Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another faux pas by an Obama

Another faux pas by an Obama

Got this excerpt from Ben Johnson's latest column on frontpagemag:

... Last night, Obama clarified his vagaries with platitudes, illuminated by bromides and anecdotes. He succeeded only in that he certainly failed to motivate.

He posited the ways he would care for a hypothetical American child. He assured, “if that child should ever get the chance to travel the world and someone should ask her where is she from, we believe that she should always be able to hold her head high with pride in her voice when she answers, ‘I am an American.’”

This was an exceedingly odd elocution for a man dodging accusations that his wife has not been “proud” of her country “in my adult lifetime.” And this is precisely the dividing line between Barack(or Hillary) and McCain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very interesting choice of words. :yes:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Company_Man;2413085]Got this excerpt from Ben Johnson's latest column on frontpagemag:

... Last night, Obama clarified his vagaries with platitudes, illuminated by bromides and anecdotes. He succeeded only in that he certainly failed to motivate.

He posited the ways he would care for a hypothetical American child. He assured, “if that child should ever get the chance to travel the world and someone should ask her where is she from, we believe that she should always be able to hold her head high with pride in her voice when she answers, ‘I am an American.’”

This was an exceedingly odd elocution for a man dodging accusations that his wife has not been “proud” of her country “in my adult lifetime.” And this is precisely the dividing line between Barack(or Hillary) and McCain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very interesting choice of words. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Have you travelled abroad lately? People HATE us and I too cringe sometimes when I say I am American knowing what the reaction is going to be.

[QUOTE=ChadLover;2413123]Have you travelled abroad lately? People HATE us and I too cringe sometimes when I say I am American knowing what the reaction is going to be.[/QUOTE]

I've been all over the world and I've never "cringed" saying "I am an American".

In some places it is jsut easier to say you are Canadian.

[QUOTE=klynch;2413126]In some places it is jsut easier to say you are Canadian.[/QUOTE]

Why not walk the walk and move to Canada?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Company_Man;2413125]I've been all over the world and I've never "cringed" saying "I am an American".[/QUOTE]

Well a lot of people feel differently and that was the point he was trying to make. The result is often a debate about America's foreign policy which many people do not feel they can defend, nor do they want to. It is easy to suggest that one should not get into the debate to begin with or to just state that they disagree with the country's foreign policy but sometimes it is just easier to not have to respond at all.

[QUOTE=ChadLover;2413171]Well a lot of people feel differently and that was the point he was trying to make. The result is often a debate about America's foreign policy which many people do not feel they can defend, nor do they want to. It is easy to suggest that one should not get into the debate to begin with or to just state that they disagree with the country's foreign policy but sometimes it is just easier to not have to respond at all.[/QUOTE]

So you are saying that right now, you "hang your head low", but if Obama becomes president, you will be able to "hold your head high"?

I for one have never had a problem holding my head up when telling someone I am American.

If you are ashamed, don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you!!!

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=Company_Man;2413125]I've been all over the world and I've never "cringed" saying "I am an American".[/QUOTE]

you are my hero

anychance you'll run for office?

[QUOTE=Buster;2413194]you are my hero

anychance you'll run for office?[/QUOTE]

:bigcry:

SOMEBODY LOVES AMERICA! BOO HOO HOO!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Company_Man;2413175]So you are saying that right now, you "hang your head low", but if Obama becomes president, you will be able to "hold your head high"?[/QUOTE]

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about things changing with Obama being president.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Company_Man;2413134]Why not walk the walk and move to Canada?[/QUOTE]

We are hoping that's where you'll go...

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2413234]We are hoping that's where you'll go...[/QUOTE]

The internet was a godsend in your life, wasn't it? You get to register on MB's and hold everybody hostage with your horrible humor.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=ChadLover;2413123]Have you travelled abroad lately? People HATE us and I too cringe sometimes when I say I am American knowing what the reaction is going to be.[/QUOTE]

I travel all over the world for work. Quite often to places you would never imagine going to and where you would think they hate us. I have NEVER met someone that said they hate America or Americans. They may have some choice words about our Government in general or our President in particular, but people are able to compartmentalize the differences between politics and the general population quite well.

If you cringe saying you are an American, clearly it is because you are unable to communicate with people that may think differently than you.

All Pro
    Ill second the statement that I have never had an issue stating that I am an American. If someone has an issue with having pride being an American, they need a reality check...

when something terrible happens somewhere in the world, who responds with aid? America

which country gives an absolutely insane amount of money to established and developing countries around the world to help their citizens survive and have hope for a somewhat normal life? America

which country allows an individual to live their life according to almost any method as long as it doesnt harm others? America

which country leads the world in not only economic stability, medical research and technology, job stability and employement and overall quality of life? America

If you are not happy here, dont live here. If people abroad hate us so much, why do they accept our aid? It always dumbfounds me that people "hate" America so much abroad, when in reality its probably American money and interestes that has allowed their country to develop.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Company_Man;2413241]The internet was a godsend in your life, wasn't it? You get to register on MB's and hold everybody hostage with your horrible humor.[/QUOTE]

That wasn't meant as a joke. It was serious. Please. Move to Canada.

Besides, horrible humor is still better than obsessive compulsive retarded thread starting. It's easy to scroll past by my idiotic ramblings and pointless picture postings...everyone here does it. But your repetitious O.D.S. threads are like a heaping steaming pile of turds that won't flush...
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 03-05-2008 at 12:14 PM.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2413283]That wasn't meant as a joke. It was serious. Please. Move to Canada.

Besides, horrible humor is still better than obsessive compulsive retarded thread starting. It's easy to scroll past by my idiotic ramblings and pointless picture postings...everyone here does it. But your repetitious O.D.S. threads are like a heaping steaming pile of turds that won't flush...[/QUOTE]

My threads don't need your approval dip****, and that heaping steaming pile of turds is your contribution to them.

[QUOTE=klynch;2413126]In some places it is jsut easier to say you are Canadian.[/QUOTE]
    Cowards become cowards by valuing "easy" over "right".

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2413283]That wasn't meant as a joke. It was serious. Please. Move to Canada.

Besides, horrible humor is still better than obsessive compulsive retarded thread starting. It's easy to scroll past by my idiotic ramblings and pointless picture postings...everyone here does it. But your repetitious O.D.S. threads are like a heaping steaming pile of turds that won't flush...[/QUOTE]

another ignorant, intolerant hypocrite from the left....yet God forbid someone refers to another on this forum as a commie...

pk- a poster who claims "both sides suk" and how he plays it "down the middle" has once again proven how full of sh!t he is....

prepare yourself company man- this sc^mbag will soon tell you to have your children euthanized...that's his history....

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Company_Man;2413332]My threads don't need your approval dip****, and that heaping steaming pile of turds is your contribution to them.[/QUOTE]

I never said they needed my approval, Captain...did I?

You threads are nonsense. I don't need to dole out approvals to point that out. A quick scan of the board makes that apparent enough...

And as far as my contributions being a pile of turds...I won't argue that. It's true, it's true. But that's across the board when it comes to your threads, it's like trying to wipe up sh*t with piss...