Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember that Alabama blackout of the 60 Minutes piece on Rove?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember that Alabama blackout of the 60 Minutes piece on Rove?

I love this. ... This censorship is just more evidence the whiney copout "liberal media bias" mantra is utterly laughable. ...

However, let's all stay tuned as this unflattering inquiry into Bush League vindictive politics is ultimately squashed...

[SIZE="4"]FCC official wants probe of "60 Minutes" black-out[/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][URL="http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN0338745620080303"]WASHINGTON (Reuters) [/URL]- A U.S. Federal Communications Commission official is seeking an inquiry into the blacking out of a politically charged segment of the CBS News magazine "60 Minutes" by a local television station in Alabama.

FCC Commissioner Michael Copps said he had asked the chairman of the FCC to open an inquiry into the February 24 incident at WHNT, a CBS affiliate in Huntsville, Alabama, in which civil rights footage from the 1960s was blacked out.

"The FCC now needs to find out if something analogous is going on here," Copps said at a luncheon with media watchdog groups. "Was this an attempt to suppress information on the public airwaves, or was it really just a technical problem?"

The "60 Minutes" segment centered on the prosecution of former Alabama Gov. Don Siegelman, who was convicted in 2006 on charges of corruption.
    [B]The program made the case that Siegelman had been wrongly convicted on the basis of a politically motivated case built by Republican prosecutors and White House political advisor Karl Rove.[/B]
    [/COLOR]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://www.esoterically.net/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/tinfoilhats.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2411567][IMG]http://www.esoterically.net/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/tinfoilhats.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

keep your head firmly in the sand

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2411567]nothingness[/QUOTE]

Way to contribute nothing relevant once again. At least you're consistent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    One time I was watching a Jets game and it was suddently changed to the movie "Heidi".

WTF??

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2411577]One time I was watching a Jets game and it was suddently changed to the movie "Heidi".

WTF??[/QUOTE]

With you being Heidi, indeed. What allegory.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    What exactly do you think this means really? Are you actually implying some grand conspiracy and cover up.......because one TV network, in Goatscrew Alabama choose not to run it?

So the entire nation saw it, but those devious Bushies knew the only place that mattered was.....Goatscrew Alabama?

Please, enlighten me here.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2411577]One time I was watching a Jets game and it was suddently changed to the movie "Heidi".

WTF??[/QUOTE]

It's awfully nice of your grand kids to let you use their computer...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2411957]What exactly do you think this means really? Are you actually implying some grand conspiracy and cover up.......because one TV network, in Goatscrew Alabama choose not to run it?

So the entire nation saw it, but those devious Bushies knew the only place that mattered was.....Goatscrew Alabama?

Please, enlighten me here.[/QUOTE]

"Goatscrew," even? Amazing that when liberals make stereotypical statements regarding the often-ignorant pro-Bush south, they're assailed by the indignant right. However, it's different when "enlightened" pro-Bushies do it I guess. Noted.

Anyhow, I believe the affected audience stretched across northern Alabama and into southern Tennessee. So much for the unfortunate, misguided insinuation.

Clearly, the point is merely to watch and see if the Bush League appointed FCC commissioner let's an investigation get started in the first place. Clearly one is warranted. [URL="http://thinkprogress.org/2008/02/25/60-minutes-blocked/"]Perspective[/URL]:

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Harper’s Scott Horton, who has investigated the Siegelman prosecution and was interviewed for the segment, reports:

[INDENT]I am now hearing from readers all across Northern Alabama–from Decatur to Huntsville and considerably on down–that a mysterious “service interruption” blocked the broadcast of only the Siegelman segment of 60 Minutes this evening. The broadcaster is Channel 19 WHNT, which serves Northern Alabama and Southern Tennessee.[/INDENT]

WHNT originally claimed last night that the blocked segment was due to “a techincal(sic) problem with CBS out of New York.” [B]But that claim was contradicted by CBS in New York, who told Horton, that “there is no delicate way to put this: the WHNT claim is not true. There were no transmission difficulties. The problems were peculiar to Channel 19[/B].”

WHNT now has a different explanation on its website:

[INDENT]NewsChannel 19 lost our program feed from CBS. Upon investigation, WHNT has learned that the CBS receiver that allows us to receive programming from CBS failed. WHNT engineers responded as quickly as possible to restore the feed at 6:12 p.m.[/INDENT][/COLOR]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2412120]"Goatscrew," even? Amazing that when liberals make stereotypical statements regarding the often-ignorant pro-Bush south, they're assailed by the indignant right. However, it's different when "enlightened" pro-Bushies do it I guess. Noted.
    [/QUOTE]
    Wouldn't exactly call Warfish a "pro-Bushie".

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2412120]"Goatscrew," even? Amazing that when liberals make stereotypical statements regarding the often-ignorant pro-Bush south, they're assailed by the indignant right. However, it's different when "enlightened" pro-Bushies do it I guess. Noted.[/quote]

Noted? Like what, you have a little notebook or something? Really?

I live in the South. Granted not a deep south as Goatscrew, AL, but still. That gives me the right to sel-mock. I'm fat too, you gonna question me when I make fat jokes?

