Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey, Conservatives!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Conservatives!!!

I feel I am voting Demcrat by force.

I am a registered independant (insert indecisive joke here) but find that, at least politically I am more conservative than liberal. I think socially I am probably more liberal than conservative.

I just don't think the republican party has really been that conservative over my voting lifetime (I am 33). Many people claim they are "Reagan COnservatives" but, politically, was he really a fiscal conservative? Did he produce small government?

Which candidate (besides Ron Paul) was a true fiscal and political conservative? Out of anyone who ran? Maybe Duncn Hunter? I don't know...

I just feel it seems more important if they show they are social conservatives than fiscal conservative who are for small government.

What is more important to someone who considers themselves a conservative?

To me, it is the fiscal, small government guy all the time. I don't care about anti-abortion, anti-gun law, conservative judges, etc, etc. On these issues I am at odds with.

There are plenty of conservative stances that I agree with and that I don't agree with, but to be honest I agree with more than I don't.

My question is what is important? Fiswcal or Social conservatism?

I guess most republicans did say no to small government (see Ron Paul), which gets right back to my original point I guess, I would be a republican if they were really conservatives.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really think that you cant be truly one way or the other anymore. Theres always examples of politicians voting against what some of their constituents want.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2392063]I feel I am voting Demcrat by force.

I am a registered independant (insert indecisive joke here) but find that, at least politically I am more conservative than liberal. I think socially I am probably more liberal than conservative.

I just don't think the republican party has really been that conservative over my voting lifetime (I am 33). Many people claim they are "Reagan COnservatives" but, politically, was he really a fiscal conservative? Did he produce small government?

Which candidate (besides Ron Paul) was a true fiscal and political conservative? Out of anyone who ran? Maybe Duncn Hunter? I don't know...

I just feel it seems more important if they show they are social conservatives than fiscal conservative who are for small government.

To me, it is the fiscal, small government guy all the time. I don't care about anti-abortion, anti-gun law, conservative judges, etc, etc. On these issues I am at odds with.

There are plenty of conservative stances that I agree with and that I don't agree with, but to be honest I agree with more than I don't.

I guess most republicans did say no to small government (see Ron Paul), which gets right back to my original point I guess, I would be a republican if they were really conservatives.[/QUOTE]

For me it is fiscal. i tend to lean more liberal on social issues (abortion,gay rights, etc)

The other big issue for me is national defense and foreign policy.

I am for smaller social programs and less government run programs in general but I am not for cuts in the defense budget. i think there are plenty of places to trim money from the budget without taking any from the Pentagon.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetfan_Johnny;2392089]For me it is fiscal. i tend to lean more liberal on social issues (abortion,gay rights, etc)

The other big issue for me is national defense and foreign policy.

I am for smaller social programs and less government run programs in general but I am not for cuts in the defense budget. i think there are plenty of places to trim money from the budget without taking any from the Pentagon.[/QUOTE]

see, and I feel though that as long as a politicain is anti-abortion and against gay marriage he can be considered a conservative.

I want smaller government and I want to cut spending, I just don't see either side doing it, and therefore I will vote for the guy I feel is closer to me on issues about gay marraige and abortion.

If the Republicans had a truly fiscal conservative running I would be all for it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would consider myself as a fiscal conservative, so far as social I guess one could say a middle if the road type! This country must get its ducks in a row and fix what is important first. Education our crumbling roads and bridges and cities.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2392114]see, and I feel though that as long as a politicain is anti-abortion and against gay marriage he can be considered a conservative.

I want smaller government and I want to cut spending, I just don't see either side doing it, and therefore I will vote for the guy I feel is closer to me on issues about gay marraige and abortion.

If the Republicans had a truly fiscal conservative running I would be all for it.[/QUOTE]

i agree with you , the definition of a Conservative has changed to be more social than fiscal since realistically nobody seems to be fiscally conservative.

Where I agree with you on most social issues, I will vote Republican becuase of National defense/ Foreign policy and since the democrats control congress no socially conservative incentives will ever get passed anyway.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be a true conservative you have to be a "Statesman," and that requires allegiance to the overall well being of the populace.
    We have very few people worthy of being called a "statesman" in politics anymore. Politicians are too easily bought off by the upper crust and in almost all cases they have to satisfy them to obtain any sort of position of power.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;2392154]I would consider myself as a fiscal conservative, so far as social I guess one could say a middle if the road type! This country must get its ducks in a row and fix what is important first. Education our crumbling roads and bridges and cities.[/QUOTE]

If a person or a party is allowed to nuder our National Defence...you will have plenty of crumbling roads,bridges and cities in this country...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=shodan9999;2392205]If a person or a party is allowed to [B]nuder[/B] our National Defence...you will have plenty of crumbling roads,bridges and cities in this country...[/quote]

Seriously. Nobody fights well without clothes!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;2392213]Seriously. Nobody fights well without clothes![/QUOTE]

Or when you strip all the weapons from them !

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shodan9999;2392205]If a person or a party is allowed to nuder our National Defence...you will have plenty of crumbling roads,bridges and cities in this country...[/QUOTE]

Poland had a larger Army than the USA in 1939. But the USA had the greatest manufacturing complex in the world and TWO giant oceans between us and any warlike countries.

Compared to the rest of the world our military was weak when WWII and we still came out on top.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shodan9999;2392205]If a person or a party is allowed to nuder our National Defence...you will have plenty of crumbling roads,bridges and cities in this country...[/QUOTE]

Agreed!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;2392283]Poland had a larger Army than the USA in 1939. But the USA had the greatest manufacturing complex in the world and TWO giant oceans between us and any warlike countries.

Compared to the rest of the world our military was weak when WWII and we still came out on top.[/QUOTE]

True, but how many of this generation would join the armed forces or would we be forced into drafting them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2392114]see, and I feel though that as long as a politicain is anti-abortion and against gay marriage he can be considered a conservative.

If the Republicans had a truly fiscal conservative running I would be all for it.[/QUOTE]

McCain is one of the top five most fiscally conservative Senators.

He consistently got As from the National Taxpayers Union, while Hillary and Obama got Fs.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris Rock said it best...

"Anyone who makes up their mind before they hear the issue is a ****ing fool"

Boo to anyone who calls themselves a conservative/liberal.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sean Ryan;2393296]Chris Rock said it best...

Boo to anyone who calls themselves a conservative/liberal.[/QUOTE]

I call myself a liberal because of the ideas/concepts I support. For example I support Gay Marraige, that is considered a liberal idea, I also support many other liberal ideas, so I am a liberal.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;2393302]I call myself a liberal because of the ideas/concepts I support. For example I support Gay Marraige, that is considered a liberal idea, I also support many other liberal ideas, so I am a liberal.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure there is some conservative thinking in your head somewhere.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Calling yourself a con/lib is just your general stances on those parties platforms. It doesnt necessarily mean your mind is made up before knowing the issues.
    Last edited by sect112row36; 02-28-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

You're aware of the irony of this post, right?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2392063]I feel I am voting Demcrat by force.

I guess most republicans did say no to small government (see Ron Paul), which gets right back to my original point I guess, I would be a republican if they were really conservatives.[/QUOTE]

you consider yourself a fiscal conservative yet you are going to vote for a candidate who wants to socialize healthcare ? :eek: