Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Why Isn't This The Answer For The Yankees at First Base

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Isn't This The Answer For The Yankees at First Base

Why don't I hear Posada's name thrown around more?

I would guess e wouldn't e the answer this year with the 4,000 players the Yankees have competeing for the spot.

He has played the postion a few times before, he is a 36 year old catcher in the first year of a four year deal, which to me means he will eventually have to move from behind the plate.

And how is this not the best line-up for the Yankees in 2008

Damon LF
    Jeter SS
    Abreu RF
    A-Rod 3B
    Matsui DH
    Posada 1B
    Cano 2B
    Molina C
    Cabrera CF

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because Molina is then the starting everyday catcher? And I know Posada started his career as an infielder, but if we are going to move him there he's at least going to get a spring training to learn the position. Besides, his best value to us is as a switch-hitting catcher, he'd make for an average to above average hitting 1st baseman. Not that much of an upgrade at 1st and we severely weaken our catching position.

Our minor league catchers are still a few years away and i'm thinking free agency and trade is not the way to go for a young one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    And how is this not the best line-up for the Yankees in 2008

Damon LF
    Jeter SS
    Abreu RF
    A-Rod 3B
    Matsui DH
    Posada 1B
    Cano 2B
    Molina C
    Cabrera CF
    Very simply. Because it is definitely not even close to the best lineup. In fact, from a pure offensive perspective, Molina is, by far, the worst offensive player of all of our possible options.

Molina is a career .243/.279/.345 hitter. Lets compare the possible first baseman. Betemit is a career .260/.332/.439 hitter. Morgan Ensberg is a career .265/.366/.483 hitter. Shelley Duncan, in his brief major league career, hit .257/.329/.554. And we will even include Jason Lane, who is a career .241/.314/.457 hitter. All of these guys are, by far, superior hitters to Molina.