Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally, the press (momentarily?) demanding some answers from Obama

Finally, the press (momentarily?) demanding some answers from Obama

I found this to be an [url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/03/AR2008030302769.html"]entertaining read.[/url]

[I]The day before primaries in Ohio and Texas that could effectively seal the Democratic presidential nomination for him,[B] a smiling Obama strode out to a news conference at a veterans facility here. But the grin was quickly replaced by the surprised look of a man bitten by his own dog. [/B]

Reporters from the Associated Press and Reuters went after him for his false denial that a campaign aide had held a secret meeting with Canadian officials over Obama's trade policy. A trio of Chicago reporters pummeled him with questions about the corruption trial this week of a friend and supporter. The New York Post piled on with a question about him losing the Jewish vote.

Obama responded with the classic phrases of a politician in trouble. "That was the information that I had at the time. . . . Those charges are completely unrelated to me. . . . I have said that that was a mistake. . . . The fact pattern remains unchanged."

[B]When those failed, Obama tried another approach. "We're running late," the candidate said, and then he disappeared behind a curtain. [/B]

Before he beat his hasty retreat, however, Obama found time to assign blame for the tough questions suddenly coming his way. "The Clinton campaign has been true to its word in employing a 'kitchen sink' strategy," he protested. "There are, what, three or four things a day?"

Spoken like a man who had just been hit on the head with a heavy piece of porcelain. [/I]

Hussein and Hill would never make it as Republicans.

A certain amount of backlash was inevitable after the run he's had.

Might as well happen now, while he has a reasonably comfortable delegate lead and out in front of whatever happens next.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2409972]A certain amount of backlash was inevitable after the run he's had.

Might as well happen now, while he has a reasonably comfortable delegate lead and out in front of whatever happens next.[/QUOTE]

The polls are showing back lash too..

I think Clinton wins this thing personally..

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2409972]A certain amount of backlash was inevitable after the run he's had.

Might as well happen now, while he has a reasonably comfortable delegate lead and out in front of whatever happens next.[/QUOTE]
    Backlash? Try legitimate issues. You might dismiss them, but not everybody is as enthralled with Obama as you. Kerik was an albatross around Rudy's neck. Think about what Rezko will do to Obama - and he's not a minion of Obama, but a key moneyman. Good luck with that.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=CTM;2409979]I think Clinton wins this thing personally..[/QUOTE]

Of course...she has Ailes and Murdoch's support. It's in the bag...

How dare anyone question Obama! :rolleyes:

[IMG]http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2008/02/25/image3875380g.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2410080]Of course...she has Ailes and Murdoch's support. It's in the bag...[/QUOTE]

Are you suggesting there's a vast right wing conspiracy against Hussein?

Where's that nut Press Coverage when we need him to enlighten us?

[QUOTE=CTM;2409979]The polls are showing back lash too..

I think Clinton wins this thing personally..[/QUOTE]
    I disagree. What does he have now, 11 states won in a row? How could a former frontrunner blunt that momentum? Jeff Gilooly, anyone?

Veteran
    :zzz::zzz::zzz:

[QUOTE=sackdance;2409983]Backlash? Try legitimate issues. You might dismiss them, but not everybody is as enthralled with Obama as you. Kerik was an albatross around Rudy's neck. Think about what Rezko will do to Obama - and he's not a minion of Obama, but a key moneyman. Good luck with that.[/QUOTE]

Rezko is hardly Bernie Kerik.

Kerik killed Rudy because (1) he was his police commish despite mob ties and (2) Rudy rec'd him to run a key national security post.

Rezko was a fundraiser for Obama and many others. (Obama was not even close to his biggest client, which was Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich.) It's not like he put him in some sort of sensitive government job. Political fundraisers are sketchy people. Bush's biggest career moneyman was Ken Lay, for god's sake, and that didn't exactly kill his career.

Hall Of Fame
    Obama is past this type of petty politics-as-usual. He's post-partisan. He wouldn't say one thing to one audience and then a completely different thing to another and then try to spin it all afterwards. That's what old school politicians do. Not Obama. Anyone who dare suggests that he's a typical run of the mill politician either hates black people or is too partisan themselves.

[QUOTE=CTM;2409979]The polls are showing back lash too..

