Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: No love for Cliff Avril?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

No love for Cliff Avril?

If you watched the combine today and had to sit through 3 hours of the Long/Gholston love fest (and rightly so), in case you missed it, one player also stood out. Cliff Avril. He did everything he had to do and then some. Great 40 time, IMO looked the best in LB drills. I thought we had a shot at him in Rd. 3 but it looks like he will be a high second rounder. I just hope we take a pass rusher this year and he looks like he can be a great OLB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jamesangleton;2388036]If you watched the combine today and had to sit through 3 hours of the Long/Gholston love fest (and rightly so), in case you missed it, one player also stood out. Cliff Avril. He did everything he had to do and then some. Great 40 time, IMO looked the best in LB drills. I thought we had a shot at him in Rd. 3 but it looks like he will be a high second rounder. I just hope we take a pass rusher this year and he looks like he can be a great OLB.[/QUOTE]

Really impressive today.

I loved watching today because I dont know all the players faces, So we would judge the player by his play, not his name.

Avril was one of the most impressive...He was just so fluid. Reminds me of Phillips from SD.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kerry Rhodes;2388046]Really impressive today.

I loved watching today because I dont know all the players faces, So we would judge the player by his play, not his name.

Avril was one of the most impressive...He was just so fluid. Reminds me of Phillips from SD.[/QUOTE]

Maybe my eyes deceive me, but did Avril really run the 3 cone drill at 6.9 seconds?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Voice of Reason;2388077]Maybe my eyes deceive me, but did Avril really run the 3 cone drill at 6.9 seconds?[/QUOTE]

Really nice time...You can really see it when he moves around.

It looks like his explosiveness is average, but his agility is almost like a DB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kerry Rhodes;2388093]Really nice time...You can really see it when he moves around.

It looks like his explosiveness is average, but his agility is almost like a DB.[/QUOTE]

I think Mike Mayock said the difference between him and Spencer is that Spencer sustained his explosiveness in his Senior Year and Avril showed flashes. With a 4.56 40 time I think the explosiveness is there. I think he will be a solid LB in the Shaun Phillips, Mike Vrabel, Mo lewis mold

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So did Dre Moore .Kid at 305 runs under 4.9 unofficially.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jamesangleton;2388102]I think Mike Mayock said the difference between him and Spencer is that Spencer sustained his explosiveness in his Senior Year and Avril showed flashes. With a 4.56 40 time I think the explosiveness is there. I think he will be a solid LB in the Shaun Phillips, Mike Vrabel, Mo lewis mold[/QUOTE]

Did Mayock say that? I missed most of everything this morning just catching some drills. I just said that based on the numbers, hes alittle big of a developmental guy that will be good in a few years.

Im starting to like the value 20-40 better then where we are now....Im really hoping for a few trade downs...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No love for Chris Ellis? I really like him as an OLB in the 2nd or third, 6'4 265 and ran a pretty nice 40 time at 4.71. Great pass rusher who is a lot like Merling in that he's one of those two way defensive ends. Very solid in both aspects.