Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but only in the AL as a DH.

12 54.55%
  • Yes, in the AL or NL.

8 36.36%
  • No.

2 9.09%

Thread: Do You Think Barry Bonds Could Still Be Effective This Year?

Do You Think Barry Bonds Could Still Be Effective This Year?

There has been talk of him signing with a team before the season starts. Some of the teams interested are NL teams, which has raised the question of whether he can still play the field, or if he'd just be effective in the AL, where the Devil Rays have shown interest.

Poll coming.

Jets Insider VIP
    Why should anyone think he'd only be effective in the AL? I think he'd be MORE effective there, but only? Why?

Just last season in the NL he posted the following numbers:

340 AB
    28 HR
    .480 OBP
    .565 SLG
    1.051 OPS
    75 Runs
    66 RBI
    .276 AVG

Now, the guy had 28 HRs and a .276 average batting cleanup in a lineup and only had 66 RBI? That is pitiful. Not on him of course, but on his team. That number should be MUCH higher if he was in a productive offense rather than being his teamís only offensive threat.

Also, he had an .OBP of .480 and only scored 75 runs? That is also evidence of a piss poor lineup and that number should be much higher. While Bonds is no speed demon anymore, he still stole 5 bases last year and was caught stealing zero times. He is a shell of his old self on the base paths but still runs as well (better) then other sluggers like David Ortiz, Prince Fielder, and Ryan Howard who are surrounded by much better players who drive them in and get on base for them to drive in.

Bonds will be productive anywhere. A guy who is on base 50% of the time he steps up to the plate and hits a HR once in every 12 at bats is welcome on my team anytime.

He still would have led the league in OPS had he not sat out the last three weeks of the season making him not reach the minimum PA's necessary to qualify for the league leaders.

If it wasn't for the huge circus surrounding him he'd be a great addition.

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    He is a shell of his old self on the base paths but still runs as well (better) then other sluggers like David Ortiz, Prince Fielder, and Ryan Howard who are surrounded by much better players who drive them in and get on base for them to drive in.
    You're giving Bonds' speed too much credit at this point in his career, it is painful to see him run the bases, the only player slower than him is probably Bengie Molina.

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    Why should anyone think he'd only be effective in the AL? I think he'd be MORE effective there, but only? Why?
    Not questioning just his batting necessarily. Effective meaning, would he be a liability in the field in the NL? Could he still play OF, or would he have to move to 1st, things like that.

The only NL team interested reportedly was St. Louis at La Russa's urging, but their FO is against it because of the hoopla. There are also reportedly more AL teams interested from what I heard, so I don't think it's that far-fetched that he would be preferred as a DH rather than doing both with an NL team. It will be interesting to see what happens.

The Rays should really sign him..

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    I agree, if nothing else it'll help their terrible attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by JETS_for_life View Post
    He gets on base damn near 50% of the time.

the mariners should sign him because they have vidro as their DH.

Quote Originally Posted by JETS_for_life View Post
    That should be the #1 reason for them to sign him.

Considering that when he played last year he was the best offensive player in baseball, of course he could.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Considering that when he played last year he was the best offensive player in baseball, of course he could.
    A-Rod?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Stretch....

Now they're saying Bonds could play in Japan? Wow, now that'd be something.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Rays are supposidly building a young team that plays together. They were talking this morning on ESPN radio on how they just don't think the Rays want to put up with Barry.

Barry the player, can help teams. Barry the person brings the circus to town, and who wants to deal with it. Barry the outfielder has the range of my 4 year old. And my 4 year old isn't very fast. He'd be better served learning first base if he wants to stay in the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    A-Rod?
    A-Rod had the better season because he played more, but in terms of production per AB, Bonds was the best last year. A-Rod, while great, was not as productive as the .482 OBP and .565 SLG Bonds put up, although it is very close. I guess when you factor in base running, A-Rod was probably more productive, but in terms of just value as a hitter, Bonds was either #1 last year or very, very close.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3 View Post
    You're giving Bonds' speed too much credit at this point in his career, it is painful to see him run the bases, the only player slower than him is probably Bengie Molina.
    .280 BA, 28 HRs, 66 RBIs, 75 RS. .480 OBP
    Admittedly he's not legging out a bunch of doubles. But, just because he's slow and he'll probably miss 50 games with injury doesn't mean he's still a good hitter.