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2412120]Clearly, the point is merely to watch and see if the Bush League appointed FCC commissioner let's an investigation get started in the first place. Clearly one is warranted.[/QUOTE]

Ok. I'm all for this investigation, if you think some law was broken. But you wouldn't be supporting this for your own political motivations......would you? Naaaa......

Wake me when this story has any actual meaning outside the standard issue political game of "my conspiracy theory is better than YOUR conspiracy theory".

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2412233]Wouldn't exactly call Warfish a "pro-Bushie".[/QUOTE]

Well, I suppose if by saying (repeatedly) that he is the worst President of the Modern Era, that his War in Iraq was a bad idea (pre-invastion) and that it has been horribly mismanged (post-invastion), that he is the single worst public speaker in the history of the United States, and a complete sham when it comes to anything resembling true conservatism, then yes.....I guess I am a pro-Bushie. :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Redneck,eh?

Redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck..

Awesome!

It's OK for me to say now...since I am a redneck! Woo-hoo! Flyover country sucks! Middle America is gay! Inbred hee-haw hillbilly quasi-patriotic stumpf**kers! Trailers for everyone~!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2412622]Redneck,eh?

Redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck...redneck..

Awesome!

It's OK for me to say now...since I am a redneck! Woo-hoo! Flyover country sucks! Middle America is gay! Inbred hee-haw hillbilly quasi-patriotic stumpf**kers! Trailers for everyone~![/QUOTE]

Don't Hate the Player. Personally, I find the name "Goatscrew, Alabama" to be rather humourous (and far less offensive than quite a bit posted in this very forum daily).

Hate the Game, where Speech isn't Free anymore, and only certain people can say certain things. As enforced by the PC Police.:rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2412669]Personally, I find the name "Goatscrew, Alabama" to be rather humourous [/QUOTE]

It is. My sister-cousin is from there.

Sincerely Yours,
    [I]Cleetus T. Jenkins
    Sheeprape, Pennsyltucky[/I]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Goatscrew, AL. Heheheheh.

Now that'd be REALLY funny if there actually was such a place.

Edit: google "goatscrew, alabama". First item - "The 10-member Special Forces team, part of the Alabama National Guard, returned to their ..... Biller characterized the chaotic mission as a "goatscrew." ...

2nd Edit - AH hell, I forgot my original point - The FCC is a goatscrew. The FCC should be eliminated. Thank God they keep me and my family from seeing Janet Jacksons nipple ring, and from hearing a "bad word" on the TV.
    Last edited by Big L; 03-05-2008 at 08:30 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2411541]I love this. ... This censorship is just more evidence the whiney copout "liberal media bias" mantra is utterly laughable. ...

However, let's all stay tuned as this unflattering inquiry into Bush League vindictive politics is ultimately squashed...

[/QUOTE]

A. Why don't you wait until the inquiry is complete and the findings published.

B. The affiliate in question subsequently aired the piece in its entirety, as well as posted the entire piece for 24/7 viewing on its web site

C. Do you really think anyone would be so naive to think they could get away with it without the resulting massive increase in awareness of the story that we're seeing today?

Stay tuned indeed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;2412779]A. Why don't you wait until the inquiry is complete and the findings published.

B. The affiliate in question subsequently aired the piece in its entirety, as well as posted the entire piece for 24/7 viewing on its web site

C.[B] Do you really think anyone would be so naive to think they could get away with it without the resulting massive increase in awareness of the story that we're seeing today?[/B]
    Stay tuned indeed.[/QUOTE]

You make an excellent point. Maybe it was a liberal plot to bring more coverage to the story through this created "controversy". Makes sense to me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;2412779]A. Why don't you wait until the inquiry is complete and the findings published.[/quote]

Who here waits for endless Bush League-tinged investigations to end before speculating about them? Oh, that's right. No one.

[QUOTE=shakin318;2412779]B. The affiliate in question subsequently aired the piece in its entirety, as well as posted the entire piece for 24/7 viewing on its web site[/quote]

Yeah, after enormous pressure. What did you think they were gonna do, stonewall?

[QUOTE=shakin318;2412779]C. Do you really think anyone would be so naive to think they could get away with it without the resulting massive increase in awareness of the story that we're seeing today?

Stay tuned indeed.[/QUOTE]

Look. CBS New York already said the Bama station's excuse of "technical glitch from the source" was bogus. So they're lying off the top. Are you buying the amazing coincidence that there just so happened to be a technical breakdown in the state in question that began at the immediate point the unflattering Rove piece began and ended? Perhaps you also bought mobile bioweapons labs, tubes for uranium enrichment, and unmanned drones attacking American shores? Some dumbass pro-Bush moron pulled the plug at the station, and an investigation is warranted.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2413961]
    Yeah, after enormous pressure. What did you think they were gonna do, stonewall?[/quote]

You don't actually think the frige who shares this constant-conspiratorial viewpoint on any issue "Bush" qualifies as "enormous pressure", do you?

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2413961]Look. CBS New York already said the Bama station's excuse of "technical glitch from the source" was bogus. So they're lying off the top.[/QUOTE]

Ah, now we see your problem. You buy into the honesty and integrity of CBS, without question or hesitation. Well, I guess it isn't just the "Bushies" that are easily led, eh? Let me guess, you believe everythign the New York Times says too, right?

Keep up the great work, I am SURE you're almost there in exposing the grand conspiracy. Future generations will call you hero. Really.