Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right Wing Radio

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Right Wing Radio

Do you think McCain basically wrapping up the nomination will somehow damage some of the right wing radio hosts who began to believe their own hype?

It seemed during the last, failed immigration bill, the talking heads made it seem as though they were the new power in the republican party.

I remember Sean Hannity challenging more than one senator by saying, "oh, how dare we question the all mighty Sen. (fill in the blank)."

Well, it seemed as though they focused their sights on exposing McCain as a flawed candidate. Some still do and attack him regularly.

Yet he won.

Will this quiet them down?

I doubt it, but it did give them the smack on the nose they needed after getting so high on themselves.

Arnold had it right and then he buckled when he said, "Rush Limbagh in inconsequential."

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2412440]Do you think McCain basically wrapping up the nomination will somehow damage some of the right wing radio hosts who began to believe their own hype?

It seemed during the last, failed immigration bill, the talking heads made it seem as though they were the new power in the republican party.

I remember Sean Hannity challenging more than one senator by saying, "oh, how dare we question the all mighty Sen. (fill in the blank)."

Well, it seemed as though they focused their sights on exposing McCain as a flawed candidate. Some still do and attack him regularly.

Yet he won.

I doubt it, but it did give them the smack on the nose they needed after getting so high on themselves.

Arnold had it right and then he buckled when he said, "Rush Limbagh in inconsequential."[/QUOTE]

No chance in Hell. Right Wing Radio will Thrive regardless, they always have (since their inception). The Big Players (Rush, Hannity and Levin and Ingarm types) will be just fine.

The rest of your post is, frankly, not accurate IMO. If you listened to these folks, you'd know that McCain winning is nothing of the sort of a "smack on the nose" to them directly. As a regular listener, I think your quite off base on your characterization of them. They're full of themslevs (after all, they sell personallity) but not in a "We run the party" way, although they'd likely be happy to do so.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2412464]No chance in Hell. Right Wing Radio will Thrive regardless, they always have (since their inception). The Big Players (Rush, Hannity and Levin and Ingarm types) will be just fine.

The rest of your post is, frankly, not accurate IMO. If you listened to these folks, you'd know that McCain winning is nothing of the sort of a "smack on the nose" to them directly. As a regular listener, I think your quite off base on your characterization of them. They're full of themslevs (after all, they sell personallity) but not in a "We run the party" way, although they'd likely be happy to do so.[/QUOTE]

I don't listen to them that much, but try to check them out when I can.

I felt that there was a lot of back-patting after the immigration bill failed.

I also don't think that it will not thrive, just more of a thought about their influence....

as a listener who do you like best? or worse? who would you recommend?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2412440]Do you think McCain basically wrapping up the nomination will somehow damage some of the right wing radio hosts who began to believe their own hype?

Yet he won.

Arnold had it right and then he buckled when he said, "Rush Limbagh in inconsequential."[/QUOTE]

The radio nazis did try to manipulate the voters in various ways. Its funny, if you sample each of their shows throughout a single day its clear that they all follow the same taking points. Then turn on fox and its much the same. They clearly tried to damage McCain, which is of course, a complete abuse of their power. These tools will always be around, even though they lost on the McCain front. When you have listeners who call in to thank the hosts for helping them to raise their kids, there will always be a base for them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Michael Weiner Savage...exerpt from his own book:

[QUOTE]"I choose to override my desires for men when they swell in me, waiting out the passions like a storm, below decks." While his wife stays home with the kids, he beds a young "cockswell" with a "dykish haircut" and skin "[s]ofter than that Northern Indian prostitute in Fiji whose covering was as soft as that of my own penis." [/QUOTE]

[url]http://dir.salon.com/story/news/feature/2003/03/05/savage/index.html[/url]

Listening regularly to right/left wing radio will lead to diarrhea of the brain. Turn it off. Don't do it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2412486]I felt that there was a lot of back-patting after the immigration bill failed.[/quote]

There was. Right Wing Radio brought alot of the "vocal complainer set" out to fight against it. You know, the kind of thing Liberals do all the time for issues they don't like.

[quote]I also don't think that it will not thrive, just more of a thought about their influence....[/quote]

I dont have their rating in fornt of me, but I don't think the bigs have lost any share as yet, and in fact you can thanks at least SOME portion of Hillary's renewal yesterday on Right Wing Radio telling Republicans to go vote Dem for her (an idea I disagree with strongly btw). All day yesterday was a litany of righty-listeners calling in to say they voted Hillary instead of Republican.

[quote]as a listener who do you like best? or worse? who would you recommend?[/QUOTE]

Rush, of course. You just have to remember he is as much entertainment and he is so-called enlightenment (to steal Glenn Beck's tagline). He is a bloviating blowhard, ignorant on most issues of science, btu is a keen political mind, makes good arguments usually, and IS entertaining regardless. Again, just remember what you are listening to before you go in.

Hannity is okay, his pomp "great American" thing, and his God-talk all the time wears thin on me personally, but he too can be enetertaining. And he gets alot of good Republican (and talking head) interviews.

Avoid Mark Levin, he's just a dick. To everyone. And his voice sucks and he's a bad speaker for radio. But...in fairness, CBTNY Loves him, and CBTNY knows his conservative-ness. Oh, and Michael Savage is a tool.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2412612]The radio nazis did try to manipulate the voters in various ways.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious, in what specific ways would you comapre Right Wing Radio Entertainment (or their much smaller, less popular and more aggressive mirror image, Left Wing Radio) to the Nazi Party of WWII Germany?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2412674]There was. Right Wing Radio brought alot of the "vocal complainer set" out to fight against it. You know, the kind of thing Liberals do all the time for issues they don't like.

