Thread: Please bury this story or we'll have to recognize improvement, success in Iraq

JetsInsider.com Legend

Please bury this story or we'll have to recognize improvement, success in Iraq

U.S. troop increase, Mehdi Army cease-fire, pro-U.S. Sunni groups credited with February 2008 having the 3rd lowest amount of U.S. troop deaths since 2003. But don't tell anyone :rolleyes:

We still need the media to perpetuate the negative! The surge is working....go figure!

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/03/01/iraq.casualties/index.html[/url]

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2401488]U.S. troop increase, Mehdi Army cease-fire, pro-U.S. Sunni groups credited with February 2008 having the 3rd lowest amount of U.S. troop deaths since 2003. But don't tell anyone :rolleyes:

We still need the media to perpetuate the negative! The surge is working....go figure!

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/03/01/iraq.casualties/index.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Do a little more homework and you will realize that outside of the low US troop deaths these stories are not as "positive" as you think.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    "the growth of pro-U.S. Sunni groups" has been credited with the decrease in violence. But these same groups are opposed to the current Shiite led government. This could prove problematic.

That being said less American deaths is always a good thing

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2401488]U.S. troop increase, Mehdi Army cease-fire, pro-U.S. Sunni groups credited with February 2008 having the 3rd lowest amount of U.S. troop deaths since 2003. But don't tell anyone :rolleyes:

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/03/01/iraq.casualties/index.html[/url][/QUOTE]

The news has certainly been more positive concerning Iraq... and I truly feel that most media outlets have reflected this. I watch NBC Nightly News and that's certainly the impression I have received from them.

However, I think we'd all like to see more political work being done by the Iraqis to mirror whatever military success we've had on the ground.

Also saying that this has been the 3rd lowest amount of U.S. casualties since 2003 is kinda weak... we've been there for a while if things were going how the Bush Administration thought/told us they would go then we shouldn't be having casualties at all at this point. I would hope that we can all admit that there was some terrible planning that went into this... and I don't think Donald Rumsfeld was behind it all.

Let's hope the good news (more like lack of bad news) continues, the Iraqis step up to the plate and we can get the hell out of there.

It is all up to the Sunni's and Shia if they can coexist so we cann get the hell out of there.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;2402352]It is all up to the Sunni's and Shia if they can coexist so we cann get the hell out of there.[/QUOTE]

but in order to get the Sunni's in Anbar province to turn against Al Qaeda we had to "arm" them.

Why do you think the wanted to be better armed?

It could be because the Sunni's in Anbar did not like Al Qaeda and their tactics. Or it it could be because they wanted more or better arms to strengthen their cause in the struggle to dominate Iraq. Could be both or neither...

Who knows

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2401550]Do a little more homework and you will realize that outside of the low US troop deaths these stories are not as "positive" as you think.[/QUOTE]

I do a lot of homework. This is a positive story. It is an article about the US troop death toll being lower in Feb. 2008. I'm sorry that it obviously disappoints you. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2403386]I do a lot of homework. This is a positive story. It is an article about the US troop death toll being lower in Feb. 2008. I'm sorry that it obviously disappoints you. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I guess reading comprehension is not your forte:

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by kennyo7
    Do a little more homework and you will realize that[B] outside of the low US troop deaths [/B]these stories are not as "positive" as you think. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bigalbarracuda;2401615 I would hope that we can all admit that there was some terrible planning that went into this... and I don't think Donald Rumsfeld was behind it all.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, it's easy to call a plan "terrible" if it didn't work exactly the way you wanted. Do you think every plan we had in WWI or II went perfectly? That we didn't lose any men unnecessarily? My neighbor is a WWII vet and he knows a lot of plans went wrong and some of his buddies paid the ultimate price for it. If we had to do WWII over again in this climate, we'd probably lose and there'd be "impeach FDR" signs all over the place, esp. if they heard him singing [b]Onward Christian Soldiers[/b] with Churchill on board their meeting ship!

I'm sure the DOD already has several plans for war with Iran if needed...or maybe even concerning that idiot running Venezeula who's gearing up for possible war with Columbia now!

If Obama or Hillary are the next prez, they'll do the same, in fact the majority of folks in the DOD will not be out of work just b/c a 'rat is CinC!

I'm amazed at how many people must think that W, Rumsfeld, and maybe Rove met at Starbucks one day to draw up war plans!
    Last edited by asuusa; 03-03-2008 at 01:15 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=asuusa;2405819]I'm amazed at how many people must think that W, Rumsfeld, and maybe Rove met at Starbucks one day to draw up war plans![/QUOTE]

They didn't have to...they have a website: [url]http://www.newamericancentury.org/[/url]

All League
    Is it any surprise that you increase the size of possibly the best fighting force on earth by about 35% (just a guess, I don't know the actual troop increase and the troop level before) that fighting is then decreased? I'm glad it's working, and less of our fine men and women are being hurt or killed every day.

Unfortunaetly, it seems to me like we'll need to maintain this troop level indefinately. Does anyone really think anything we (the U.S.) can do will make Sunni and Shia get along within the next few years? Doubt it, so we'll be there policing for a long, long time.