Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mets shopping 2 relievers, Olney 1st base ideas

Mets shopping 2 relievers, Olney 1st base ideas

..posted by Brandon Eddy...

In his blog for ESPN.com, Buster Olney writes that while the Mets are saying the hip injury to Carlos Delgado is not serious, they need to add someone who could play first base on a regular basis - if necessary.

Olney lists some of the possible candidates as:

1. Nick Johnson, Nationals
    2. Scott Hatteberg, Reds
    3. Richie Sexson, Mariners
    4. Tony Clark, Padres
    5. Kevin Millar, Orioles
    I'd love to pick up Nick Johnson or Kevin Millar especially Nick....

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...

According to Adam Rubin in the Daily News, the Mets are shopping Scott Schoeneweis and Jorge Sosa.

In addition to considering several reasons why the team is looking to move the two relief picthers, while projecting what the pitching staff will look like if they do, Rubin writes:

“I wonder, too, if the Mets might relent and actually put El Duque in the bullpen. They’ve adamantly said no, and Hernandez has said he doesn’t intend to be there, but maybe his foot will only allow him to pitch shorter spurts.”
    I'd rather trade Sosa then the Show who is actually very effective against lefties.

I don't mind moving Show if we can. With Sanchez back to handle the 8th Inning (Or so we hope) we can use Feliciano in the spots intended for a LOOGY.

Most likely though is that they're looking to create a hole to sign Lohse and move El Duque to the pen, as he's proven to be completely unreliable.

I like Tony Clark, guy can mash, and has a good glove, but Hatteberg would be ideal.

Lohse? Hell no, I believe Pelfrey is going to win the #5 rotation spot.

I like lohse but no way would I sign him over pitching pelfrey.

We also need to look to move Gotay. I mean he was good last year but I wouldnt mind trading him and one of those relievers for a 1st basemen.

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post

I like lohse but no way would I sign him over pitching pelfrey.

We also need to look to move Gotay. I mean he was good last year but I wouldnt mind trading him and one of those relievers for a 1st basemen.
    Lohse is crap, have to let Pelfrey earn a spot.

I don't mind any of those 1st base options. Just as long as they don't go get Matt Stairs. I would like Clark more than any of the others though.

Show is more expendable now that Matt Wise is in the fold. He is very effective vs lefties so keeping Show because he's a lefty isn't worth it.

Pelfrey has done NOTHING to earn the job, and I'm not comfterable going into next season with Pelfrey as the number 5 and El Duque being the only source of quality depth for the rotation as who knows if he can even go on any given day anymore.

Like it or not, Pelf starts in AAA until he is needed or proves to be so good that we have no other choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Pelfrey has done NOTHING to earn the job, and I'm not comfterable going into next season with Pelfrey as the number 5 and El Duque being the only source of quality depth for the rotation as who knows if he can even go on any given day anymore.

Like it or not, Pelf starts in AAA until he is needed or proves to be so good that we have no other choice.
    Pelfrey is starting today, on SNY, just started. If he does make the team, it's because he performed in ST.

I'd love to pick up Nick Johnson or Kevin Millar especially Nick....

I'd rather trade Sosa then the Show who is actually very effective against lefties.
    I'd love to have Tony the Tiger back in a Mets uniform. He's a very underrated defensive player and a decent power bat.

I'd hate to lose Sosa. He's a good insurance policy in case two starters went down for a significant amount of time.

Pelf's sinker and slider look good.

Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post
    I'd love to have Tony the Tiger back in a Mets uniform. He's a very underrated defensive player and a decent power bat.

I'd hate to lose Sosa. He's a good insurance policy in case two starters went down for a significant amount of time.
    Last time we saw. He had like 5 good starts then after that he was god awful starting. His stuff is good but when guys get on base, oh man does he crumble.

Pelfrey looked great. His fastball is real good, lots sink and late life. If he never develops reliable a breaking pitch, I would think about putting him in the bullpen. With his sinking fastball and change up, he could be a great closer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Pelfrey looked great. His fastball is real good, lots sink and late life. If he never develops reliable a breaking pitch, I would think about putting him in the bullpen. With his sinking fastball and change up, he could be a great closer.
    Promising to hear that he has started strong. He was pretty damn good last Spring Training too though, so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    No thanks.

Damn, FMart just hit a rocket but nice snag by Teix.

Terrible range by Hernandez right there. Pelfrey breaking bat after bat.

No thanks.

Damn, FMart just hit a rocket but nice snag by Teix.
    If he can't develop his slider.. he's not going to be as good as you want him to be. You need 3 reliable pitches.

Damn... Fernando Martinez is a 19 year old "hitting machine"

Damn... Fernando Martinez is a 19 year old "hitting machine"
    Seeng eye single, relax....

JK

Great catch Fernando!

I gotta admit, I know it's spring training, but I feel suprisingly comfterable with our bullpen depth. The First 5 spots are pretty set with Wagner, Feliciano, Sanchez, Heilman, and Wise......then you got Sosa and Schoeneweis penciled into 6 and 7 right now. But Register's got nice stuff and could stick as a Rule 5 guy, Padilla is healthy again and while he gave up a run today it wasn't really his fault, Nelson Figueroa seems like a good canidate for a long man. You still have guys like Joe Smith, Brian Stokes, Willie Collazo, Ricardo Rincon, and Carlos Muniz who could emerge.....and on top of that Eddie Kunz and Brant Rustich might get some time over the second half if the above options haven't panned out.

Heyman talked about a rumor on WFAN where the Mets are talking about a Jorge Sosa for Marcus Thames swap and I'm thinking that'd be a pretty good move to address a weakness from what is potentially an area of strength.