I think Clinton wins this thing personally..[/QUOTE]

Her problem is it is a longshot for her to finish with more delegates or popular votes --even if you count Florida and Michigan-- and, if she doesn't lead in either of those measures, there's no way she can legitimately claim the nomination. In fact, the delegate race is basically already over and won by Obama.

Her best argument would be to catch him in popular votes, which may be possible if you include Florida and Michigan. But it's still a longshot: If she can blow him out in Ohio, win narrowly in Texas and win handily in Pennsylvania, she has a shot at closing the popular vote gap (but not total delegates.) The problem is she's likely going to lose handily in NC in the race after that, which would blunt whatever momentum she could claim and likely give Obama another delegate boost.

At the end of the day, Obama's argument is going to be math: He's going to have more delegates and he's probably going to have more votes.

Hillary's argument is going to be more intangible: That she won most of the big states.

I don't think her argument is very compelling, because it seems to imply that only she can hold Mass, California or NY, which is absurd.

Now, if she wins Ohio, she will point to that (and to New Mexico, and to "Florida") as a swing state victory. Obama will counter with Missouri, Minnesota, Colorado, Iowa and Virginia, which are also regarded swing states this year, making the point moot.

All League
    [QUOTE=jets5ever;2410137]Obama is past this type of petty politics-as-usual. He's post-partisan. He wouldn't say one thing to one audience and then a completely different thing to another and then try to spin it all afterwards. [B]That's what old school politicians do. Not Obama. Anyone who dare suggests that he's a typical run of the mill politician either hates black people or is too partisan themselves.[/B][/QUOTE]

WOW!:eek:

Take off the blinders. I'm still gaging my position on ALL THE CANDIDATES (not registered to a party), but this has to be the Stupidest and most ignorant post I've READ on this board. Congrats for taking the cake. :yes:

5ever is being sarcastic

what he and the other Gop'ers aren't admitting is the whole reason we are at this cross roads is because of 8 years of bush. After such a display, the voters will take anyone who says the right things.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Gas2No99;2410194]WOW!:eek:

Take off the blinders. I'm still gaging my position on ALL THE CANDIDATES (not registered to a party), but this has to be the Stupidest and most ignorant post I've READ on this board. Congrats for taking the cake. :yes:[/QUOTE]

[B]sarcasm [/B]

A form of irony in which apparent praise conceals another, scornful meaning. For example, a sarcastic remark directed at a person who consistently arrives fifteen minutes late for appointments might be, “Oh, you've arrived exactly on time!”

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2410218]5ever is being sarcastic

what he and the other Gop'ers aren't admitting is the whole reason we are at this cross roads is because of 8 years of bush. After such a display, the voters will take anyone who says the right things.[/QUOTE]

Of course we admit it. Duh.

Bush has been possably the worst representative of Conservativism and America we have ever seen. His gorss inabillity to speak more than three words without screwing it up is....frankly....stunning in this day and age.

And lets be honest Bit, we only got Bush because of CLINTON and his corruption and scandal ridden 8 years. And we got Clinton because Bush I was just bad, in a boring, uninspiring, powerless, poor-speaking and do-nothing kind of way (outside Gulf War I).

The last few admin's have been a bad trend, and it's not heading anywhere better sadly.

But really Bit, do you REALLY think most Republicans are truly pleased with the Bush Era? Only the true partisan hacks are, the real Conservatives are not.

All League
    My fault if that was sarcasm:O

I have run into some Obama-obsessives, and let me tell you, talk about blind followers! I've heard the race-card pulled a few times by Obama supporters and I just found it sad that THAT was their argument and rationale if you didn't support the guy.

Once again, my bad!:)

[QUOTE=Warfish;2410241]
    The last few admin's have been a bad trend, and it's not heading anywhere better sadly. [/QUOTE]

obama will be better - he can't be worse

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jets5ever;2410137]Obama is past this type of petty politics-as-usual. He's post-partisan. He wouldn't say one thing to one audience and then a completely different thing to another and then try to spin it all afterwards. That's what old school politicians do. Not Obama. Anyone who dare suggests that he's a typical run of the mill politician either hates black people or is too partisan themselves.[/QUOTE]

"post-partisan"....gotta love it!!!