Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama plans to pick Republicans for cabinet

All Pro

Obama plans to pick Republicans for cabinet

[QUOTE]AS Barack Obama enters the final stages of the fight for the Democratic presidential nomination, he is preparing to detach the core voters of John McCain, the likely Republican nominee, with the same ruthless determination with which he has peeled off Hillary Clinton’s supporters.

The scene is set for a tussle between the two candidates for the support of some of the sharpest and most independent minds in politics. Obama is hoping to appoint cross-party figures to his cabinet such as Chuck Hagel, the Republican senator for Nebraska and an opponent of the Iraq war, and Richard Lugar, leader of the Republicans on the Senate foreign relations committee.

...[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article3466823.ece"]http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article3466823.ece[/URL]

It's always encouraging to see a politician willing to cross over party lines. Obama is distancing himself from a "business as usual" Washington image and seems to have the right attitude in taking the country in a new direction.

we're on the same page on this one. I posted this article earlier today. how nice to see a president who doesn't practice a 'scorthed-earth' policy to politics and governing.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2403940]we're on the same page on this one. I posted this article earlier today. how nice to see a president who doesn't practice a 'scorthed-earth' policy to politics and governing.[/QUOTE]

President? A little presumptuous, aren't you?

I would love to see Obama appoint a free-trade, free-market, responsible spending fiscal conservative to the Treasury or Commerce. That would swing my vote, even though it would go against his flawed economic policies.

All Pro
    Still hoping O'Bama puts Jim Webb on his ticket..No way McCain can argue the Iraq argument with this guys military backround and son serving in Iraq.

Veteran
    Lugar and Hagel are two of the most respected, intelligent public servants we have... very happy to hear this. Obama has had a strong relationship with Lugar for a while now.

Rookie
    Pick the best people for the Jobs,remember we are all Americans!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=bigalbarracuda;2404327]Lugar and Hagel are two of the most respected, intelligent public servants we have... very happy to hear this. Obama has had a strong relationship with Lugar for a while now.[/QUOTE]

Obama and Lugar worked on a loose-nukes bill together, fwiw.

I sort of suspect we'd see Democrats in McCain's cabinet as well. Nice to have two candidates willing to work across the aisle, for a change.

[QUOTE=parafly;2403779]It's always encouraging to see a politician willing to cross over party lines. Obama is distancing himself from a "business as usual" Washington image and seems to have the right attitude in taking the country in a new direction.[/QUOTE]
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Obama's main asset is that he's spent only two years in Washington. Scratch that, he spent one year in Washington and the other year running for President (with his office in Washington).

It's going to be fascinating to watch if he can complete this end-around he's attempting. I'd think, at some point, he's going to have to explain himself. Because right now, all he's fully nailed down is the moveon base - who won't question the most liberal rated senator on anything.

Wow, for politcs-followers, some of you guys get all google-eyes and naive when your guy starts doing well.

If you think for a milisecond this is anything more than a grab for Moderate and Conservative (McCain-Hater) voters, you're kidding yourself. This is pandering in the most obvious way possible.

Obama has no plan to "work accross the isle". Lawl at silly naiveity.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Warfish;2404447]Obama has no plan to "work accross the isle". Lawl at silly naiveity.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I agree.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2404447]Wow, for politcs-followers, some of you guys get all google-eyes and naive when your guy starts doing well.

If you think for a milisecond this is anything more than a grab for Moderate and Conservative (McCain-Hater) voters, you're kidding yourself. This is pandering in the most obvious way possible.

Obama has no plan to "work accross the isle". Lawl at silly naiveity.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Fish,

It's not like this sort of thing is unprecedented. It's routine. Even Bush kept one Democrat in his cabinet (Norm Minetta, sec of transportation).

I'd be shocked if either Obama or McCain didn't have at least one --and probably more than one-- member of the other party in their cabinet. Historically, it would be strange not to.

[QUOTE=parafly;2403779][URL="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article3466823.ece"]http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article3466823.ece[/URL]

It's always encouraging to see a politician willing to cross over party lines. Obama is distancing himself from a "business as usual" Washington image and seems to have the right attitude in taking the country in a new direction.[/QUOTE]

lol!! Yes Obama has come down from the heavens to save the Earth. It's amazing the free pass this guy gets from the media. Picking Republicans for his cabinet, what a joke. Guy has the most Liberal voting record in the Senate, has done NOTHING of any value, yet now he is annointed as the leader of the free world. Unbelievable!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2404447]Obama has no plan to "work accross the isle".[/QUOTE]

And you know this how...?

All League
    [QUOTE=2009fatman;2404276]Still hoping O'Bama puts Jim Webb on his ticket..No way McCain can argue the Iraq argument with this guys military backround and son serving in Iraq.[/QUOTE]

What's so attractive about Webb? He only won his Senate seat because his opponent made one of the stupidest mistakes in campaign history. He doesn't need someone on the ticket that also has limited experience.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2404725]And you know this how...?[/QUOTE]

Past history.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2404447]Wow, for politcs-followers, some of you guys get all google-eyes and naive when your guy starts doing well.

Obama has no plan to "work accross the isle". Lawl at silly naiveity.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

feel free to enter evidence that he will not do this..............................................................................................................................................

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2404846]feel free to enter evidence that he will not do this..............................................................................................................................................[/QUOTE]

Barack Obama has voted with a majority of his Democratic colleagues 96.5% of the time during the current Congress.

[QUOTE=Company_Man;2404913]Barack Obama has voted with a majority of his Democratic colleagues 96.5% of the time during the current Congress.[/QUOTE]

so that [B]proves[/B], without a doubt, that Obama will go back on his promise to appoint these republican politicans to his cabinet. This despite that he shares a friendship with them.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2404924]so that [B]proves[/B], without a doubt, that Obama will go back on his promise to appoint these republican politicans to his cabinet. This despite that he shares a friendship with them.[/QUOTE]

I admit up front, I have no "proof" whatsoever that Obama would not work "accross the aisle" or indeed would appoint a few token Republicans, and maybe even Conservative ones, to positions. That is the game of Politics.

But I doubt he will. And I doubt he will suddenly be a moderate, when his poitions and voting record show him as exceptionally liberal. Republicans in his cabinet will not somehow change that.

I think you missed my point, I don't doubt he might appoint a Repub. I just doubt that that appointment will have any meaning, policy wise, whatsoever.