Thread: Because I am bored, looking ahead to 2009 for the Yanks

Because I am bored, looking ahead to 2009 for the Yanks

so, if I have this right these big money guys come off the books

Giambi, Abreu, Moose, and Pettitte

This is a ton of cash (roughly what 60 million?)

so, how does it sound, as long as deal don't get done, that the Yankees overpay (since they can) and get themselves Teixeira for first and Sabathia for the rotation. Then, for right field toss a reasonable contract over the Juan Rivera (hurt last year, but still young and hit .310 in '06 with 23 HR in only 124 games) Even if you paid $18 to Sabathia, $18 to Teixeira and $10-12 for Rivera that is still a rough gain of 10-15 mil less this year than last.

Then we could have

LF Damon
    SS Jeter
    2B Cano
    3B A-Rod
    1B Teixeira
    DH Matsui
    C Posada
    RF RIvera
    CF Cabrera

then you also have

Sabathia
    Hughes
    Wang
    Kennedy

as you top four guys, and if they decide to put Chamberlain in the rotation it could be a sick year for them.

So although there are a lot of question marks for 2008, if the Yankees show patience, they could get younger and better by 2009 and beyond.

Very Yankee-like. I could actually see alot of that happening, minus the Juan Rivera part of course. He's a 5th/6th Outfielder on his own team right now behind Vlad, Garret, Hunter, Willits, and Matthews Jr. The money is low....unless they have a really down year, Teix and Sabathia are both 20 million a year players. I mean, guys like Torii Hunter got 18 per and Teixeira is better then that.

But my god, that team looks stacked.

PS: You missed Pavano and I think Farnsworth too coming off the books.

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    so, if I have this right these big money guys come off the books

Giambi, Abreu, Moose, and Pettitte

This is a ton of cash (roughly what 60 million?)

so, how does it sound, as long as deal don't get done, that the Yankees overpay (since they can) and get themselves Teixeira for first and Sabathia for the rotation. Then, for right field toss a reasonable contract over the Juan Rivera (hurt last year, but still young and hit .310 in '06 with 23 HR in only 124 games) Even if you paid $18 to Sabathia, $18 to Teixeira and $10-12 for Rivera that is still a rough gain of 10-15 mil less this year than last.

Then we could have

LF Damon
    SS Jeter
    2B Cano
    3B A-Rod
    1B Teixeira
    DH Matsui
    C Posada
    RF RIvera
    CF Cabrera

then you also have

Sabathia
    Hughes
    Wang
    Kennedy

as you top four guys, and if they decide to put Chamberlain in the rotation it could be a sick year for them.

So although there are a lot of question marks for 2008, if the Yankees show patience, they could get younger and better by 2009 and beyond.
    Add Pavano and Farnsworth to the list of dead weight coming off the books.

I'd rather re-sign Abreu with a 2 year contract until Tabata is ready. Not a big Jaun Rivera fan.

Also, I expect Joba to be in the rotation. I do like Teixeira, and I'm not sure about Sabathia just yet, but we will need a lefty when Andy retires (Which isn't a written in stone) So I'll put him in there. Would like to get Matsui off our hands. Trade him for prospects.

Lineup

1. LF Damon (L)
    2. SS Jeter (R)
    3. 2B Cano (L)
    4. 3B A-Rod (R)
    5. 1B Teixeira (S)
    6. RF Abreu (L)
    7. C Posada (S)
    8. DH Miranda (L)
    9. CF Cabrera (S)

Rotation

1. LHP C.C Sabathia
    2. RHP Phil Hughes
    3. RHP Joba Chamberlain
    4. RHP Chien-Ming Wang
    5. RHP Ian Kennedy

(Alan Horne should be in the mix also, if he's not traded for a luxury)
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 02-28-2008 at 11:09 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    You're bored on a Jets board one hour before the biggest trade/free agency period maybe in team history?

I had to just come here to get a breather!

Screw 2009, look at what Baseball America has us at in 2010!

Catcher Austin Romine
    First Base Jesus Montero
    Second Base Robinson Cano
    Third Base Alex Rodriguez
    Shortstop Derek Jeter
    Left Field Brett Gardner Not happening
    Center Field Austin Jackson
    Right Field Jose Tabata
    Designated Hitter Bob Abreu Nope!
    No. 1 Starter Joba Chamberlain
    No. 2 Starter Phil Hughes
    No. 3 Starter Chien-Ming Wang
    No. 4 Starter Ian Kennedy
    No. 5 Starter Alan Horne
    Closer Mark Melancon

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Screw 2009, look at what Baseball America has us at in 2010!

Catcher Austin Romine
    First Base Jesus Montero
    Second Base Robinson Cano
    Third Base Alex Rodriguez
    Shortstop Derek Jeter
    Left Field Brett Gardner Not happening
    Center Field Austin Jackson
    Right Field Jose Tabata
    Designated Hitter Bob Abreu Nope!
    No. 1 Starter Joba Chamberlain
    No. 2 Starter Phil Hughes
    No. 3 Starter Chien-Ming Wang
    No. 4 Starter Ian Kennedy
    No. 5 Starter Alan Horne
    Closer Mark Melancon
    Just because I can, here would be my stab at the 2010 Yankees.

