Thread: Obama changed vote on war funding

Obama changed vote on war funding

I think we have another John "I voted for the funding after I didn't vote for the funding" Kerry:

Obama Changed Position on War Funding
    Democratic Presidential Contender Opposed War Funding in 2003 but Has Voted Four Times for Funding in Senate By JAKE TAPPER and JONATHAN GREENBERGER
    March 21, 2007

Share In a conference call with reporters Wednesday, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., said that[B] his votes to fund the war in Iraq do not contradict his opposition to the war. [/B]

Obama's Iraq War Record"Once we were in, we were going to have some responsibility to try to make it work as best we can," the presidential candidate said. "More importantly, you make sure the troops are supported. I don't think there's any contradiction there whatsoever. We should not get in; once we were in, we had to make the best of a bad situation."

There isn't necessarily a contradiction in this position; other opponents of the war vote to fund the troops so as to ensure they're as safe as possible. [B]But there certainly seems a contradiction between this view of war funding and Obama's view just a few years ago, after the war in Iraq had been raging for more than six months.[/B]

In video obtained by ABC News of a Winnetka, Ill., Democratic event from Sunday, Nov. 16, 2003, [B]then-state senator Obama told a cheering crowd that it was wrong to vote to fund the war. [/B]

"Just this week, when I was asked, would I have voted for the $87 billion dollars, I said 'No,'" Obama said to applause as he referred to a bill to fund troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"I said no unequivocally because, at a certain point, we have to say 'No' to George Bush," Obama said. "If we keep on getting steamrolled, we are not going to stand a chance."

Obama's campaign says that he opposed the $87 billion war supplement because a portion of the funds were to be directed toward reconstruction of Iraq, which he feared would be distributed inappropriately.

"He was against this $20 billion in no-bid contracts that was forced into the bill for reconstruction for the country of Iraq with no accountability," said Obama spokesman Bill Burton.

In a questionnaire he completed for the liberal group Council for a Livable World and in a 2003 press release he issued as a state senator, Obama suggested the Congress delay the $87 billion in funding "until the president provides a specific plan and timetable for ending the U.S. occupation, justifies each and every dollar to ensure it is not going to reward Bush political friends and contributors, and provides 'investment in our own schools, health care, economic development and job creation that is at least comparable' to what is going to Iraq."

More:

[url]http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=2970930[/url]
    Last edited by Company_Man; 03-04-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Hardly.

There is a difference between opposing the starting of a war, and then pulling funds from troops who are already in combat.

Obama didn't want the troops there, but they went anyway. So he was left with a choice of giving troops in harms way resources, or taking those resources away from troops in harm's way.

He voted responsibly.

Jets Insider VIP
    Wow. Your one man anti-Obama campaign is starting to gain traction...

[SIZE="1"]The whisper is getting louder[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2411045]Wow. Your one man anti-Obama campaign is starting to gain traction...

[SIZE="1"]The whisper is getting louder[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Actually Obama is taking alot of hits today. It's about time. :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Company_Man;2411063]Actually Obama is taking alot of hits today. It's about time. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Indeed. If this keeps up Mike Gravel might actually have a shot!

[QUOTE=Company_Man;2411063]Actually Obama is taking alot of hits today. It's about time. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Clearly the result of all the articles about his wife's senior thesis you posted on this Jets message board.

yeah right the man is like teflon

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Company_Man;2411018]I think we have another John "I voted for the funding after I didn't vote for the funding" Kerry:

Obama Changed Position on War Funding
    Democratic Presidential Contender Opposed War Funding in 2003 but Has Voted Four Times for Funding in Senate By JAKE TAPPER and JONATHAN GREENBERGER
    March 21, 2007

Share In a conference call with reporters Wednesday, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., said that[B] his votes to fund the war in Iraq do not contradict his opposition to the war. [/B]

Obama's Iraq War Record"Once we were in, we were going to have some responsibility to try to make it work as best we can," the presidential candidate said. "More importantly, you make sure the troops are supported. I don't think there's any contradiction there whatsoever. We should not get in; once we were in, we had to make the best of a bad situation."

There isn't necessarily a contradiction in this position; other opponents of the war vote to fund the troops so as to ensure they're as safe as possible. [B]But there certainly seems a contradiction between this view of war funding and Obama's view just a few years ago, after the war in Iraq had been raging for more than six months.[/B]

In video obtained by ABC News of a Winnetka, Ill., Democratic event from Sunday, Nov. 16, 2003, [B]then-state senator Obama told a cheering crowd that it was wrong to vote to fund the war. [/B]

"Just this week, when I was asked, would I have voted for the $87 billion dollars, I said 'No,'" Obama said to applause as he referred to a bill to fund troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"I said no unequivocally because, at a certain point, we have to say 'No' to George Bush," Obama said. "If we keep on getting steamrolled, we are not going to stand a chance."

Obama's campaign says that he opposed the $87 billion war supplement because a portion of the funds were to be directed toward reconstruction of Iraq, which he feared would be distributed inappropriately.

"He was against this $20 billion in no-bid contracts that was forced into the bill for reconstruction for the country of Iraq with no accountability," said Obama spokesman Bill Burton.

In a questionnaire he completed for the liberal group Council for a Livable World and in a 2003 press release he issued as a state senator, Obama suggested the Congress delay the $87 billion in funding "until the president provides a specific plan and timetable for ending the U.S. occupation, justifies each and every dollar to ensure it is not going to reward Bush political friends and contributors, and provides 'investment in our own schools, health care, economic development and job creation that is at least comparable' to what is going to Iraq."

More:

[url]http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=2970930[/url][/QUOTE]

so let's see....hussien is funding a "stupid" war....right...

let's hear it from the hussien obama lunatics- [B]WE WANT CHANGE![/B]
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 03-04-2008 at 05:08 PM.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2411262]so let's see....hussien is funding a "stupid" war....right...

[/QUOTE]

Why do you continue to refer to the man by his middle name?

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2411348]Why do you continue to refer to the man by his middle name?[/QUOTE]

Because in his goofy head he feels that the only way his party will win in November is to appeal to the lowest base of people.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2411348]Why do you continue to refer to the man by his middle name?[/QUOTE]

to celebrate his muslim heritage of course....