Thread: Fantasy Advice

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Fantasy Advice

I am in a keeper 5 x 5 Roto League and am allowed to keep 13 players max. Our salary cap is $260. I have to choose from the following guys. I've bolded the guys who im initially thinking about keeping.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hitters

Reyes $41
    Holliday $30
    V. Mart $23
    B. Phillips $9
    Uggla $8
    Cuddyer $8
    Griffey $6
    E. Encarnacion $6
    Blalock $2
    Melky $2
    Ethier $2

Pitchers

Lackey $17
    Street $12
    Haren $10
    Meche $6
    Arroyo $5
    K. Wood $4
    R. Soriano $3
    N. Lowery $3
    Marcum $1
    U. Jimenez $1

I also have Ellsbury and I. Kennedy who've retained rookie status so won't count against the salary cap for next year.

As it stands now, I have used $159 leaving $101 for 10 players in this year's auction. Most are no brainers.....just trying to decide on the last few slots. Melky/Ethier/Meche/Wood, etc.

Dump Melky as he is waiver wire material and take a flyer on Wood being a good closer this year. The rest of your list is spot on decision wise as long as Blaylock is fully healthy.

B. Phillips $9
    R. Soriano $3
    Haren $10
    U. Jimenez $1
    H. Blalock $2
    Uggla $8
    Reyes $41
    Holliday $30
    V-Mart $23
    Lackey $17
    Street $12
    Marcum $1

Those are locks in my eyes. I wouldn't keep Melky...just don't see any offensive upside out of him. I'd probably keep Meche or Wood (Hoping he can get the closers job) for the last spot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Dump Melky and keep Bronson. You save a buck over keeping a guy like Meche, he pitches on a much better team, in a much inferior league, and his whip and SOs were solid last year. I don't expect his ERA to be over 4.00 again. Something more like 3.9.

JMHO, but I do know I like Arroyo more than most.

I'd keep

Reyes $41
    Holliday $30
    V. Mart $23
    B. Phillips $9
    Uggla $8
    Blalock $2

Pitchers
    Lackey $17
    Street $12
    Haren $10
    K. Wood $4
    R. Soriano $3
    Marcum $1
    Jimenez $1

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I am in a keeper 5 x 5 Roto League and am allowed to keep 13 players max. Our salary cap is $260. I have to choose from the following guys. I've bolded the guys who im initially thinking about keeping.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hitters

Reyes $41
    Holliday $30
    V. Mart $23
    B. Phillips $9
    Uggla $8
    Cuddyer $8
    Griffey $6
    E. Encarnacion $6
    Blalock $2
    Melky $2
    Ethier $2

Pitchers

Lackey $17
    Street $12
    Haren $10
    Meche $6
    Arroyo $5
    K. Wood $4
    R. Soriano $3
    N. Lowery $3
    Marcum $1
    U. Jimenez $1

I also have Ellsbury and I. Kennedy who've retained rookie status so won't count against the salary cap for next year.

As it stands now, I have used $159 leaving $101 for 10 players in this year's auction. Most are no brainers.....just trying to decide on the last few slots. Melky/Ethier/Meche/Wood, etc.
    Keep

Reyes
    Holliday
    Martinez
    Phillips

Lackey
    Haren
    Soriano
    Wood
    Marcum

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    Dump Melky and keep Bronson. You save a buck over keeping a guy like Meche, he pitches on a much better team, in a much inferior league, and his whip and SOs were solid last year. I don't expect his ERA to be over 4.00 again. Something more like 3.9.

JMHO, but I do know I like Arroyo more than most.
    Im actually kinda partial to Bronson as well. I can't imagine him going for much more than $5 though. But, as this is the first year of keepers for this league, i don't have a true concept of how much JAG starters end going for when the market is relatively slim.

Seems to be a consensus about Melky. Was thinking that his upside might warrant keeping him, but its probably the right move to let him go. Wood's upside as a potential closer is much higher, considering there will be next to no closers available.

Ikey, you wouldn't keep Jimenez for a buck? He's got a ton of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Im actually kinda partial to Bronson as well. I can't imagine him going for much more than $5 though. But, as this is the first year of keepers for this league, i don't have a true concept of how much JAG starters end going for when the market is relatively slim.

Seems to be a consensus about Melky. Was thinking that his upside might warrant keeping him, but its probably the right move to let him go. Wood's upside as a potential closer is much higher, considering there will be next to no closers available.

Ikey, you wouldn't keep Jimenez for a buck? He's got a ton of potential.
    Ubaldo for a bick isn't bad, but there are 25-50 of those guys out there. I can't see a young pitcher with some control issues working out in Coors for this year.

I think I'd keep Meche as well, now that I think of it. He'll get you some K's and a decent WHIP and ERA, not many wins though.

I'd dump Street, the A's stink and he gets too hurt, saves are easy to find anyway.

Revised Keepers

Reyes $41
    Holliday $30
    V. Mart $23
    B. Phillips $9
    Cuddyer $8 (Solid guy)

Lackey $17
    Haren $10
    Meche $6
    K. Wood $4
    R. Soriano $3
    Marcum $1

Spend heavy on 3B and 1B, for some power, as Reyes is a liability. Go cheap on pitching, target some high upside middle relievers and starters for short money. MR won't get you saves but they help you with WHIP and ERA and are an injury away from getting you saves.
    Last edited by IM3; 02-26-2008 at 10:59 PM.