Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankees and Mets homegrown talent

Yankees and Mets homegrown talent

Projected Yankees and Mets lineups and rotations.

Yankees

C- Posada (Homegrown)
    1B-
    Giambi (FA from Oakland)/Duncan (Homegrown)
    2B- Cano (Homegrown)
    3B- Rodriguez (Trade w/ Texas)
    SS- Jeter (Homegrown)
    LF- Damon (FA from Boston)
    CF- Cabrera (Homegrown)
    RF- Abreu (Trade w/ Philadelphia)
    DH- Matsui (Japan)

1. Wang (Homegrow)
    2. Pettitte (Homegrown)
    3. Hughes (Homegrown)
    4. Chamberlain (Homegrown)
    5. Kennedy (Homegrown)
    /Mussina (FA from Baltimore)

CL- Rivera (Homegrown)

Mets

C- Brian Schneider (Trade w/ Washington)/ Castro (FA from Florida)
    1B-
    Delgado (Trade w/ Marlins)
    2B- Castillo (Trade w/ Minnesota)
    3B- Wright (Homegrown)
    SS- Reyes (Homegrown)
    LF- Alou (FA from San Fransisco)
    CF- Beltran (FA from Houston)
    RF- Church (Trade w/ Washington)

1. Santana (Trade w/ Minnesota)
    2. Martinez (FA from Boston)
    3. Perez (Trade w/ Pittsburgh)
    4. Maine (Trade w/ Baltimore)
    5. Hernandez (Trade w/ Arizona)
    /Pelfrey(Homegrown)

CL- Wagner (FA from Philadelphia)

Interesting, Mets need to draft and scout better.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 03-01-2008 at 04:20 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post

Wow, when did the Mets trade for Cano?

Seriously though, I look at it two ways....you either use your farm to replenish your ML roster directly, or to trade for guys who will replenish your ML roster. While they might not have a ton of 'Homegrown' talent, the 'Homegrown' talent brought in Delgado, Castillo, Church, Schneider, and Santana, and Maine and Perez were also acquired through trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Wow, when did the Mets trade for Cano?

Seriously though, I look at it two ways....you either use your farm to replenish your ML roster directly, or to trade for guys who will replenish your ML roster. While they might not have a ton of 'Homegrown' talent, the 'Homegrown' talent brought in Delgado, Castillo, Church, Schneider, and Santana, and Maine and Perez were also acquired through trades.
    LOL. ****! Which makes me think, where would Cano bat in your lineup?

BTW...Good points. Thats what your farm system is for.

LOL. ****! Which makes me think, where would Cano bat in your lineup?

BTW...Good points. Thats what your farm system is for.
    I'd probably put Cano second, personally. He doesn't walk alot, but I think he'll hit for a high enough average it wouldn't matter.

I'd probably put Cano second, personally. He doesn't walk alot, but I think he'll hit for a high enough average it wouldn't matter.
    Reyes, Cano, Wright.... dangerous.

Who cares, they don't award championships to teams with the most homegrown players. I'd rather have Santana than 4 prospects anyday.

You can't call Pettitte homegrown, he was a FA from Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3 View Post
    Who cares, they don't award championships to teams with the most homegrown players. I'd rather have Santana than 4 prospects anyday.

Than I wonder why people use to say we "bought championships"... seemed to care than.

and sure we can... he was developed by the Yankees.

Being honest, I don't consider people like Reyes, Cano, or Wang homegrown. They were bought international talent where the teams used their heavy financial advantage to acquire. How is it any different then Matsui except that they spent a couple years in the farm first?

Being honest, I don't consider people like Reyes, Cano, or Wang homegrown. They were bought international talent where the teams used their heavy financial advantage to acquire. How is it any different then Matsui except that they spent a couple years in the farm first?
    You're right, I was considering making a note on that before doing the thread, but the same happens in the draft. HS kids decide to go pro right out of HS instead of going to college when big bucks are offered, and college kids decide to forfeit there sophomore, junior, or senior year for money. Yankees got a lot of kids who where expected to go to big baseball schools to sign because they paid for them. Like Austin Romine and Carmen Angelini (Both had full rides to Rice) and even Derek Jeter. Michigan was all over him.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 03-01-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Than I wonder why people use to say we "bought championships"... seemed to care than.

and sure we can... he was developed by the Yankees.
    I don't think you can "buy" a championship, but it helps when you can dish out lots of cash to keep your hometown guys like Jeter, Posada, Rivera, etc. When teams like the Twins and A's can't.

Pettitte was a FA acquisition.

I don't think you can "buy" a championship, but it helps when you can dish out lots of cash to keep your hometown guys like Jeter, Posada, Rivera, etc. When teams like the Twins and A's can't.

Pettitte was a FA acquisition.
    Pettitte was also developed by the Yankees before he went to Houston, thus he is homegrown.

Mike Lowell... was also a homegrown, developed by the Yankees.

Also, who was the last player the Mets lost to free agency?

hmm its weird how your in depth analysis ended up in a shot at the mets....i would never expect that! weird.....

Isn't it hilarious how this is so important to SR now that the Yanks have become divisional round fodder. Also, Cano and Wang were International signings. Not quite the same as homegrown.

Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Isn't it hilarious how this is so important to SR now that the Yanks have become divisional round fodder. Also, Cano and Wang were International signings. Not quite the same as homegrown.
    Keep reading the thread, we covered all this.

Keep reading the thread, we covered all this.

Doesn't change the fact that it was yet another childish jab at the Mets.
    Stick to defending Roger Roider.

Doesn't change the fact that it was yet another childish jab at the Mets.
    Stick to defending Roger Roider.
    So you don't think the Mets have to draft/scout better? Because that was the point of the thread.

So you don't think the Mets have to draft/scout better? Because that was the point of the thread.
    LOL. yeah i am sure that was your point. Grow up.

Anyway, Reyes and Wright are better than any prospect you can list on the Yankees.
    Our other prospects also enabled us to land Johan Santana and I wouldn't quit on Pelfrey just yet. Is it time to restock? Sure, but let's not act like our farm hasn't produced superstars in Reyes and Wright.

LOL. yeah i am sure that was your point. Grow up.

Anyway, Reyes and Wright are better than any prospect you can list on the Yankees.
    Our other prospects also enabled us to land Johan Santana and I wouldn't quit on Pelfrey just yet. Is it time to restock? Sure, but let's not act like our farm hasn't produced superstars in Reyes and Wright.

What is up with you? Grow up? What is wrong with this thread? Hit a nerve?

Also the Yankees and Red Sox let Santana go to the Mets, and you know it...and Pelfrey, kids got a high ceiling, needs to to establish a reliable breaking ball first, but if he does... he can turn into something good. Great fastball, good change up.

Prospects? No crap. Reyes and Wright aren't prospects, they are established major leaguers, or where you talking about home grown players? Well I disagree. Jeter and Rivera are Hall of Famers.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 03-01-2008 at 05:25 PM.

Many of the trades Id consider homegrown talent. When you bring back guys like Maine, Perez, Church, etc...I consider them legit baseball trades and, for the most part, "my guys". Highest bidder trades(Santana) and signings (Beltran) are rarely looked at as "my guys". Even though Im all for the Santana move its these types of moves that have really hurt my love of baseball these last few years.