
    Not anymore....he outpriced himself and most teams looked elsewhere to fill their needs. I think at this point he'd be happy with a 1 yr/5 mill type deal like Livan Hernandez got.

Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan View Post
    I think they're 3A and 3B, but Maine is much more reliable. Perez can look like an Ace one start, and a AAA pitcher the next. Maine is much more consistant. So if given the choice I'd rather have Maine pitch a big game, because his chances of pulling a Tom Glavine are lower then that of Perez.

Veteran
    Maine is much more consistent then Perez but when Olli is on u cant touch him

Jets Insider VIP
    When Ollie is good he is goooood. Maine however is more consistent and just attacks hitters. He just peppers the strikezone with tailing fastballs and dares people to hit it and while they do get a piece of it, they rarely get a solid piece of lumber on it.

So yes, overall I do think Maine is better then Perez.

Personally, I would rather 20 El Duque starts and 13 Pelfrey starts compared to 33 Lohse starts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Personally, I would rather 20 El Duque starts and 13 Pelfrey starts compared to 33 Lohse starts.
    I know its being greedy but I'd rather 33 El Duque's.

All League
    I know its being greedy but I'd rather 33 El Duque's.
    Well we all know that isn't gonna happen.

When Ollie is good he is goooood. Maine however is more consistent and just attacks hitters. He just peppers the strikezone with tailing fastballs and dares people to hit it and while they do get a piece of it, they rarely get a solid piece of lumber on it.

So yes, overall I do think Maine is better then Perez.
    I guess I was going after implying Perez doesn't have a spot locked in the rotation. IMO that is just silly. Perez obviously has more dominant stuff and Maine was brilliant in his final start, but he wasn't exactly very consistant in the final 2 months either. I agree with Venom that they are 3A & 3B, but I disagree in a big game I would rather have Perez then Maine. I want the unhittable guy not the fly ball pitcher. I may be partial to Game 7 though

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    What about 33 Lohse starts and a B level prospect for El Duque? I don't think the difference between El Duque and Lohse is all that big anyways. El Duque, as much as I like him, played over his head when healthy last year and you can't expect him to repeat that at his age and Lohse would be getting out of two bandboxes into a reasonable place like Shea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    What about 33 Lohse starts and a B level prospect for El Duque? I don't think the difference between El Duque and Lohse is all that big anyways. El Duque, as much as I like him, played over his head when healthy last year and you can't expect him to repeat that at his age and Lohse would be getting out of two bandboxes into a reasonable place like Shea.
    I'm really just not a fan of Lohse. I don't think he's any good.