Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama's Earmarks Request for the last budget: Over 320 Million

Obama's Earmarks Request for the last budget: Over 320 Million

Big govt. as usual! Some change :rolleyes:

[URL]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/11/AR2007101101573.html?hpid=topnews[/URL]

Over 320 Million!

[QUOTE=angry jets fan;2410887]Big govt. as usual! Some change :rolleyes:

[URL]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/11/AR2007101101573.html?hpid=topnews[/URL]

Over 320 Million![/QUOTE]

Wow. I wonder what the other 99 Senators pork lists look like. It must add up to alot of money. Remember this when our taxes get raised (again).:steamin:

so 320 million what's that? like 8 hours of Iraq operation?

All Pro
    Obama is the anti-Christ. Investing in America...that's just pure evil.

Supposedly McCain's request were ZERO (or close to that)

[quote=Company_Man;2410891]Wow. I wonder what the other 99 Senators pork lists look like. It must add up to alot of money. Remember this when our taxes get raised (again).:steamin:[/quote]

I am sorry to question Obama's RECORD ... I knew that isn't allowed but did it anyway :P

[quote=parafly;2410916]Obama is the anti-Christ. Investing in America...that's just pure evil.[/quote]

[QUOTE=bitonti;2410908]so 320 million what's that? like 8 hours of Iraq operation?[/QUOTE]

Does wasted money on a War make wasted money on pork ok?

[QUOTE=angry jets fan;2410931]I am sorry to question Obama's RECORD ... I knew that isn't allowed but did it anyway :P[/QUOTE]

Racist....

[QUOTE=angry jets fan;2410931]I am sorry to question Obama's RECORD ... I knew that isn't allowed but did it anyway :P[/QUOTE]

SPEAKETH NOT HIS MIDDLE NAME!!!

All Pro

I must admit, at least this has merit.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2410934]Does wasted money on a War make wasted money on pork ok?[/QUOTE]

Does it really all go to waste though? No matter how much you hate earmarks, you must admit that they are beneficial in some ways. What better way to invest in our country than to create jobs and recirculate money back into our economy?

Sure as hell beats paying for universal health care for Iraqis.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2410934]Does wasted money on a War make wasted money on pork ok?[/QUOTE]

Is it wasted money? Look at the projects. There are no bridges to nowhere in there.

Obama, for his part, has not talked about ending earmarks. He has talked about making them more transparent and ending anonymous earmarks. (His ethics bill created the first searchable database of earmarks, making it possible to see lists like this one from any senator or congressman.)

I'd be interested to see where he stacks up among all senators. Hard to derive much from this without that context.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2410970]... Hard to derive much from this without that context...[/QUOTE]

Bingo

For most recent budget

Hillary Clinton requested 340 Million
    Barack Obama requested 320 Million
    John McCain requested ZERO

McCain and one of the other two (Hillary or Barack) will be on the ballot for President in November.!

[quote=nuu faaola;2410970]Is it wasted money? Look at the projects. There are no bridges to nowhere in there.

Obama, for his part, has not talked about ending earmarks. He has talked about making them more transparent and ending anonymous earmarks. (His ethics bill created the first searchable database of earmarks, making it possible to see lists like this one from any senator or congressman.)

I'd be interested to see where he stacks up among all senators. Hard to derive much from this without that context.[/quote]

[QUOTE=angry jets fan;2410984]For most recent budget

McCain and one of the other two (Hillary or Barack) will be on the ballot for President in November.![/QUOTE]

That's one heckuva point you just made. :yes:

So Obama is the only Senator in History to have only important and rightious earmarks, and I am a cretin for even suggesting any of them may not be the best use of taxpayer money?

And anyway, why care, we're wasting billions on the War. Right?

Partisanship is so hard to get past some days, isn't it?

[QUOTE=parafly;2410956]Does it really all go to waste though? No matter how much you hate earmarks, you must admit that they are beneficial in some ways. What better way to invest in our country than to create jobs and recirculate money back into our economy?

Sure as hell beats paying for universal health care for Iraqis.[/QUOTE]

When did earmarks turn into "Investment in America"???

Sure as hell beats paying for universal healthcare for americans too :D

Veteran
    The money we're spending on this war is excessive and we need to practice some sort of fiscal responsibility here. McCain, while a pro-war/pro-military spender, actually has the right idea on some levels. Reducing the corporate tax from 35% to 25% will make the U.S. more competitive when it comes to retaining jobs that are fleeing to more tax and wage friendly locations. We currently have the 3rd highest tax rate among industrialized nations and THAT is what's holding us back, not globalization in general, as Obama would argue. Protectionism will get us nowhere. Obama instead bashes the corporations. Yes, the very corporations that many of his supporters work for. Increase taxes on corporations if you want, but don't expect jobs to remain when Joe CEO needs to meet his earnings expectations.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jetfan_Johnny;2410996]When did earmarks turn into "Investment in America"???[/QUOTE]

When looked at objectively. :P

In all seriousness, some earmarks are a complete waste and some are very useful, stimulate the economy, and create jobs.

[QUOTE=angry jets fan;2410984]For most recent budget

McCain and one of the other two (Hillary or Barack) will be on the ballot for President in November.![/QUOTE]

OK, so if you think not requesting earmarks is the most important attribute in a presidential candidate, McCain is your man.

(Worth noting: I didn't see any howls of protest from you when the GOP was making the earmark requests of Clinton and Obama look like chump change.)

I personally don't have a big problem with earmarks, so long as they are not anonymous. I want to know what they are for and who asked for them, so that if they are questionable the offficial in question can be held accountable for them.

Obama passed a law basically ending anonymous earmarks. That was a major reform and a major reason we can have discussions like this one today.