Thread: Straw hired as a full time Mets instructor

Straw hired as a full time Mets instructor

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...

Darryl Strawberry will join the Mets this season in a variety of roles, including ‘community outreach.’

Starting today, he will be in camp this week as a special instructor.

…he is scheduled to speak with reporters later this morning, so i am sure the beat writers will be posting those quotes sooner than later…hopefully i will have a chance to meet him and do a quick Q&A later in the day…
    Nice... I wish I did get to see Straw play in a Mets uniform other then the few games from 1986 SNY shows.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Nice... I wish I did get to see Straw play in a Mets uniform other then the few games from 1986 SNY shows.
    What can he instruct? He was a horrible outfielder who had a great, God given swing, but wasn't really known for his work ethic. I mean I can think of 60 drug related things he can help a young player with, but I won't get into that.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    What can he instruct? He was a horrible outfielder who had a great, God given swing, but wasn't really known for his work ethic. I mean I can think of 60 drug related things he can help a young player with, but I won't get into that.
    He's was an amazing hitter, who ruined his career, seems like he turned his life around. George Steinbrenner never lost faith in him. I would put his locker right next to Fernando Martinez.

I wonder if he can still play... rotate him with Alou for the "ageless LF platoon" haha

Hall Of Fame

Straw hired as a full time Mets instructor

This is in between court appearances, right ??

All League
    If they don't know how to snort the Devil's Dandruff by now, an instructor won't help any.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    He's was an amazing hitter, who ruined his career, seems like he turned his life around. George Steinbrenner never lost faith in him. I would put his locker right next to Fernando Martinez.
    He was an amazing hitter who got by on more natural talent than almost any other player has ever been blessed with. With minimal effort he should have been a first ballot HOF. He can teach young players the dangers of drug use, but I don't think he can do any meaningful instructing on the game itself.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    He was an amazing hitter who got by on more natural talent than almost any other player has ever been blessed with. With minimal effort he should have been a first ballot HOF. He can teach young players the dangers of drug use, but I don't think he can do any meaningful instructing on the game itself.
    How would you know?

He obviously a wasted a boatload of talent. It's a damn shame. But I admire people who come back from huge mistakes. And it doesn't mean he doesn't know the game.