http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ncer_scar.html

Bobby Murcer faces new brain cancer scare

BY BILL MADDEN
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, February 28th 2008, 2:58 PM

Bobby Murcer, batting during during Old Timer's
    Day last year, has been battling brain cancer
    since Dec. 2006.

Former Yankee outfielder Bobby Murcer’s battle with brain cancer may have taken a turn for the worse, the Daily News has learned.

According to an emotional e-mail sent to friends Thursday from Murcer’s wife, Kay, the Yankee broadcaster will undergo a brain biopsy on Monday in Houston after an MRI revealed an “area that doctors are concerned about.”

“Please pray that it will be determined to be necrosis (scar tissue from the radiation), and not another cancerous tumor,” Kay wrote in her e-mail. “It’s one of the two.”

Murcer, 61, played with the Yankees from 1965-74, and 1979-83, and has been a broadcaster with the team since his retirement in 1983.

In Dec. 2006, Murcer began experiencing headaches and a loss of energy, and was diagnosed with brain cancer on Christmas Eve after an MRI discovered a malignant tumor.

Despite the possible setback, Murcer remained upbeat when reached by the News at his home in Oklahoma City.

“I’ve gotta go back to Houston on Monday for more tests, which means I’m going to have to miss the first two spring training games,” Murcer said. “I still hope to be in Tampa in time for the third game (on March 7) and I’m still planning on doing my full schedule of games for the regular season.”

Murcer also played with the Giants and Cubs during his 17-season career.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Very sorry to hear this. Even as a Mets fan I've always recognized Murcer as one of the game's good guys. Will never forget his Roy Hobbs-like heroics on Munson Night in '79. Still gives me chills.

Jets Insider VIP
    God bless ya, Mercer

Hall Of Fame
    God bless and may it be nothing serious. One of my favorite broadcasters.

All League
    My first baseball idol!!!

All the best Bobby!!

Very sad news. It's impossible not to like this guy. He's been one of my favorite broadcasters for a while. Prayers for him and his family.

It was only scar tissue!
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 03-05-2008 at 01:30 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    It was only scar tissue!
    Just saw it!!! Tremendous news.

By JUSTIN TERRANOVA

Bobby Murcer can breathe a sigh of relief today after the results of his biopsy came back negative.

The troublesome spot doctors at M.D. Cancer Center in Houston found on an MRI last Tuesday turned out be scar tissue, as opposed to another cancerous tumor, which was feared.

"We received great news this morning," Murcer said in a statement. "The biopsy revealed scar tissue. It showed no signs of cancer.

"We are very excited about this news. Its what we had hoped for all along."

Murcer will be leaving the hospital today and flying home to Oklahoma, where he plans to rest for the remainder of spring training. He is hopeful to get back for Opening Day at Yankee Stadium, which is March 31 against the Blue Jays.

"I plan on resting at home over the next few weeks and focusing my energies on returning to the Stadium for its final Opening Day," Murcer said. "My family and I thank everyone for their prayers, e-mails, cards and thoughts.

Posted by web editor on March 5, 2008 12:41 PM

Hall Of Fame
    That's awesome. Hopefully, he never has to deal with this ever again.

All Pro
    Great, great news!!

Wow that's tremendous news! Hopefully this is the end of it for him.