I dont have their rating in fornt of me, but I don't think the bigs have lost any share as yet, and in fact you can thanks at least SOME portion of Hillary's renewal yesterday on Right Wing Radio telling Republicans to go vote Dem for her (an idea I disagree with strongly btw). All day yesterday was a litany of righty-listeners calling in to say they voted Hillary instead of Republican.

Rush, of course. You just have to remember he is as much entertainment and he is so-called enlightenment (to steal Glenn Beck's tagline). He is a bloviating blowhard, ignorant on most issues of science, btu is a keen political mind, makes good arguments usually, and IS entertaining regardless. Again, just remember what you are listening to before you go in.

Hannity is okay, his pomp "great American" thing, and his God-talk all the time wears thin on me personally, but he too can be enetertaining. And he gets alot of good Republican (and talking head) interviews.

Avoid Mark Levin, he's just a dick. To everyone. And his voice sucks and he's a bad speaker for radio. But...in fairness, CBTNY Loves him, and CBTNY knows his conservative-ness. Oh, and Michael Savage is a tool.

[B]I'm curious, in what specific ways would you comapre Right Wing Radio Entertainment (or their much smaller, less popular and more aggressive mirror image, Left Wing Radio) to the Nazi Party of WWII Germany?[/[/B]QUOTE]

the art of propaganda.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2412678][QUOTE=Warfish;2412674]
    [B]I'm curious, in what specific ways would you comapre Right Wing Radio Entertainment (or their much smaller, less popular and more aggressive mirror image, Left Wing Radio) to the Nazi Party of WWII Germany?[/B][/QUOTE]

the art of propaganda.[/QUOTE]

Well, hell, I guess we're ALL Nazi's then by that standard. I mean lets be real, Air America (as just one example) engages in exactly the same kind of message-speak, except they do it angrier, and far less entertainingly. Is Air America Nazi's too?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B]the art of propaganda.[/QUOTE][/B]

Actually, they spend most of the time counteracting leftist propaganda and indoctrination, specifically when it comes to Global Warming.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2412689]except they do it angrier[/QUOTE]

The anger levels are the same on both sides. No difference.

Rush Limbaugh's spittle caked microphone is evidence enough...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I find it hard to accept the notion that they think they run the party when not one of them endorsed a single candidate.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;2412764]I find it hard to accept the notion that they think they run the party when not one of them endorsed a single candidate.[/QUOTE]

Don't you get it, man. That's part of their evil diabolical plan. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Warfish;2412674]Rush, of course. You just have to remember he is as much entertainment and he is so-called enlightenment (to steal Glenn Beck's tagline). He is a bloviating blowhard, ignorant on most issues of science, btu is a keen political mind, makes good arguments usually, and IS entertaining regardless. Again, just remember what you are listening to before you go in.

[/quote]

I actually tend to listen to Levin driving back from the train at night, just for the humor.

Last night one of his listeners asked him if the Weather Underground had anything to do with "that weather website, because I use it all the time"

Funniest thing I've heard in a while.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I listen to Hannity on the commute home, mainly because there's nothing else on. Sports talk is terrible and the music stations are awful. (I need my XM back :( )

I agree with Warfish, though. Hannity's "Great American" schtick is cheesy as hell. I agree with him on some issues, but then he goes off on what a wonderful and principled man Bush is, and I want to turn the car into the divider.

Limbaugh certainly has the best voice for the radio. I don't get to listen to him much because his website is blocked at work. Like Fish said, he's good entertainment, but I find his arrogance to be irritating.

Levin is just unlistenable. If you could record prostate cancer, it would sound like his voice.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;2413143]
    Levin is just unlistenable. If you could record prostate cancer, it would sound like his voice.[/QUOTE]He is my favorite of the three. Love his breakdown of Constitutional Law. A very intelligent man. Yes, he comes off as gruff at times (which personally I find entertaining), but he knows of what he speaks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2413173]He is my favorite of the three. Love his breakdown of Constitutional Law. A very intelligent man. Yes, he comes off as gruff at times (which personally I find entertaining), but he knows of what he speaks.[/QUOTE]

THANK ME!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Company_Man;2413178]THANK ME![/QUOTE]
    :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;2413143]If you could record prostate cancer, it would sound like his voice.[/QUOTE]

:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Savage!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I listen to parts of Rush, Hannity, and Levin's shows nearly every day.

Something about Rush and Sean that no one here has brought up is that they are far from the Republican Kool-Aid drinkers that many make them out to be. I've heard both of them blast the Bush administration repeatedly for mimicking Democratic big spending on items like energy, education, and prescription drugs; for open-borders immigration; for laying down on McCain-Feingold; and for the ridiculous Harriet Myers Supreme Court nomination that thankfully was aborted. These are just a few of the issues, but I can tell you from years of listening to them that they are not shy about ripping into Bush when they feel he's gone wrong - and that's happened all too often. Having said that, they are also staunch, rock-ribbed Conservatives who worship at the altar of Ronald Reagan and will defend those Conservative principles all day and every day.

As to Levin, I confess that I can take him only in small doses. Like a previous poster pointed out, the man knows his constitutional law and has eviscerated callers who presume to lecture him on his specialty. In this area he deals in fact and The Law. But... I cannot abide the way he cuts off callers and calls them juvenile names. Rush and Sean at least give callers with opposing viewpoints an honest hearing before having their say. Levin doesn't even let these callers get to first base, and if you're a talk show host taking calls, that's just wrong.