C - Posada (Sorry, he's still under contract and at this point you'll be begging the kids to get ready).
    1B - Teixeira
    2B - Cano
    SS - Jeter
    3B - A-Rod
    LF - Tabata
    CF - Cabrera
    RF - Jackson, A.
    DH - Abreu (2 yr extension)

1 - Sabathia
    2 - Chamberlain
    3 - Hughes
    4 - Wang
    5 - Kennedy
    CL - Rivera
    SU - Melancon, Horne(They'll have to put him somewhere), Ramirez

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post

C - Posada (Sorry, he's still under contract and at this point you'll be begging the kids to get ready).
    1B - Teixeira
    2B - Cano
    SS - Jeter
    3B - A-Rod
    LF - Tabata
    CF - Cabrera
    RF - Jackson, A.
    DH - Abreu (2 yr extension)

1 - Sabathia
    2 - Chamberlain
    3 - Hughes
    4 - Wang
    5 - Kennedy
    CL - Rivera
    SU - Melancon, Horne(They'll have to put him somewhere), Ramirez
    Good stuff.

-Posada would be my DH. Montero or Romine will be ready behind the plate.

-Like Jackson better in CF. He's a better athlete and hitter, more valuable in center.

-Horne just doesn't suit the bullpen. Probably end up being trade bait.

Good stuff.

-Posada would be my DH. Montero or Romine will be ready behind the plate.

-Like Jackson better in CF. He's a better athlete and hitter, more valuable in center.

-Horne just doesn't suit the bullpen. Probably end up being trade bait.
    I'm not convinced either would be ready, neither have really played anything in the Minors at this point in time and you're projecting them to be ready for opening day in 2 years? At ages 21 and 20 respectively? Seems optimistic to me. Nor am I convinced Montero will be able to stay a Catcher, he'll be too big once his frame is finished filling out.

While Jackson would be more valueable in CF, leaving Melky there is the only way he has any value at all.

And probably Horne will be traded, but until then I'd try him out in relief at least.

I'm not convinced either would be ready, neither have really played anything in the Minors at this point in time and you're projecting them to be ready for opening day in 2 years? At ages 21 and 20 respectively? Seems optimistic to me. Nor am I convinced Montero will be able to stay a Catcher, he'll be too big once his frame is finished filling out.

While Jackson would be more valueable in CF, leaving Melky there is the only way he has any value at all.

And probably Horne will be traded, but until then I'd try him out in relief at least.
    You're probably right about them not being ready, and I'm not sold on this Montero can't be a catcher talk. He looks like a stereotypical catcher at camp right now. I'm sure he will get bigger, but... what about Posada? He's fat as hell! LOL

Melky is a stop gap IMO

You're probably right about them not being ready, and I'm not sold on this Montero can't be a catcher talk. He looks like a stereotypical catcher at camp right now. I'm sure he will get bigger, but... what about Posada? He's fat as hell! LOL

Melky is a stop gap IMO
    Montero is 17 years old right now...who doesn't get bigger from Age 17 to 20-21?

Montero is 17 years old right now...who doesn't get bigger from Age 17 to 20-21?
    He's 18 right now, and from these pictures from spring training he defiantly looks like he can stay behind the plate.

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 02-29-2008 at 12:56 AM.

He's 18 right now, and from these pictures from spring training he defiantly looks like he can stay behind the plate.

My bad on the age, but he looks like an MLB Catcher right now at Age 18 and you'd still expect the guy to grow significantly into his body as he ages. He'll probably be too bulky to catch. Keep in mind you want catchers to be flexible with extremely quick reflexes to handle any errant pitches, also they have to be able to deliver a ball to Second Base in a split-second. Too much bulk hinders either of those processes.

But even if he's not too big, all of his defensive tools are extremely raw, it's hard to say if they'll ever develop to the point where he could be an average defensive catcher.

My bad on the age, but he looks like an MLB Catcher right now at Age 18 and you'd still expect the guy to grow significantly into his body as he ages. He'll probably be too bulky to catch. Keep in mind you want catchers to be flexible with extremely quick reflexes to handle any errant pitches, also they have to be able to deliver a ball to Second Base in a split-second. Too much bulk hinders either of those processes.

But even if he's not too big, all of his defensive tools are extremely raw, it's hard to say if they'll ever develop to the point where he could be an average defensive catcher.
    Time will tell I guess, hopefully for him he can stick to catcher, he would be far more valuable there with that big stick. Kid can mash...

Love this line in BA scouting report.

Montero has exceptional raw power to all fields, coupling a discerning eye for a young player with brute strength and bat speed.
    Brute means

1: of or relating to beasts
    2: inanimate
    3: characteristic of an animal in quality, action, or instinct: as a: cruel, savage <brute violence>
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 02-29-2008 at 01:12 AM.

Contracts coming off the books:

1. Giambi - $21M although there is also a $5M buyout.
    2. Mussina - $11M.
    3. Abreu - $16M.
    4. Farnsworth - $5.5M.
    5. Pettitte - $16M.
    6. Hawkins - $3.75M

For a total of $73.25M. Subtract the $5M for Giambi's option and you get $68.25M.

To me, there's not a chance we will sign Texeira. He's going to get, at the very minimum, an 8/$160M deal. The dollars isn't an issue for the Yankees, but I do believe investing 8 years in a first baseman is not something the Yankees will be willing to do given that either Posada, Jeter, or A-Rod will have to move there by 2010. We'll see though.

As for Sabathia, I do think we will go after him, especially if Pettitte is not back, but I also could see Cashman having reservations about giving the big guy a 6 or 7 year deal.

RF is going to be an issue. Tabata won't be ready next year and we won't want to re-sign Abreu to a multi-year contract. Juan Rivera is someone to consider I guess, but I'd only give him a 2 year contract max, and definitely not for $10-$12M.

It should also be remembered that although the payroll would go down next year, if you did sign guys to replace something like $50M of the $70M we are getting off the books, within a few years that payroll is going to get incredibly high as we try to re-sign the young pitchers we have on this team now that are making the minimum.

I think he'll be fine defensively then. 2011 might be a problem. Lets not forget that your Mets were about to offer Po a 5 year deal.

No way Rivera gets $10-12 million. I think Teixera and Sabathia both are likely though.